Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
mommypooh
Registered Users

Re: Update on my mama wiht no prenatal care

I have always made sure I have enough beds for everyone because of CPS. I know that is one thing they look for and if I am already set up that means the quicker they get out of my home and life.

I do think that is totally stupid, I stopped attending well child visits because I am holding off on more Vax's for now, and I get them weghted and measured twice a year at WIC. I don't really see the need to take them in when there is not a single thing wrong.

I am glad to hear the baby is doing great.

Advertisement

mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

my ds's are each lacking a vax right now....it's one that's required in TX that's not in CO and i honestly just haven't taken them in for it or a well child since we've been here. i dunno call me lazy i guess.
other than that, yes we do have enough beds for everyone in our home...yes partially b/c i don't want people walking into my home and seeing my children w/o beds. although both ds1 and ds2 don't sleep even in their room....they sleep on the floor in the hallway by choice. so yeah we wasted about $400 on beds that they don't even sleep in, and knew that they wouldn't sleep in. i'd feel bad if they didn't have the beds though. i think i might get some sleep mats though b/c i hate them sleeping on carpet too!!!!

oh and i'm glad to hear you're providing just something for the baby to come home in!! that's good that she kept all those clothes at least lol. now she just needs to get to washing. really she should've done that as soon as she figured out she wanted to keep the baby...i just don't get some people!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13

Last edited by myajdw; 07-27-2006 at 12:12 PM.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I'm glad baby and mom are OK. I'd been following what you'd been saying, but hadn't spoken up yet.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #14
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh ugh ugh.

Glad the baby is ok..ticked that our system is so screwed. I cannot ABIDE by the DHR people stepping in and snooping! ARg!! Dont bother me, go down teh way to the ladies house who;s kids are barely bathed, never taken outside, only fed pb&j, and talked to like dogs, and live in no electricity half the time b/c their mom wont stop buying FREAKING CRAP she doesnt need.

Vent over.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
CheaperByTheDozen
Registered Users

I think CPS needs help. Their system is such a mess. I see more harm then good with them. Which is shame since they COULD be helping instead of HURTING families... I mean isn't that the point?
CheaperByTheDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

CPS does need HELP....i personally know kids that have been helped by CPS though (my dh being a grown example of that) so i think we do need to remember that CPS does help. thing is unless they do investigate something when it's called in they never really will know right? but yes, too many cases do go overlooked and this i have seen as well. a big problem lies though with some of these "overlooked" cases they are refused access and in some situations it's hard for them to get the warrant w/o enough "evidence" which they can't access. sometimes they themselves get caught between a rock and a hard place. one thing to remember if they're called on you for no reason and you know they won't find anything....allow them the access and to do their job so time isn't wasted on a useless case and they can use the rest of their time on one that needs their attention. by not allowing the access we're backing them up further.

just so the right tone is taken lol: i'm not griping at anyone!!! just simply saying there's a million different ways to look at this and to not forget all the kids who are helped!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well IMO, I think the DSS should step in. She didn't have prenatal care until a week before delivery and that was just as a concerned mommy and MW student and has nothing ready for the baby?? I can understand if she made the choice to do home prenatal care (which I know moms who do and think that's ok in MOST situations) but she just didn't go and had no reason why she didn't. That's just neglectful, not only to herself but her unborn child. Where is she living? How is he supporting herself? How does she plan on transporting baby to the dr? Well Baby visits may not be required by law, but not taking your child for those visits is neglectful to me. If your doing home care or seeing a holistic dr, at least there is some form of care there. Its not to say that ppl don't have the choice, but usually there is a good reason behind it.
I'm just seeing 2 sides to this, one is you seeing this mom and baby needed help and the other is trashing a system designed to help. Yes you've had a bad experience with them and they're not perfect, but by all means... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Its designed to help her get the proper treatment forthe baby. What if he ends up with jaundice and is dehydrated and she's not able to have him monitored by a dr and he gets brain damage? What if she never gets the results from a thyroid test they did at birth and doesn't know he's sick and needs treatment? What if she refused all tests at the hospital b/c of costs and the baby has PKU and isn't being cared for properly? Than everyone would be all over DSS for NOT going in and looking. Unfortunatly someone needs to step in and evaluate her parenting skills. You said yourself she has the clothes but never washed them. I was washing clothes for weeks in preperation for my child's birth. Did she have diapers? Did she have a carseat? I know some states provide them but some don't... mine is one of the ones that does if you take a carseat safety class but if she doesn't go to the dr why would she do that? IMO this is the type of situation where DSS needs to be contacted. Just my
Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad baby and mom are both doing well...

Don't get me started on CPS. My nephew's mother (my bros ex) beat him with a belt leaving bright red welts, and threw him out in the dead on Iowa winter with no coat or shoes (he was 11/12 at the time, but that was NOT the first documented case on abuse). He walked to the police station where officers took pictures of the belt marks. My parents were called to go get him. The mother was taken to court but given back custody of my nephew!!!!!!!! (The judge said the only place for a child was with the mother ) No supervision, nothing. Ultimately my nephew ended up in bad dealings with the law (how could he not with a mother like that?) Finally, my parents fought hard enough to get custody of him (only because they finally convinced his mom to sign away her rights, don't ask about where my bro was, that's another story lleyes2. He's now 17 and getting good grades in school. Where is his mom now? Prison on drug charges. Let me say I totally believe in the system (sarcasm on my face and all)
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok I am alittle confused and maybe there is more to the situation than I know of, but whats the big deal with no prenatal? I do unsaaisted preg. and unassited homebirths. I have healthy, "big" babies. so maybe
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bluemoon- Just out of curiousity (not being rude!) do you monitor your blood pressure, baby's heartbeat, position of baby, fundal height or anything an OB or MW would normally do? A friend of mine did home care (with her dh) with their last 4 of 8 kids. She didn't go to the dr or MW and did unassisted deliveries as well. But she did monitor herself and made sure her BP was normal and the baby's HB was normal. Her & her dh also learned how to identify parts and the baby's presentation so that she knew when she delivered the baby wasn't transverse or breech and if the baby was posterior they knew ways to help ease delivery. I'm not preaching that everyone should have prenatal care by a physician, I just think SOME monitoring is wise. I've had high blood pressure and eclamptic seizures as well as post-partum cardiomyopathy (heart failure) and preterm labor. Blood pressure and the baby's position are the 2 things I find critical from my previous experiences. My 5th son was all over the place from breech to transverse to vertex in a matter of 1 day. The only time it would have been critical was if I went into labor while he was transverse and didn't know.
The girl in question just doesn't seem to fit your normal every day naturally inclined person who chose to do these things out of an educated decision. My take was the she chose to not get care out of ignorance, not education.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 07-28-2006 at 03:33 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote