Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Any info on the '5W' supplement?

I am about 35 weeks and just about to start taking the 5W supplement. I did a good deal of research and my midwives are in agreement and supportive of me taking it for the 5 weeks leading up to our due date.

I just wondering if any one has first hand experience with it??

My main reason for taking the supplement is because I tend to have a very long third stage of labor with my placenta taking around 45 min to be delivered, and now with additional pregnancies, it makes my after pains much much worse.

any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

MamaNolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any info on the '5W' supplement?

I havent used 5W but I've used this formula for my last birth and its similar. I dont know if it was coincidence or if it actually helped but my first birth that I didnt take it with was 6 hours long and I tore badly, lost alot of blood and had a rough recovery. My 2nd birth I did take this and my labor was 3 hours, I tore but not nearly as bad and lost very little blood. I felt amazing after birth!! I'm 26 weeks pregnant with #3 and plan to start taking it again at 35 weeks. We shall see how this one goes!
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I took Gentle Birth Formula with my last birth, #4 (I chose it after a lot of comparisons, and I like the company). It was the first time I've ever taken a birth prep formula, and coincidentally, it was also the first birth where I've had ANY bleeding prior to passing the placenta and I also had postpartum pre-eclampsia 5 days later. He was also my only baby with meconium staining, though that could have been completely unrelated as he was a little post-dates (had almost NO vernix left!) and it was light, so no reason for concern.

I had taken it because my previous birth was stalled at 6 hours at COMPLETE. I had to reach in and pinch the membranes after 8 hours of labor and get them to break, then he shot right out in two very fast pushes, even as a very big baby, and no tearing. So I was hoping that since my body progresses into labor very easily (for example, I'm always a good 5cm for WEEKS before I go into labor at 40+, baby is always well engaged, etc), that the birth prep formula would help things move along faster the next time.

Anyway, it didn't...my labor was LONGER, 16 hours, and I ended up having to do the same thing- reach in, break the membranes, and out he came immediately. My issues seems to be more of one with membranes of steel. LOL

But the good thing was (and I don't know if it's because of the birth formula or what) that the 16 hours were for the most part VERY manageable. The pain was so mild much of the time that it was frustrating because I felt like it should be hurting so much more.

As for placentas, mine is usually within the 30-60 minute range, too. That's totally normal. Not a pleasant thing to wait on sometimes though, I know.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

After birth pains are always worse with additional kids

Also I delivered my placentas between 30-60 minutes with ask my kids

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I took Gentle Birth Formula with my last birth, #4 (I chose it after a lot of comparisons, and I like the company). It was the first time I've ever taken a birth prep formula, and coincidentally, it was also the first birth where I've had ANY bleeding prior to passing the placenta and I also had postpartum pre-eclampsia 5 days later. He was also my only baby with meconium staining, though that could have been completely unrelated as he was a little post-dates (had almost NO vernix left!) and it was light, so no reason for concern.

I had taken it because my previous birth was stalled at 6 hours at COMPLETE. I had to reach in and pinch the membranes after 8 hours of labor and get them to break, then he shot right out in two very fast pushes, even as a very big baby, and no tearing. So I was hoping that since my body progresses into labor very easily (for example, I'm always a good 5cm for WEEKS before I go into labor at 40+, baby is always well engaged, etc), that the birth prep formula would help things move along faster the next time.

Anyway, it didn't...my labor was LONGER, 16 hours, and I ended up having to do the same thing- reach in, break the membranes, and out he came immediately. My issues seems to be more of one with membranes of steel. LOL

But the good thing was (and I don't know if it's because of the birth formula or what) that the 16 hours were for the most part VERY manageable. The pain was so mild much of the time that it was frustrating because I felt like it should be hurting so much more.

As for placentas, mine is usually within the 30-60 minute range, too. That's totally normal. Not a pleasant thing to wait on sometimes though, I know.

wow thats so interesting. have you talked with your midwife (or the equivalent) and found any reasons for your longer labor and bleeding?
I hang out around 4-7cm for the weeks before I go into labor too. I guess I'm having the same thought, that if I can go into labor fine and well on my own, that taking these supplements will help me in the back half.

thanks for chiming in, its given me more to think about.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
I havent used 5W but I've used this formula for my last birth and its similar. I dont know if it was coincidence or if it actually helped but my first birth that I didnt take it with was 6 hours long and I tore badly, lost alot of blood and had a rough recovery. My 2nd birth I did take this and my labor was 3 hours, I tore but not nearly as bad and lost very little blood. I felt amazing after birth!! I'm 26 weeks pregnant with #3 and plan to start taking it again at 35 weeks. We shall see how this one goes!
keep everyone posted on how your experience goes using that formula again!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
After birth pains are always worse with additional kids

Also I delivered my placentas between 30-60 minutes with ask my kids

thanks. its reassuring to hear that not everyone finishes their '3rd stage' seconds after the baby's born!
(when I had my first daughter everyone was like "oh my placenta came out immediately" *insert weird glances*) :P
Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNolley View Post
wow thats so interesting. have you talked with your midwife (or the equivalent) and found any reasons for your longer labor and bleeding?
I hang out around 4-7cm for the weeks before I go into labor too. I guess I'm having the same thought, that if I can go into labor fine and well on my own, that taking these supplements will help me in the back half.

thanks for chiming in, its given me more to think about.
Neither was a concern at all, just sort of annoying on the labor length part. LOL But it was just something for me to note being that those things that occurred were out of the ordinary and the only thing I did different was the birth prep formula. The most disconcerting thing was the postpartum pre-eclampsia. That was terrifying. Again, there's no telling if the birth prep contributed or caused any of that, but it was all enough to keep *me* from using one again.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took 5W for my last two births. I already have fast labors so I am not sure it did much to "help" that. I did not go early with having taken it. I did however recover faster, with less PPD and the after pains were so much better and easier to deal with. I did notice less bleeding after as well. I had to get two bottles to get me through the whole time starting at 35 weeks because I go over about a week. I recommend it
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boys2007 View Post
I took 5W for my last two births. I already have fast labors so I am not sure it did much to "help" that. I did not go early with having taken it. I did however recover faster, with less PPD and the after pains were so much better and easier to deal with. I did notice less bleeding after as well. I had to get two bottles to get me through the whole time starting at 35 weeks because I go over about a week. I recommend it

thank you thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for! So glad you had a good experience!