Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
ajaynak
Registered Users
seller

Home birth thread?

I am not pregnant but am already planning what I would like next time around. I think a home birth would be wonderful but I think I would need a ton of information before we were comfortable enough to proceed. In my area there have been several losses and near losses associated with home births! Where do you find the information you need for this decision?

Advertisement

ajaynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Home birth thread?

I LOVE giving birth at home. This will be our 4th homebirth (first assisted one). It is an amazing, empowering experience. Of course, I feel SO much more confident at home, so that impacts my pain tolerance a lot (I can handle more) and fear (I'm not afraid of the pain or the possibilities), but I know many women who are opposite and therefore simply do better in a hospital setting. I do think that homebirth is "healthier" for many reasons in a normal pregnancy (though we don't have any really great hospitals in my area to compare to, either), but just like anything else (choosing a hospital birth included!), you certainly need to know what you're doing and why!

I would probably take the time to look into the reasons for those complications and losses, as oftentimes it isn't BECAUSE of the homebirth, and likely would have happened in a hospital too. (hospital statistics aren't always the greatest either, we just don't hear about those as often or they are slightly "skewed"...take for example, hemmorhage- a lot of cases in hospitals are because OB's like to manually remove placentas too early. But would they call it like it is? Chances are, no.) I'd also try to connect with other women who've successfully birthed at home in your area, and get to know midwives where you live.

Read homebirth stories. Those are what got me thinking the most- yes, they are others personal experiences, but they helped me think more about the specifics of my own births and gave me a better idea of where to start my own research (as well as got me excited for the experience!). Familiarize yourself with midwifery. I LOVE learning about the "other side" of homebirth, from the midwife perspective- I think it really balances things out for me. I love the book "Heart & Hands" for this. You can also educate yourself on the emergency side (a great book for that is B.E.S.T "Birth Emergency Skills Training"), so that you can have a better idea of what can be done in situations and feel more control over it.

Education yourself on birth is never a waste and honestly, I think EVERY woman should be prepared to birth at home (unassisted, even), should it happen. Not only will it give you knowledge about home birth, but you will feel more confident and prepared no matter where you choose to have your baby.

Good luck!