Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Ways to make money at home???

We have always been considered poverty level, but we have always made do and been happy. Well, as of late due to dh's back injury worsening to the point that he is unable to work without extream pain, our income has plunged into the abyss. We are a family of 6 and what is brought in is about $1000-$1200 per month. Our monthy bills:
Cell phones $100
House phone $35
Light bill $230 (and dropping)
Credit Card $100
Car ins $120
Life Ins $28
Garbage $6
Food $400 (with scrimping)
Gas $200 (we live in the boonies and this is cutting way back)
And now renewed house ins $100
Often times are more than dh is able to bring in since he has to take off so many days of work. He is a carpenter. That and bad backs don't mix.

We would cut off the cell phones but we have a ds that is in college and travels. There are no pay phones should he break down. Same for me and dh. We were gonna cut off the house phone, but then oldest dd and youngest ds would have no phone if we left with the cells. It is a pretty good run through the woods should something happen and they have to go to the inlaws for help. Now that the heat is gone and we have turned off anythign we can, including the ac, our bill is dropping so that will help. I want to drop the car insurance to just liability, but dh is sooo concerned that something will happen and we will be left vehicaless. I was gonna let the trailer insurance go but dh is nervous that it would burn down and we would be homeless. We do have wireing problems and have no money to get it fixed.

We have a two year old and the thought of me having to leave the home to get a job rips my heart out. I love this lo sooooo much and I don't want to miss a thing!! I don't think baby sitting is an option like it once was as our trailer is now over crowded with us 6 living here that I would be scared to have to be responsible for another lo's well being. We are NOT baby proof anymore like we were when our oldest 3 were babes.

I have no writing skills for ebooks and the likes.
Everything I have thought of makeing to sell cost so much to make and so long to make it that I would be making 50 cents an hour. It aint worth it.

Oldest ds is doing college FULL time and has no extra time for work till this summer. Oldest dd is trying to do pencil skectches for money. Youngest ds will have to get a licence before he can get a job. Both ds used to work with dh. Them days are about gone. If I were to get a job outside of the home I would have to travel 30 miles one way.

So my question: is there anything I can do at home to earn money? We ahve sold most stuff around here. There are a few items I could sell IF we got hungry enough, but I hope to not get to that point. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
hssusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ways to make money at home???

Is there any assistance you qualify for? WIC? Food Stamps? Is there an Angel Food network in your area?

Can you cut down your grocery bill any more?

Can you call around and make sure you have the best possible car insurance rates?

I think your oldest DS MUST take on the responsibility of the cell phone he is using. A very part-time job on his part could cut your burden on that at least.

Have you sold anything and everything you can think of on Craigslist / Ebay / the Trading post here?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that is tough. Can DH make things to sell on his days off? Does he have access to wood and tools that could be made into toys, small furniture or something? If he could sit on a stool to make small stuff would he be able to? Is there another job he can get...switch careers?

There are so few at home jobs that bring in REAL money. I don't really know of any good legitimate ones that don't require up front costs.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaMarie View Post
Is there any assistance you qualify for? WIC? Not unless I agree to immunizations. MS has no religious exemptions like the rest of the states.
Food Stamps? No cuz our vehicles (ours and our son's are valued at more than $2000 together.
Is there an Angel Food network in your area? Nope.

Can you cut down your grocery bill any more? The prices are higher here than the rest of the nation. $400 for 5 full grown people and a 2 yo is rock bottom.

Can you call around and make sure you have the best possible car insurance rates? We did. The only thinkg left is liability only.

I think your oldest DS MUST take on the responsibility of the cell phone he is using. He does. He uses the money he saved for college to pay his portion of the ph bill but his portion is only about $15.
A very part-time job on his part could cut your burden on that at least. He really is FULL time. He is an engineering student. I don't want to risk him loosing his scholarships because he is too exhausted to keep up his grades. They are the only way he will be able to continue his education. For his future to be brighter than our we MUST allow him to continue his education without risking his scholarships.

Have you sold anything and everything you can think of on Craigslist / Ebay / the Trading post here? All but the last resort things.

THANKS MUCH!!!!

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
razz116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about babysitting? Could you take in another child to watch? Around here, it's about $150 for full time childcare for 1 weeks so you could boost your income some that way.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineNature View Post
Wow, that is tough. Can DH make things to sell on his days off? Does he have access to wood and tools that could be made into toys, small furniture or something? If he could sit on a stool to make small stuff would he be able to? This he has wanted to do for years. Because of our location geographically, and having no location close to town it will not work. Folks simply won't travel this far out. I don't blame them. We have considered selling online, but marketing has been difficult. Is there another job he can get...switch careers? Twelth grade education. No college. No other training. 50 years old. Blind in one eye due to a job accident off shore when he was 18. Bad back. Walmart Greater???

There are so few at home jobs that bring in REAL money. I don't really know of any good legitimate ones that don't require up front costs. This is what I fear.
THANK YOU!!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz116 View Post
What about babysitting? Could you take in another child to watch? Around here, it's about $150 for full time childcare for 1 weeks so you could boost your income some that way.
When I did this 10 years ago I got paid $10 a day for one child. That was the going rate. I don't know how much the charge is now, but our trailer is too congested to be able to safely do child care. I have enough difficultly keeping dd away from the plug ends, sewing machines, etc. I would be a total basket case afraid that someone's child would be harmed in my home.

THANKS MUCH!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

not sure if any of us are close and could help but what area are you in?

I am really good at the Michigan emergency help....I am sure some other mamas are good at other states...
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does DH qualify for Social Security Disability?
I know a lot of mamas on here would love to buy handmade wooden toys for Christmas. You could post on the WAHM board for free (after you sign up for it).
I know 30 miles seems like a long commute, but if it meant you could get a job making $1000+ a month it might be worth it.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HUGE, HUGE for you, mama. I totally feel for you. I work from home doing customer service for an online-based store. The best thing I can suggest is to find different stores on the internet and apply to do customer service. Different diaper stores, maybe? Your family is in my prayers.

Oh, I wanted to add, DH just started back to school to finish his engineering degree. He works at Home Depot PT (30 hrs a week), carries a 17 hour course load, and we have two small kiddos, I know how hard it is, and I applaud your son for going to school to better himself. Tell him to stick to it!

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote