Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shots

I hope I am not hijacking your thread!

I have a question for those that choose not to vax... what do you do when your dc is in school? We had decided not to vax after dd had a bad reaction to the mmr shots. She had all the ones before those and the chicken pox one too. We have gotten SO MUCH crap from school I cannot even begin to tell you!

Unfortunatley, until our adoption is done with dd#2, the vax choice is not ours to make. By then she will have had so many already!

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygirls
thank you all for the comments and links to research this. We did go to the doctor tonight and I opted for NO vacs today, and the dr was willing to work with us on a delayed vax schedule!! :whoohoo: I feel much better about the decision that my dh and I made today.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70
I hope I am not hijacking your thread!

I have a question for those that choose not to vax... what do you do when your dc is in school? We had decided not to vax after dd had a bad reaction to the mmr shots. She had all the ones before those and the chicken pox one too. We have gotten SO MUCH crap from school I cannot even begin to tell you!

Unfortunatley, until our adoption is done with dd#2, the vax choice is not ours to make. By then she will have had so many already!
We homeschool so it's not an issue for us, BUT there are exemptions in every state. You can either claim a philosophical, religious, or medical exemption. But not all states have all three, some states only have one or two options.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There were two threads a few weeks ago with lots of wonderful info on state laws for non-vaxers in school, as well as more info and links for vax info. Here they are:
http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...7703#msg277703
http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...9531#msg279531

Here's one for the mamas of autistic children, too:
http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...0912#msg280912
Old 05-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLove
Most importantly, you don't want any shots with mercury, since the levels have been increased and are clearly causing autism in healthy children.
Science REFUSES to acknowledge any connection, though there are Mamas all around the globe who have seen the effects in their young ones firsthand.

Secondly - nearly every single vaccine contains trace amounts of Thimerasol (a mercury derivative which many babies are unable to process in their bodies in any higher levels)... those that say they are "Thimerasol free" had the thimerasol "washed out" during manufacturing - but it still leaves trace amounts.

Vaccinations such as chicken pox and the flu still contain the full amounts of thimerasol.

Here is a link to a Q&A for Measles... http://www.vaccineinfo.com/measles/qandadis.asp
Actually contracting the measles gives a person life-long immunity (which is more than can be said for the vaccination).
Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
Velvetpage
Registered Users

I have to question some of your information here.

The MMR vaccine, and all vaccines with thimerasol, were taken out of the vac roster in Sweeden some years ago (1997, I think.) The rates of autism remained EXACTLY THE SAME as in every other developed nation, regardless of the use of this chemical in vaccinations in those other nations. In Britain, up to 50% of parents in some areas refused the MMR vaccine, and the rates of autism there have also not changed. Meanwhile, cases of preventable illnesses such as mumps rose significantly in areas where there was a scare about the MMR vaccine (a scare which was based on one small, unsubstantiated study, which has since been completely discredited.) This has caused damage mostly to people who were never vaccinated - those who were, pulled through with no complications.

The Mumps vaccine, and several others including the chicken pox vaccine, are not designed to give complete immunity; they're designed to boost immunity. A vaccinated child can still get sick, especially if that child was already fighting another illness such as a cold, but they will get less sick and will get better sooner. It's bad science to claim that getting the disease proves the vaccine didn't work. Also, for every vaccinated kid who does come down with it, there will be several more who won't, thereby protecting more of the population who were not vaccinated. I chose not to take the chance that my elderly relatives would catch something potentially life-threatening from my children, even though getting the illness would not be a big deal for my kids.

I am not convinced that thimersol is a good idea, but I'm absolutely convinced that the diseases being vaccinated against are more of a risk than the thimersol. The reason modern western nations have such an incredibly low infant and child mortality rate can be credited to the massive vaccination programs of the last fifty years. Your unvaccinated children are much, much less likely to come in contact with these diseases than they ever were before - because the rest of us are vaccinating our children. In other words, you're benefitting from our decision to vaccinate.
Velvetpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vaxing or not vaxing really comes down to doing what feels right to you, so we must all respect everyones individual decision.

The books I've read say that all of the diseases that shots are given for were close to extinct or on the wean (mostly because of improved sanitation) before the vaccine brought them back.

IMO, I don't trust statistics because they are easily manipulated, hidden, and changed, (just like all the hidden lawsuits by parents of autistic children). I do have enough friends with autistic children to believe how they had completely normal, healthy babies until they got shots that literally transformed them.

My baby got whooping cough at 6 months from a child who got it right after getting the vaccine. If she had not gotten it from the shot, my ds wouldn't have gotten it either. It was not beneficial for us at all...just 2 sick kids from a shot that would have otherwise been healthy.

I must add that ingredients in vaccines are scary...formeldahide (poison), aborted babies, and other weird animal products.

That's enough for me to know on the matter, but it's interesting to hear the other side!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #18
Velvetpage
Registered Users

1) I can respect your right to make your own decision, while not respecting the decision itself. This is not meant to be a personal attack, and I apologize if it came across that way; however, I believe the opinion you've expressed to be based on faulty information and very, very bad science.

2) Some of the diseases were on the decline already, but most would come back very quickly if the majority of people stopped vaccinating for any reason. Outbreaks of mumps in places where parents have been refusing the MMR vaccine are a case in point. Mass vaccinations for smallpox have made that vaccination unnecessary - the disease has been eradicated. The drive to vaccinate the developing world against polio, to eradicate that, has been going for years but is still many years from completion. Diphtheria is spread through stagnant water, so it could pop up anywhere there are untended ponds and hot weather. I could go on, but the fact is, the reason the diseases are on the decline is that people vaccinate their kids, thereby reducing the number of potential carriers of the disease and reducing the likelihood of an outbreak turning into an epidemic.

3) I know a great deal about autism. I've taught kids with every level of autism, from barely-there to not yet potty trained or talking at age seven. I have a good friend who is a therapist in an intensive behaviour modification program, working with the most developmentally delayed kids you'll ever meet. Basically, there are two times when autism shows up. It is either visible almost from birth, or it appears in kids who were developing normally, sometime between eighteen months and three years. There is no rhyme or reason to who gets it, but unvaccinated kids are as likely to get it as vaccinated ones. It just happens to have its onset at about the same time that many children are getting their most intensive round of vaccinations (especially the MMR) so parents assume a causal relationship. Out of the twenty or so studies I've read on this subject (in peer-reviewed medical journals of the highest standing) only one, very small one showed any kind of causal relationship between vaccines and autism. The rest basically said the relationship doesn't exist - that is, the onset of the disease and the timing of the vaccine are completely coincidental - neither one has any effect on the other. My friend, who has every possible reason for being terrified of autism after four years with these kids, has every intention of vaccinating her children. Part of her degree was in microbiology, including a masters-level review of research papers on the effects of vaccines. She knows what she's talking about.

4) I can't comment on how your child or another one got whooping cough. It's one of the least-studied vaccines, and there have been some legitimate concerns with it; but kids who have had the vaccine are much, much less likely to get it or carry it than kids who have not.

5) Formaldehyde I'll grant you, but aborted babies? I find that very hard to believe. If you mean stem cell research, it's called research because it isn't being used in many treatments yet, and its primary benefits aren't going to be in the vaccine industry in any case - they're working on organ and tissue regeneration, a completely different thing.
Velvetpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's all good, mama! I totally agree that we can all love and respect each other even though we don't agree on issues. Lots of mamas here vax and don't vax, but we're all friends helping each other love our little ones. Thanks for the info!

Here's the link about the aborted fetal tissue: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/conce.../humancell.htm

I don't know what's true and what's not, I just follow my heart and instincts and leave the rest to God!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #20
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Basically, there are two times when autism shows up. It is either visible almost from birth, or it appears in kids who were developing normally, sometime between eighteen months and three years. There is no rhyme or reason to who gets it, but unvaccinated kids are as likely to get it as vaccinated ones. It just happens to have its onset at about the same time that many children are getting their most intensive round of vaccinations (especially the MMR) so parents assume a causal relationship. Out of the twenty or so studies I've read on this subject (in peer-reviewed medical journals of the highest standing) only one, very small one showed any kind of causal relationship between vaccines and autism. The rest basically said the relationship doesn't exist - that is, the onset of the disease and the timing of the vaccine are completely coincidental - neither one has any effect on the other.
There is certainly a connection between the amount of mercury left in vaccinations (even those that are supposedly "thimerasol free") and children found with toxic levels in their systems. There is certainly a connection between mercury/heavy metal poisoning and children who show symptoms on the Autistic spectrum.

one example: www.camsvoice.com