Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Re: pain free labour?

I've had two completely natural labours and deliveries; one went very smoothly and while it hurt, it wasn't unmanageable and I never felt out of control. With my second, though, I had some serious anxiety issues and I experienced the pain much more intensely. Interestingly enough, when the issues were discussed and resolved towards the end of the labour, the pain decreased DRAMATICALLY.

I think it's key to realize that IT WILL HURT, but that the pain of childbirth is different from say the pain of breaking a leg. Labour serves a purpose, and each contraction serves a purpose; you always get a break between them to recover and prepare for the next. And there is an end in sight.

I seriously recommend getting the book "The Completely Guide to Pregnancy And Childbirth" by Sheila Kitzinger; her chapers on labour and pain management are EXCELLENT; it's one of the few books I've read that helps describe what the pain feels like in terms you can understand and prepare for. Lots of great techniques for coping with it, too.

HTH!
Bethany

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
CrunchyPeach
Registered Users

nak

I've had two relatively painless births using Hypnobirthing. I'm not sure why the PP seemed to insinuate that it's un-Christian. Anyway, if you have any questions about Hypnobirthing you can PM me.
CrunchyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to start a debate or anything, I certainly know nothing about hypnosis or hypnobirthing but was told by a pastor of mine a really long time ago that a Christian shouldn't get involved with those types of things. Here is the link I found:

http://www.gotquestions.org/hypnosis-Christian.html

That being said I prayed through my contraction....and it still hurt a lot even. I had been a doula 4 years and through hundreds of hours of births with people but for some reason was completely stupid to what I should be doing. I'm totally prepping my hubby with what to tell me to do this time...or maybe I'll get my own doula. BTW it only hurt a lot really when they started the pitocin. This time unless baby is in distress there is no way they could pay me to take it!

Blessings,
Deidre
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejahd
Not to start a debate or anything, I certainly know nothing about hypnosis or hypnobirthing but was told by a pastor of mine a really long time ago that a Christian shouldn't get involved with those types of things. Here is the link I found:

http://www.gotquestions.org/hypnosis-Christian.html

That being said I prayed through my contraction....and it still hurt a lot even. I had been a doula 4 years and through hundreds of hours of births with people but for some reason was completely stupid to what I should be doing. I'm totally prepping my hubby with what to tell me to do this time...or maybe I'll get my own doula. BTW it only hurt a lot really when they started the pitocin. This time unless baby is in distress there is no way they could pay me to take it!

Blessings,
Deidre
Hmmm...I also don't want to start a debate and I *AM* a Christian, but I also always try to research things and make my own decisions based on my own beliefs rather than judging based on what *anyone* else tells me. I looked at that link and will look at it a little more but I don't totally buy everything in there. According to that site yoga is a sin? Also, that link is referring to allowing yourself to be hypnotized by someone else...my understanding is that hypnobirthing involves self-hypnosis. I never looked into hypnobirthing that much until today because I didn't believe it was necessary, but looking at it now, I think it is very much in line with my beliefs. Check out http://topics-az.parenthood.com/articles.html?article_id=3936. According to that article, the theory behind hypnobirthing is that childbirth is a perfectly natural event and our attitudes, fears, and anxiety are a big part of what complicates things. Nothing un-Christian about that, right? That's exactly what I have always believed without ever knowing about "hypnobirthing". So the people who "teach" hypnobirthing actually teach women to trust their bodies and relax and work with their bodies instead of being afraid and fighting the process. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe there's more to it than what I see right now but I think the name may cause some misunderstandings. Many years ago when I was in the Navy, I learned some self-hypnosis techniques to help with intense migraines. It wasn't that different from any other deep relaxation techniques I've learned over the years. And while I didn't consciously self-hypnotize during labor, I'm sure I called on those relaxation techniques just like I called on every other experience I've had in my life to help me. I guess I'm saying don't automatically rule it out because of the name or what someone else thought years ago...maybe it is worth another look.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i went into my first labor with full intentions of having NO "drugs" for pain. i ended up having iv drugs first and then when they broke my water (between that and the pitocin) the pain was far too much. i was yelling for the epidural, while they were placing it i kept telling my mom i had to poop. my nurse didn't check my progress before they put it in. turns out i had gone from 6 to 10 in about 10 mins. so it was worthless. also they placed it wrong. it was a horrible experience.
with my second i went in with even more umpf to not have "drugs" and i didn't. IMO it helps knowing from previous experiences what to expect. i had to have pitocin with my second as well though, i had been in preterm labor and on medications to prevent contractions so there really was no other option here. however i had a wonderful nurse that would turn the drip down when teh contractions would get to be too much. they don't have to have the stuff cranked for it to do it's job. so that's my advice, tell them (don't ask them TELL them) that whereas you understand you are being induced you would appreciate it if they didn't try to make you an in and out labor, this is not fast food and if it is you would like to have it your way! make a birthing plan and include in it that you would like a slow drip, also request your water to not be broken until you are at 8 or 9 b/c that mixed w/pitocin is a EXZTREMELY painful combination and is only necessary at the end. my dr was very kind w/the second and broke my water at 9.5. i still had pain and discomfort but not bad at all until after the water was broke and then i only had a half centimeter to go and then pushing agaist that felt sooooo good! so ther's my two cents! slow pitocin drip and water broke at the END! write it down and demand this is what is to happen unless they have a very good reason it has to happen other ways, there is no reason a woman has to have a quick painful labor just b/c they want to crank up your pitocin, if it's even necessary in the first place!
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i just wanted to second the above poster - that having your water break def. makes your labor MUCH MUCH harder. the water kinda acts as a cushion. mine broke a bit during an internal & then they broke it the rest of the way at 9ish for me. and bam it went from 6 to 60 as it were.

the other good thing about not letting them break your water (unless necessary of course) is that it doesn't start that hospital 24 hour clock ticking.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My birthing experience was drug-free, and it wasn't very painful at all, although I wouldn't call it pain-free. Here's what helped me:
1.valarian tea helped me sleep through 3 days of contractions. (Valarian is the natural herb that valium imitates, and it definately helps you sleep through pain and laugh about it, too.)
2.Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, this book reminded me that relaxation is the key to releasing pain.
3.Laboring in a tub of hot water was the greatest pain killer ever! It was like being weightless, and made labor so easy!
Good luck for you with whatever you choose!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I understand, induction makes for very painful contractions. You may want to concider natural inducers (bding, pumping, what else mamas?)

I had a very painless birth (many people don't believe me when I say this). I believe it was due to taking Bradley classes, laboring in the water, my water not breaking or being broken until minutes before he was born & my attitude about birth & "finally" having my first long-a-waited baby!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote