Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:
Re: labour?

My water breaks so it is hard to miss....

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

it sounds to me like early labor, or not. for me with my first (i went into preterm at 25 weeks, then bedrest for 11 more then i had him, anyhow...) it just felt like menstrual cramping. later on in labor it was regular crampy contractions. with my second (again preterm, but at 31 weeks) i had menstrual like cramping again, with lower back pain. went into the hospital b/c i just knew (even though the dr on call, which was not my reg, said i probably just had the flu!) i was in labor. the hooked me up to all the monitors and had me drinking tons of fluids and said i couldn't possibly be in labor b/c i wasn't in any "real" pain and there weren't contractions showing up on the monitors AT ALL. anyhow like 3 hours later the nurse FINALLY checked me and i was at 6 w/the bag bulging. needless to say i spent the next 3 days on mag sulfate and then the remainder of the preg in the hospital. (i had him at 36.5 weeks) they just KNEW that w/the bag bulging my water would break on its own, well it didn't they had to break it at 9.5 centimeters! i should've made a bet w/all the nurses and my dr (i told them they'd have to break it!). so anyhow, based off my own experience just b/c it doesn't feel like the contractions you remember or are described does not by any means mean you are not in labor. the dr i have this go round told me that labor and contractions are separate....contractions HELP you dialate but you CAN be in labor w/o them. if you think you're in labor than most likely you are.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me, I had really bad BH contractions most of the pregnancy. Then there was this really peaceful night where I felt great and actually rested. Next morning, I was getting ready for work and had used the restroom. Well, when I stood up, I got this gush of fluid. I remember thinking "that's odd...I thought I was done peeing!" I was only 34.5 weeks and we were supposed to be moving into a new house that weekend so I had this fleeting thought "wouldn't it be funny if that was my water breaking...nah...couldn't be" and I went on getting ready for work. Then I looked around at my apartment and how much I had left to pack for the move and decided (for the first time the whole pregnancy!) to take advantage and use the pregnancy as an excuse to get out of work. I e-mailed my boss and told her that I something wierd had happened and I thought I needed to rest until time for my doctor's appointment that afternoon so I wouldn't be in. Well, what I didn't consider was that my boss was best friends with my OB and she freaked out at the thought of "losing me" that early so she called my doc. Doc called me and asked what was going on and I told her that there was no way I was in labor because I felt great and actually last night was the best night I've had in several months. She told me since the hospital was only 2 miles away, I should go on in and get checked anyway. Honestly, the only thing I remember feeling was butterflies in my stomach. When I got to the hospital, they checked me and told me that my water had broken and I was 3 cm dilated but I just kept telling them that I couldn't be in labor because I felt fine. Eventually, I started having what felt like mild menstrual cramps, but I never had contractions that I could time like you're supposed to. The fetal monitors showed that the contractions were 2 min apart and lasting 90 seconds but I was talking and laughing and feeling great. Even an hour before he was born, I was trying to convince my husband to go on back to work because nothing was going to happen. About 45 minutes before he was born, they started me on Pitocin against my will and things went downhill from there, but up till the Pit, I felt great. From the time my water broke till I was holding my baby was less than 5 hours. I'm convinced that if my water hadn't broken just the way it did, my son would have been born in a toilet at work because I just thought I was constipated!!

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad your son wasn't born in a toilet!

I definately knew when I was in labor. It started with a lower abdominal cramping that made me stop whatever I was doing. I thought that the beginning was much closer to the end than it really was...I had contractions for 3 days! I drank valarian tea to sleep between contractions.

It was a nice long walk that brought me from early labor to active labor.

Good luck and best wishes, mama!

Last edited by MamaLove; 05-04-2006 at 03:07 PM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLove
I'm glad your son wasn't born in a toilet!
You know, it's funny the things you remember. When I felt the need to push, they had internal monitors on me and were not allowing me out of the bed (I was TICKED!!) Anyway, I told the nurse I needed to go to the restroom. She brought me a bedpan. I remember calling her over and whispering in ear "I can't go in a bedpan, I need to POOP!" She told me that was the baby and I got really mad. I remember just totally blowing up and telling her that I'm 29 years old and I think I know when I need to poop and if she didn't unhook me so I could go to the bathroom I was going to make a point of pooping on her! Even when my OB was "down there" and placed my hand on the baby's head, I was begging them to let me go to the bathroom first. Every time I get slightly constipated this time, I freak out wondering what if I'm really in labor and don't know it!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

i remember that with my first one. it was actually when they were putting my epidural in (which i would NEVER do again and probably wouldn't have needed to ask for in the first place had they not had me on pitocin!) anyhow i kept telling my mom "i have to poop" and she would ask are you sure it's not the baby and i would reply "no, it's NOT the baby i have to POOP!". then they did let me go (i think, that epidural really screwed w/me) and i didn't have to poop and anyhow the whole time i was pushing him out i kept crying and asking them if i was pooping. they would tell me no and i would say "are you sure? are you just saying i'm not? b/c it really really feels like i'm pooping!!"
Old 05-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #17
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

ok ladies - I actually had our last one standing up over the toilet! I caught him until his shoulders were out and then my hubby held him until he was the rest of the way out and handed to me as soon as I sat down on the toilet!

We were at a birth center and I had tried the chair and the tub but was not comfortable at all - finally I said I have to pee so I did and then I had another contraction and said - this is it guys - my husband was in front of me so the midwife asked me to stand up so I did and I caught him until his little arms were coming out and then hubby caught rest of the way and handed him to me! Midwife was right there too - I guess to make sure hubby didn't drop him so she kept one hand in there also!

just figured I'd share that after one of you mentioned the toilet!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 AM   #18
MSweeten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you! I'm in the same boat. the 9th month HAS got to be the longest! It's annoying having all these symptoms, and still not knowing when.... my ob says once it starts I'll wonder why I wanted it to. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up in the night, thinking this is it, only to wake up several hours later and feel almost normal again.
MSweeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #19
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSweeten
I feel for you! I'm in the same boat. the 9th month HAS got to be the longest! It's annoying having all these symptoms, and still not knowing when.... my ob says once it starts I'll wonder why I wanted it to. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up in the night, thinking this is it, only to wake up several hours later and feel almost normal again.
The one I loved hearing was "when you're in labor, you won't have to ask...you'll KNOW." Well, 45 minutes before my son was born, I was trying to convince my husband to go back to work because nothing was going to happen...and that was after my water had broken! Like I said before, even while I was pushing (two pushes and that was it!) I didn't believe I was delivering the baby, I thought I was just pooping. Now this time, my MW teases me when I freak out about every little thing (you know, like contractions 6 minutes apart at 23 weeks, fluid leaking at 28 weeks, little things!) and I keep trying to make myself relax and believe that if it's really serious, we'll know in a couple of hours but I just can't help wondering....
Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #20
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

after having preterm labor twice now (and ending up in the hospital for more than the last month of my second pregnancy, which there were no contractions, but i did just KNOW i was in labor and had to argue with the nurse for more than an hour or two before she checked me and realized i was at 6) anyhow, i freak out when i do have contractions now. even when it's only 2 in one hour. lol. but i'm sure it will be fine. as long as i can make it to at least 36 weeks and be able to just STAY in labor and have my baby i'll be fine! every week now i tell myself okay i only need to make X more weeks w/o preterm and everything will be fine! hopefully mind over matter will work with this!