Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation HELP! My newborn has me stressed and stumped!

I'm just about ready to throw up my hands. My baby has me totally stumped, and pretty exhausted too. I wonder if you other moms might be able to shed some light on things for me.

For the past few days, Emma's routines and patterns have totally changed. One of the newest developments is that she refuses to be horizontal. She screams and cries laying down or even cradled in the arms. She only lays on the boppy to nurse, but if I dont hold her up right afterwards she throws a tantrum. She also doesnt want to be at an angle. For instance if Im holding her against me (with her head on my shoulder) and I sit down, she will start crying. She isnt content unless you stand up with her and walk around. Its just distressing.

Secondly, she doesnt sleep soundly at all anymore. Once she IS asleep, she is constantly wriggling and grunting and wakes up after only a few minutes, then refuses to go back to sleep for long periods of time. She went from sleeping probably 20 hours a day to more like 10 now...if that. Last night she was awake ALL night long, and didnt stay asleep for more than 10 minutes at a time. Then would wake up and be super fussy.

She has been farting a lot, so I guess it could be collic? Although no gas drops have helped at all. She still cant seem to relax or sleep. And the whole "Im not happy unless you are walking with me" is really burning me out. My poor arm is about to fall off from holding her.

Any ideas as to what could have caused her entire routine and personality to change seemingly overnight? Suggestions of what I could do?

Tried the swing, the bouncer, the stroller....she isn't having any of it!

My mom said to just let her cry, but this seems very cruel to me. When she cries, she really cries. She almost turns purple! I am just tired, confused and feeling really insecure. I hope someone can help me understand what's going on with my baby!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! My newborn has me stressed and stumped!

sounds like a tummyache to me. what are you eating these days?

to solve the problem in the meantime, you might try putting her to sleep in her boppy. it saved my bacon when my Becca was having reflux problems.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Awe poor Emma and poor Mommy! It does sound like colic, or gas (which colic is bad gas). When nursing I could not eat spicy foods, broccoli, anything that makes me gassy. After about 6 mos I started adding Mexican foods and pizza back into my diet, then my babies could seem to handle them. I will pray for you and her!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My diet from the time she was born has been unchanged, so I don't understand why something Im eating would upset her now and not from the start?
I don't eat anything unusual. Fruits, veggies, chicken, some dairy, grains...nothing out of the ordinary.
I might try laying Emma in the boppy. I doubt she will go for it, but it's worth a shot!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
suziraye
Registered Users
seller

sounds alot like reflux to me. i had a AWFUL time with my baby. she cried for almost 6 weeks straight till I got it figured out. I hold her up for about 30 minutes after she eats. she is also on medicine and that makes a huge difference. i would check out the symtoms of reflux.
hope it gets better soon!!!
susan
suziraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
My diet from the time she was born has been unchanged, so I don't understand why something Im eating would upset her now and not from the start?
I don't eat anything unusual. Fruits, veggies, chicken, some dairy, grains...nothing out of the ordinary.
I might try laying Emma in the boppy. I doubt she will go for it, but it's worth a shot!

I couldnt eat or drink any dairy right in the beginning with both of my kids.
They were just like what you are going through
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I have had friends let there baby sleep in the carseat. Just put the carseat in the crib and put them in. In fact one friend had twins and the dr told he to do this to help w/ reflux and some other issues the boys had. I don't know if she would tolerate this or not but worth a shot. At not even 4 wks I don't agree w/ the cry it out thing either, maybe at 6-8 mo but not 1 mo.

Definately sounds like something is making her very uncomfortable. Didn't you post that about possible colic over the weekend, or maybe it was someone else. Anyway, here is one more suggestion I have. Give the baby about 2 oz of warm water, afterwards turn her on her belly across your arm w/ your hand kind of on her belly and pat her back, or if you have a rocking chair/glider sit in the chair put a pillow on your lap and lay her on the pillow w/ her head at your knees belly down and pat her back. We have done this w/ both my girls and it helps relieve gas. If she has gas she will be farting up a storm in no time. I hope this helps. Both my girls loved to sit in the glider this way all the time.

I know how hard newborns can be, w/ my first I would call my DH at work crying because I didn't know what else to do for her. He would come home and could get her to settle right down. She feels your stress to so drink a cup of tea or something to calm your nerves, (heck have a half a glass of wine, but no more since you are nursing). Try your best to relax, even if it means you do have to lay her in a safe place and walk away for a couple of minutes to gather yourself.

Good luck mamma.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

First of all, your mom is totally off, IMO! You would never let a 3 week old CIO! That's crazy to me, a baby that young is crying because it needs something, they need constant attention and they only communicate by crying at that point.
She's too young to be spoiled so you just do whatever you need to do to make her content and get yourself some rest, ok? Don't feel guilty about that, just do what you have to to make her happy to make you happy!
It sounds to me like she's got a tummy ache. I don't think you're eating something bad, maybe just not burping enough?
About 1/2 way through the feedings, are you stopping to burp her really well? Make sure you do that and then put her on your knees and bounce her a little while rubbing her back counter clock-wise. That always helped my son. Oh, also, hooking a finger under each armpit and kind of holding him under his chin across the top of his chest while he was sitting up and burping him helped him too.
I hope you find something to help you, I remember well those tired frustrated times. Maybe you could have your DH or MIL come over to watch the baby for a short while so you can get a shower and a short nap? That would do wonders for your mood. Mama, we've all been there!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
GracieGooseSC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like tummy troubles! This too shall pass. In the meantime....well I've never had an experience with a 24 hour fussy baby, but my mom and aunt have and one thing they both said they wish they would have done was let the baby cry to get some rest. She is going to cry no matter what you do, so why not sleep or take a break for a little while? Also, have you tried car rides? What kind of swing do you have? My daughter was really fussy the second month of life at night time, and there wasn't much we could do. I do know though that we had a swing that just went forward and backward, which she did not like so I bought the Aquarium Swing that has the side to side and that did the trick, at least some of the time! You may want to give it a try! And remember, it's not your fault, she is just adjusting to life outside her cozy womb...that's tough for a baby!
Mamato Halee (9) Chloe (7) Dalilah (4) Jack Greyson (2) and Baby#5 due in Oct!
GracieGooseSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Celticcloths
Banned

It sounds a lot like reflux to me too. The fact that she can't be laid down is really key, when she's laid down the acid from her stomach could be backing up into her asophogus (sp) and burning. Look up reflux and see if there are any tips to help you. Letting her cry it out isn't going to stop it, she'll just keep crying and whatever is bothering her isn't going to go away if she just cries by herself. But if you need a break definately put her down for a few minutes and get out of the room until you can handle it again. I feel for you momma, DS was extremely colicky and it was a very trying time for us.
Celticcloths is offline   Reply With Quote