Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Is this normal? No letdown?

I used to have a major letdown and then I'd hear my son gulping all the time when he ate. Lately if it's not a long time between feedings, it seems like I have no letdown and I can barely tell if he's swallowing a lot. He's almost a year old. Is this normal for this stage of breastfeeding or do you think I have supply issues?

I was weaning my daughters by this point so I'm unsure. I want to keep nursing him for a while so I want to make sure I have a decent supply still. What do you think?

Advertisement

momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this normal? No letdown?

I am no expert, but I think it is normal that your supply is a less, now that he is eating and drinking other things. If he gets sick and starts nursing all the time your supply will shoot right up again. I wouldn't worry about drying up if he is still nursing often. If you are nursing on demand, your body will keep on producing until he doesn't nurse anymore. That said, if you are stressed or taking too much caffine, you could be producing less than he wants.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

You know now that you mention it I never had the let down feeling but I could hear Noah gulping and I still do ( he is 13 months old )

but I also never leaked but at the very first few days home when I was sleeping.

I will be watching this thread.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina
I am no expert, but I think it is normal that your supply is a less, now that he is eating and drinking other things. If he gets sick and starts nursing all the time your supply will shoot right up again. I wouldn't worry about drying up if he is still nursing often. If you are nursing on demand, your body will keep on producing until he doesn't nurse anymore. That said, if you are stressed or taking too much caffine, you could be producing less than he wants.
Caffeine lessens your supply? Thanks for that info, I'll be watching that from now on! I noticed tonight when he was nursing, he kept pulling off and getting irritated. I wasn't sure if he was tired and cranky or not getting the milk he wanted.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't know that about caffine, either. I didn't drink ANY for like, 2 years, and suddenly craved it when I was pg. So I've gotten back into the bad habit of drinking it lately. Although I did buy decaf tea the other day and have been drinking a lot of that. But I'll definitely watch that from now on. My supply is low enough as it is! I don't need to add to it. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
cameransmommy
Registered Users

I just wanted to add that when DD was small, i used to have really painful letdown, like it would take my breath away it hurt so bad. As she got older, the feeling of letdown became less and less and now, i don't feel it at all. I know she is getting milk because i hear her swallowing and she tells me when it is "all done" in each breast. So maybe you are just feeling it less now?

HTH
cameransmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameransmommy
I just wanted to add that when DD was small, i used to have really painful letdown, like it would take my breath away it hurt so bad. As she got older, the feeling of letdown became less and less and now, i don't feel it at all. I know she is getting milk because i hear her swallowing and she tells me when it is "all done" in each breast. So maybe you are just feeling it less now?

HTH
Maybe that is what is going on. It seems like he doesn't nurse very long before he pulls off like it's empty. I've been wondering if it was empty or if he wasn't getting any to begin with

Good to know not everyone feels a letdown! I had the same when he was younger, it really does take your breath away for a few seconds!
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, this is an interesting thread. At least you have letdown WHILE you nurse. As for me, I get letdown when Im doing chores, going shopping, taking a shower...but when I nurse? Nope. Weird right?

I have low supply too, and I didnt realize caffeine could decrease it even more. Good to know! I do take Fenugreek though, to try and boost milk production. Some days it seems to work, others it doesnt.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree
Maybe that is what is going on. It seems like he doesn't nurse very long before he pulls off like it's empty. I've been wondering if it was empty or if he wasn't getting any to begin with

Good to know not everyone feels a letdown! I had the same when he was younger, it really does take your breath away for a few seconds!
Thanks!
I just barely feel let down in the opposit breast. DD doesn't talk yet(11 months on the 26th) and just latches off when she is done or at this age finds something more interesting. She gulps when she is getting milk. Let down used to hurt.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
skayers01
Registered Users

I get a really strong letdown feeling too. Not just when he's nursing either! I drink coffee everyday and have a huge milk supply. I think it depends on how much you drink. Tea is also suppose to decsease your supply too. They are diaretics (or however you spell that!)