Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Dawn Marie
Registered Users

Re: Is this normal? No letdown?

a sign hes getting enough is how many wet diapers he has also he may have become a quick eater so not to miss anything that his siblings are doing. My first son took about 45 minutes to eat my second son took about 20 minutes to eat and my third son only took 5 minutes and he was good to go. If it is a supply issue make sure you get enough water during the day expecially in the hot weather. Just my 2 cents hope it helps :0)
Dawn Marie

Advertisement

Last edited by Dawn Marie; 08-20-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Dawn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie
a sign hes getting enough is how many wet diapers he has also he may have become a quick eater so not to miss anything that his siblings are doing. My first son took about 45 minutes to eat my second son took about 20 minutes to eat and my third son only took 5 minutes and he was good to go. If it is a supply issue make sure you get enough water during the day expecially in the hot weather. Just my 2 cents hope it helps :0)
Dawn Marie
He definitely wets enough. I also give him sippy cups with water throughout the day, maybe I should cut back on that amount.

You're right about the amount of time it takes them to eat. My older daughter was a fast eater and so is my son. My younger daughter too FOREVER to eat. I felt like she was on the boob all day. Thanks!
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
halyled
Registered Users
seller

It's definitely normal for the stinging sensation of letdown to subside. At 6 months, I only feel it noticeably if it's been longer than usual since we nursed. And he doesn't gulp like he used to--I had overactive letdown, it sounds like you may have, too. If you can at least tell a difference in his sucking pattern...at first he's sucking rapidly, then he starts the suck-suck-pause thing, then you're still having letdowns.

However, the water is likely replacing your milk in his liquids intake. At 1 year, that's not necessarily a bad thing because I think even with extended nursing it is recommended that breastmilk no longer be the primary source of nutrition at that age. How much water do you give him? If it's more than a cup or two, and you're worried about your supply, then you may want to cut back. Breastmilk has plenty of water in it. I know that babies younger than 1 year do not need any additional water for hydration if they are nursing. Don't know about babies/children over 1 year.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by halyled
It's definitely normal for the stinging sensation of letdown to subside. At 6 months, I only feel it noticeably if it's been longer than usual since we nursed. And he doesn't gulp like he used to--I had overactive letdown, it sounds like you may have, too. If you can at least tell a difference in his sucking pattern...at first he's sucking rapidly, then he starts the suck-suck-pause thing, then you're still having letdowns.

However, the water is likely replacing your milk in his liquids intake. At 1 year, that's not necessarily a bad thing because I think even with extended nursing it is recommended that breastmilk no longer be the primary source of nutrition at that age. How much water do you give him? If it's more than a cup or two, and you're worried about your supply, then you may want to cut back. Breastmilk has plenty of water in it. I know that babies younger than 1 year do not need any additional water for hydration if they are nursing. Don't know about babies/children over 1 year.
Thank you, that's helpful! I've never heard of overactive letdown before. I used to just cringe and dread it coming because it felt terrible. We went from one extreme to the other. LOL

Good question about the water intake after 1 year. I wonder if LaLeche has that info. I'll have to check. I give him about 8-10 ounces of water a day in addition to the breastmilk.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote