Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Family planning- child spacing

I just had my first baby this May and I'm 31. DH (32) and I would like to have at least one more biological child and are thinking we'd like to have a total of 3-4 children- probably 1 adopted.

I don't want to be pass 36 yrs old when having a biological child so I'm starting to think about when we should plan to try for our next child...I know it seems WAY to soon to think about it after just having a baby, but I do need to plan it out due to my age and medication I'm taking.

What's the min amount of time a woman should wait before conceiving her next child? I'm wondering about age spacing for children/siblings- what ages are good?

Yeah, I know the good Lord is the author of life and ultimately has control of all of it, but I also want to be responsible because of my medication.

Thoughts? Your experiences?

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: Family planning- child spacing

I would have liked mine closer together than they are. My youngest will be almost 3 when the new baby gets here. Some have almost 3 years between some almost 4. One is 2 . 2yrs between is good....but I would like them closer too. Do what you want to do and what you think or feel, with talking to hubby about it of course.

Good luck mama!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My ideal was to have them two years apart. Because of losses, they are four. My dd#2 was born at 38. My losses had nothing to do with age, especially the biggest loss (2 years ago today).

My ideal was two years because I have a sister two years younger and we have always been best friends. Now I am closest to the sister who is 4 years younger.

I would say do what your body feels is best. Some women can handle back to back pregnancies no problem. Others, well, not so much.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

my kids are 16 months apart. If we happen to have a 3rd I think I'd like Maddy (youngest dd) to be no more than 3 years old.

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My spacing is way too far apart but that is mainly due to feritility issues (#1 and #2 are 7 1/2 years apart, #2 and #3 are 4 years apart). My younger brothers are 15 mos apart and they are very close and my mom said she loved having them that close. All depending on the person I would say 2 years would be a good average for spacing. Personally (mentally not physically) I like a little larger gap and feel 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 years would've been a good amount.

BTW I am 28 years old and want one more.

Last edited by GrowingUpMad; 08-21-2006 at 09:30 AM.
GrowingUpMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

i like closer spacing. mine also are 16 months apart. we plan to have another one... probably just under 2 years apart would be ideal
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I have 4 kids ages 6 and under.
Between 1 and 2 there is 2 1/2 yrs.
Between 2-3 there is 18 months.
Between 3-4 there is 2 years.
In my person experience I would like mine to be at least 2 yrs between. With my 2 that are 18 months apart there is huge jealousy issues when ds#2 was born and they fight all the time! Now part of the fighting could be because they are different sexes.
I have had no problems with jealousy with ds#2 and ds#3. Dd#1 still is jealous though since the new baby arrived and has acted out so it may just be her!

Good luck and Congrats on your baby. My ds#3 was born is May also!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote