Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
svm8
Registered Users

Re: BF in public. How do I deal?

The problem is not with you not being discreet enough, the problem is the receptionist!! to expect someone to nurse in a room with no chair!!! is ridiculous. I would complain to the doctor and let him know that you were treated unprofessionally and if he is as unsupportive of bf as his office staff I would find another dr. Bf is so important to your babies health--as healthcare providers they should be applauding you and supporting you, not making you feel like dirt.

Advertisement

svm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would LOVE to find a different Pediatrician, but our insurance only gives us 3 Pedis to choose from, and none of them are very good. Plus, we are about a 50 minute drive from anyone even REMOTELY alternative.
Id looked up Naturopaths, but they arnt allowed to practice in this state (go figure).
My husband just got a new job, and his insurance kicks in immediately. I will hopefully be able to find someone new in our network that I like better.

And I was TOTALLY unaware that breastfeeding in puplic was illegal in Tennessee. HOLY COW. That makes that Nurses behavior make more sense (not that it excuses her rudeness).

The more I learn about this state, the more I'm anxious to go someplace else.

I will have to try giving people a smile from now on when they look at me. It erks me to NO end. I even had one lady in the mall tell me that I NEED to be giving Emma formula because breastmilk isnt enough (amount wise) to feed a baby on. I set her straight, and would have probably said more had my husband not convinced me to come with him into a store instead.

SHEESH!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
jkelstaten
Registered Users

There is no reason they should have done that to you!! I would definitely discuss it with the ped. The very least they could have done was give you a chair. I'm so glad I was in a state where you could breastfeed wherever you needed to. I did always use a blanket in public, but I usually used a thin baby afghan with lots of little holes (enough that you couldn't see in, but the baby could see out if she wanted to)

One of my friends got a apron looking thing that snapped around her neck so the baby couldn't pull it off.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
aklausmeier
Registered Users

It seems TN does not have any laws to protect your rights bf in public but they don't have laws that make it illegal either.

I would have like to say something to that nurse but I'm not sure if I would of had the guts. I would be searching for a new ped though. I wouldn't want to continue going to a Ped. that doesn't allow/promote/support breastfeeding. Call your ped., let them know they upset you, & then ask for a referral to a ped. that is supportive of breastfeeding/natural parenting.

I live in CO now but some of my family members still make comments(they live in southern IL). I'm bf my second now. They should get over it. But, I really think it is the area. I've come to the point now that when I do go back home to visit I make a point to nurse in public as much as I can. I no longer hide in the bathrooms, in the car, or run home just so I can nurse. I don't plan my outings around nursing schedules anymore either. I used to do all of this whether I was in CO or IL with my first child.

As to how to deal with the looks...I just got used to it. The more people see mothers breastfeeding in public the more it will eventually become acceptable in ALL areas of the country.

All animals nurse their little ones, why is it unnatural for a human to do what God intended?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
skayers01
Registered Users

That really ticks me off! Another mama had a similar problem and made a complaint. You should DEFINANTLY do the same. There are certain places that, IMO, should welcome bf mamas, and the peds office is one of them! And next time, tell her that's you're comfortable where you are! Give me the number.... I'll take care of it for you.. hehehehe
Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
skayers01
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne
It looks like you are in one of the few states that doesn't allow nursing in public
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/summary.html#TN

YOu should discuss what happened in the office with your babies pediatrician. Find out if that is their policy for the waiting room. If they put you in a room without a chair to nurse you really should think about finding a ped. in your area that a)promotes breastfeeding b)allows nursing in the waiting room/and or has a nursing room(not a bathroom) with a chair. What they did to you makes it sound like they are trying to get rid of their customers.
I don't have a ring sling/baby carrier so I am unable to nurse standing up.
The rest of the world has been taught that using formula is the norm. I don't understand why.
I read that as of 2006, it's legal to nurse in public in all states.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I hate that you were made to feel that way!! I'd be fuming! I might even switch pediatricians over that!
I use a receiving blanket to cover up, if I have to. Otherwise, I don't because DS covers me up as it is and I don't have a lot of boob hanging out. I usually unsnap the bra, get baby ready, and then do the lift the shirt/latch on move in one swoop.
The cover-up just gets in the way and DS has a great time flaping that around making a big scene with the crazy blanket trick. Its more descrete to just not use one for us.
But man oh man, would I be PO'd at the Dr's office for them moving me into another room without a chair. That sucks!
Oh and ITA with everything that rpg_mommy said. Ditto that sister!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #18
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
And I was TOTALLY unaware that breastfeeding in puplic was illegal in Tennessee. HOLY COW. That makes that Nurses behavior make more sense (not that it excuses her rudeness).

The more I learn about this state, the more I'm anxious to go someplace else.

SHEESH!
It is NOT illegal to breastfeed in Tennessee in public. They just don't seem to have legislation that protects your right to breastfeed in public, like many other states do. I would definitely talk to your doctor about how poorly you were treated by the nurse, especially that you weren't given a chair to sit on (as well as the fact that you were asked to move in the first place which is a huge hassle and just unnecessary). I could go on, but others have said the same stuff I would say. This is the second post I've seen about a doctor's office giving someone a hard time about nursing in the waiting room, and I'm flabbergasted.

I've found that what works for me is just wearing really loose t-shirts. I for one don't want to wear a blanket while nursing, and neither does DS. to you for having to put up with such nonsense.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
Man, I'm a REALLY nonconfrontational person, but THIS is the topic that I'd speak up on!!!

Move you back to a room? "No thanks, she's eating now and I don't want to interupt her by moving."

Didn't realize you weren't giving her formula? "Why on earth would I give my baby formula?"

If a nurse at my ped's office tried to make me feel bad for NIP there, I would have no problem reminding them that breastmilk is the superior food for babies and that if their office is not supportive of breastfeeding then I can easily find another doctor for my child who IS. Besides, when they spirit people off to a backroom to nurse, it just reinforces to everyone in the waiting room that breastfeeding is shameful. What if there was another new mom out there who was having trouble breastfeeding and was wondering whether to quit or not, and she sees the NURSE make a bf'ing mom leave the room? What kind of example does that set? Pooh on that nurse!

Bleh!

My son hates to have anything over his head while he's nursing too. And you know what? If people ever stared at me disapprovingly while I nursed, I'd just grin at them and say "Oh I know! It's the greatest thing, isn't it? Being able to comfort my baby anywhere and not having to worry about a bottle? Just like God intended!"

to you mama for nursing your baby! And poo on the naysayers!

And sorry for the rant.

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
Natrat80
Registered Users
seller

Ugh, how frustrating. I'd definitely complain to the ped's office. I'm sorry that you don't have lots of choices where you live! My brother, SIL, and their son live in Norris (NW of Knoxville). If you are anywhere near there I can find out who they take their DS to. I know they use a Family Practice Dr. because there isn't a good ped. near to them either!

And even though there isn't legislation to protect your right to bf, you shouldn't be treated as though you are committing a crime by bf'ing in public! Man, people are ignorant!
Natrat80 is offline   Reply With Quote