Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
tropicalmom2b
Registered Users
seller

Baby Sign Language question?

I want to start signing with dd (non hearing impaired) as everything I've read about it makes sense and would love to be able to communicate with her as early as possible. Think I really need a DVD to be able to see how the signs are done. (Not sure I would be able to figure it out with a book..) Anyway, the videos I've heard mentioned like Signing Times and Babysigns are geared toward the infant but I don't want her exposed to screen media before age 2 (as recommended by AAP). Has anyone used a DVD to learn the signs themselves and then teach dc? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Advertisement

tropicalmom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Baby Sign Language question?

I highly recommend Baby signing times
i understand about you not wanting her exposed to tv before 2 but imo, visual is great and the BST have lots of music and my kids LOVE it. my son learned all the signs fast, he's 3 but my baby is 18 months now and hasnt had these very long and LOVES to watch them and immitate, she knows 3 signs already
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

If you don't want DC exposed to video, you can just teach the signs yourself. I'd go to the library & get videos for YOU to learn. This is how I did it when I had to learn signs for my DS (he was hearing impaired). It was free & easier for me to see what was going on in the video.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
erthangel
Registered Users
seller

I HIGHLY recommend Signing Time.. I understand your dilemma though... But my DS over DOUBLED his signs watching just a couple of these that we borrowed from the library..

My brother is deaf so I know many basic signs... It's not hard to do without a video, but it sure helped my son.. I started just showing him, he was about 20M when I found the video and he bloomed from there!

My 1 y.o. signs eat, more and all done right now.. She is adding more each day! And she has only watched one a couple times several months ago.... I just work with her every meal.. "All done" was first she signed back.. THen more and eat.... She tried to sign milk too!

Good luck... Signing Time has a forum on their site that is very helpful too!!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

We have been signing with Hutch since he was about 10 months...he really just picked it up VERY quickly...he is 16 months and can sign

please
more
thank you
milk
drink
eat
want
all done/finished
sit (well sorta, it is a hard sign)
no
fish
baby

We are using ASL signs, we have a REALLY good friend with a hearing impaired child and we basically learned most of the signs from her. Most books are very easy to follow...DH and I both knew some rudimentary sign before, and I am a really good fingerspeller. We have had lots of hearing impaired kids come thru our preschool dept at church and it helps to have a few people who can communicate when mom isn't right there. My signing friend is amazed at how well Hutch has done and says not all kids get it that easy. She teaches at our preschool and teaches her 2 year olds LOTS of signs during the year...colors, months, their names, mommy, daddy, etc...it is second nature for her to sign as she teaches, she would have to sit on her hands not to, I think, LOL...check with your library, not all sign language books/videos are created equal!

ETA - we have never used a DVD or video, simply because I am cheap and haven't found them at my library!

Last edited by stephdpn; 08-26-2006 at 05:30 PM.
stephdpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmom2b
I want to start signing with dd (non hearing impaired) as everything I've read about it makes sense and would love to be able to communicate with her as early as possible. Think I really need a DVD to be able to see how the signs are done. (Not sure I would be able to figure it out with a book..) Anyway, the videos I've heard mentioned like Signing Times and Babysigns are geared toward the infant but I don't want her exposed to screen media before age 2 (as recommended by AAP). Has anyone used a DVD to learn the signs themselves and then teach dc? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
I understand your delima w/ the video thing, but I just want to say that I think the AAP really put that advisory out because of excessive television and such. I am not saying that you shouldn't do what you feel best but I think a teaching video is not necesarily what they meant. If that makes sense. I am sure that you could learn the signs your self from the video though and then teach them to your child, infact it would probably be more benifical to use the signs in the appropriate context vs sitting in front of the TV. Like teaching words for more, eat, food, etc when eating. KWIM?
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just used simple books that were geared toward kids and the asl signs I remembered from working in spec. ed. My dd didn't always do them "by the book", but she definitely made them work for her. IMO it helped to ease the frustration before she learned to say the names for things she knew the signs for. She is 22 mos. now and doesn't sign much anymore bc she can say most of the things, but it did help a lot from about 12-18 mos. We don't let her watch tv...so I just used the books. She still likes to look at them.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

Go to your LIBRARY! All kinds of books and media are available on the subject and then you can choose what you like. And if you only need a couple of pages just copy! That's what we did and we've all enjoyed it. My littlest just doesn't want to talk so we started signing and now he can communicate and it is less frustrating all around. And as he learns the words, he drops the signs.
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
ktlady
Registered Users
seller

Here is a browser I have used. it is nice because it shows many signs using video:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
ktlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just about to suggest the exact same website! It was great. I think if you wanted converstional sign (like to master it for hearing impaired) I would do the video. But every word we taught our dd was here. Or here:
http://www.masterstech-home.com/ASLDict.html
SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote