Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Baby Sign Language question?

An awesome video (geared towards parents) is called Sign with your Baby by Joseph Garcia. The video (it comes in DVD too) goes through how signing works, which signs are the easiest to start with, what age is best to start, etc. It shows real families signing with their children. Then at the end of the tape it shows him doing the most frequently used signs, one at a time. If you buy the package deal it also comes with a book and also a laminated chart that has a space for you to mark the date that you introduce each sign to your child and the date that they sign it back.

I found this package priceless. At the height of her signing experience she was signing over 30 words. She is 20 months old now and doesn't really sign anything anymore. She is speaking in 3 - 4 word phrases and has a 200 word vocabulary. Signing was a very positive experience for us and I will do it with all of our children.

I understand you not wanting to show the videos to your kids and I agree that it is not necessary. I never showed any to my daughter and she did superbly with signing. I think you are wise to stick away from tv until she is two. I wish I would have adhered to that.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I've just used what I've found online, and I have one children's book with a bunch of common used words. I've been teaching the 18 month old I watch in a matter of 2/3 weeks he's learned please, thank you, cup, more, eat/bite/hungry, cookie, and baby. Also, you can make up your own signs. As long as you and her know what they mean it's fine, imo. Like, Landon actually does the cup sign for cookie. His "cup" is more like "more" with fists instead. But, we both know what he means.
Tiffany, Mama to the incredible JM (3.25.06) , NC (7.28.10) and EH (9.23.13)
We don't vaccinate, we kept our sons intact, we use cloth diapers, we co-sleep, we extended RF, we breastfeed, but we watch too much tv and I totally dig plastic! Everyone has their issues, lol.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hey're talking my language. I'm a Sign Language Interpreter (or was before the kiddo's came).

I've got some resources for ya. I second the recommend of Joseph Garcia's book/dvd set. It's really nice.

Whatever you do, don't go after the book 'Baby Signs.' It is not sign language.

Check out for tons of books. If you want to learn yourself, there is a wonderful set called Signing Naturally. You'll learn the language like a native learns.

Also, don't use The Joy of's not ASL either, or even the Pidgin system they claim to be.

Random House has a nice sign language dictionary in paperback, and it's about $20.

Signing Time is the best out there for children, hands down. The best price I've seen them for are at Mom4Life at (this link gets you 10% off).

I don't agree with the AAP recommends...and I'll leave that at that.

One thing...little kids tend to modify signs when they can't fully manipulate their hands into the various positions. Follow their lead with that, but still expose them to the correct form of the sign. Eventually they'll have the hand control to model the sign correctly.
Tabitha - Christian, homeschooling (2nd, 4-5th and 8th grades), mama!
My Etsy, Three Eves Boutique. Offering LTK knits, spinning fiber & more. Open for customs.
Two Of A Kind Knits Tab and Jodi - joint licensed LTKnitters!

Last edited by 3girlymom; 08-31-2006 at 12:51 AM.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I totally reccommend signing time. Both of my kids love it and my dd who is 15mo watches it and does the signs with the video. My ds(almost 3) never picked up the signing until we watched the videos. Both love it and I like it too so we are learning the signs together.
Kerri wifey to dh since 2000! SAHM to Robbie (03), Abby (05) and Elijah (07) Stocking at Serenity Tree
kthoelen is offline   Reply With Quote