Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Where is the best/worst place to live (Autism/special needs programs)

Dh's work said they will transfer him anywhere he needs to go for ds and his care. Right now, there is only one school for him that is remotely close (1 hour drive), which he was going to 4 hours a day 5 days a week for ABA therapy, speech, OT, and 1:1. He was also in an inclusion classroom with 6 other typically functioning kids his age. This is state funded, but when he turns 3 in September, we have no financial help at all. I can send him into the public school system after Sep 25th for preschool intervention , but they are honestly horrible programs I can't even believe they can consider that "appropriate care" for my son, or anyone elses child for that matter...even a monkey??

Well, we HAD to pull him out friday (I'll explain that ball of wax later), and there is NOWHERE else he can go. (they are trying to make the school all typical/preschool, IMO. Now there are only 3 kiddos out of about 100 or so that have a disability...). Shouldn't I report that to the people that give them their funding?!

Anyonme else have any thoughts? Do you love a program near your area, or wish you lived somewhere else where you could get better care for your child?

Any insight would be helpful. We are looking into Portland, OR area (only b/c my fam is near), but we are willing to go to freakin iceland if that is where the best care would be. I'm just so sick of the system failing our kids. Hopefully someone will have some insight for me. I am so sad right now. I just want my boy back!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by drenotdoctor; 08-26-2006 at 09:01 PM.
drenotdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where is the best/worst place to live (Autism/special needs programs)

Iceland is actually very Beautiful! You might be surprised but it was named that to keep the settlers away it really should be named greenland and greenland should be Iceland..........Sorry threadhighjack

I am not sure of a good place because I am not familar with what you are going though but I want you to know I hope you find a great place to raise your babies and help them get the education they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenotdoctor
Dh's work said they will transfer him anywhere he needs to go for ds and his care. Right now, there is only one school for him that is remotely close (1 hour drive), which he was going to 4 hours a day 5 days a week for ABA therapy, speech, OT, and 1:1. He was also in an inclusion classroom with 6 other typically functioning kids his age. This is state funded, but when he turns 3 in September, we have no financial help at all. I can send him into the public school system after Sep 25th for preschool intervention , but they are honestly horrible programs I can't even believe they can consider that "appropriate care" for my son, or anyone elses child for that matter...even a monkey??

Well, we HAD to pull him out friday (I'll explain that ball of wax later), and there is NOWHERE else he can go. (they are trying to make the school all typical/preschool, IMO. Now there are only 3 kiddos out of about 100 or so that have a disability...). Shouldn't I report that to the people that give them their funding?!

Anyonme else have any thoughts? Do you love a program near your area, or wish you lived somewhere else where you could get better care for your child?

Any insight would be helpful. We are looking into Portland, OR area (only b/c my fam is near), but we are willing to go to freakin iceland if that is where the best care would be. I'm just so sick of the system failing our kids. Hopefully someone will have some insight for me. I am so sad right now. I just want my boy back!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
cgs189
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont have or no anyone w/ your situtation. But just thought Id throw out my area for you to look into. Im in the Raleigh, NC area or RTP-research triangle park. We have lots of college/universities here. And good medical care such as Duke and UNC. Wake county(the county which Raleigh is in) is supposed to be one of the best school districts in the US. But like I said I have no experience w/ autism-so cant really say how the programs are here.

Last edited by cgs189; 08-26-2006 at 09:25 PM.
cgs189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Hayley.

maybe I'll reconsider iceland...lol

Last edited by drenotdoctor; 08-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.
drenotdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Wendylady
Registered Users

My son doesn't have autism but he does have hydrocephalus, and we lived in the Portland, Oregon area for about a year. (Hillsboro to be exact) For free services they really weren't very helpful. At the time my 18 month old wasn't crawling, walking, talking, etc and the most they had to offer for free services was a once a week playgroup for 45 mins. We had to pay for speech/physical therapists for him. And the playgroup wasn't that helpful, since there were about 15 kids in the class and only 3 teachers(one being a speech therapist and one a physical therapist)

We moved here to East Texas and he was able to receive weekly visits from both a speech and physical therapist until he turned 3, after that he moved into the preschool program for children with disabilities and developmental delays and he's doing absolutely amazing(at a 6-7 year old level in some areas, and he's only 4 1/2) We credit a lot of that to his incredible teachers he had the first year he was in it(we cried when they moved, seriously)

Now I don't know if there were more services that were offered out there in Oregon that we just didn't know about, but the only thing I was able to get any info on was that playgroup through the school district, and it was a waste of time imo.
Wendylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know that the Paradise Valley school district (Arizona) has a good special needs program for autistic kids. But, it is not really an inclusion program. It's a small classroom with a few kids and almost as many teachers. They TRY to send the kids off into the world of "real school" (30 kids, one teacher) but, not all of the kids make it there.

Other than that one district, I don't know of anything here that has a program that is worthy of my reccomendation. I will pray that you find his little niche in the world. I have worked with many autistic kids, and as frustrating as it is, it is also a blast! I still miss my favorite boy. He drove me nuts, and amused me for four years.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 08-26-2006 at 09:55 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I live in the DFW area, and while I personally do not know anyone going through this, my MIL use to be part of the Aspergers/Autism team in a school district. In each district or co-op of schools there is a special team dedicated only to helping children with aspergers/autism. I'm unsure of the services that they offer, but I do know MIL had to have lots of experience, certifications, ect to be on this team and it is considered an honor to be selected. MIL always talked highly of the program and she isn't shy about talking badly if she doesn't like something. If you want more info, I can talk to her. I hope you can find somewhere that will have the services your son needs.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
mom2zephyr
Registered Users
seller

Don't come to NC. They are doing all kinds of funky things to the mental health system and it's about to fall apart. I can't get services for my son now for anything!! 3 yrs ago I could get whatever I needed, not anymore. In fact, I'm looking at moving to another state as well.
Sylvia : -Mom to 17, 12, 7, 3, #5 in the fall
mom2zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow - I'm so sorry the system(s) in all states/cities can't be better placed or ran. I will check out my hometown of Portland, OR and see what is out here. My brother has ADD/ADHD, OCD and many other needs (not specifically Autism...but many of his classmates had Autism) that were not well met by the public school system. My family was extremely active in getting him into good programs and they were available here. BUT, this was over 10 years ago.

I'll ask around, especially on a local board I post to...we have very proactive mama's there too!

Best of luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

How frustrating, I'm so sorry I don't know about the public schools here, but I do know that there ARE special needs preschools, that are free, in Ft. Smith, AR. We looked into one when we brought home our ds (he didn't attend, so I don't know if it is a good program or not, but the classroom was ok). Also, in the same city there is a non-profit therapy center that is just wonderful. They are the best around, and never turn away a child because you can't afford it, and they see a lot of kids with ASD. Also, there are a lot of other things for special needs kids in the area. Such as CHAMPS for all kinds of sports, lots of free activities during the summer, and they have always been wonderful with my special needs kids. There is also an Autism support group, that I've heard is wonderful. It's just a SN friendly city in general. If you'd like more info pm me Good luck!
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote