Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Slow teethers?

I wouldn't say that I'm 'worried', but I'm curious. Compared to my friends kids (who are the same age), Kain has always gotten his teeth late. Not necessarily late for his age maybe, just compared to the other kids I know. Again, not worried - I know all kids develop in their own time and that's okay, not a problem But I was updating his baby book and I thought he'd already gotten all of the teeth he was going to get for now, but my neighbor said something about her grandson and teething...and he's just a bit younger than Kain. I thought, man...I can't believe there's a kid slower than Kain with teething. Looking at the baby book, it's got the teeth and the average 'arrival' time...and anyway...2 of the teeth were supposed to come in around 20 months and the other 2 at 24 months, roughly. He's gotten one of these recently, but no sign of the others - at all. He's 31 months. Is that weird? I had a lot of dental work starting a young age and it SUCKED. We all went to the dentist a little while back and she commented on the fact that he hadn't gotten them and kind of made a face like it was weird....

Is it 'normal' to be almost a year behind in getting teeth? My other son has been a slow teether too.

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Slow teethers?

I don't have much info, danae just got her first tooth a few weeks ago and is 18 months but i was told they might be delayed due to her having ds. if your concerned, i'd take him in to get dental xrays and make sure the teeth are there, if they are then i wouldnt worry, they'll come down
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not sure--jonas doesn't have any at 10 months while his twin has 6 already. but i know they are in there because he had to have a head xray and i saw all of them!!

i knew a little boy who had like 5 teeth at a year and a half.

i've heard that there is no reason to be concerned unless they don't have any by 18 months. does his dentist seemd concerned?
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd didn't get any teeth until 10 months I think. Right now at 20 months she has the front two on bottom, front four on top, and 2 molars on top and 2 on bottom. So she has a wide gap on the bottom between her two teeth in the middle and her molars. I think all 4 of the molars and 2 of her top teeth came in at about the same time a few months ago. I took her to a pediatric dentist (it was free) a few months ago back when she may only have had 4 teeth, and he was totally unconcerned. According to him they don't care about the rate that teeth come in, and that just about anything is normal and okay. Also, his son was missing a bunch of teeth that normally come pretty early on until 2.5 and they just thought that he didn't have them, but wasn't worried about it. When dd went to a endocrinologist, he asked when her first teeth came in, but didn't comment on it, and in general did not think she had any issues to be dealt with by him (she was 14 lbs at a year, and is finally growing on a curve but off the chart).

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

My ds was 13 months before ever getting any teeth and I think he didn't get his one year molars until he was about 2. DD got her first tooth the day after her first birthday, so I imagine she will be "slow" too. I agree with what the pp said about xrays if you are REALLY worried; but I wouldn't if you are just mildly worried. Oh, and I would just put a call in to the dentist and ask if it is a problem or if you should be worried. You can say that the dentist gave a look like it was strange and the more you thought about it, you wondered if there was cause for worry. I think if it were really problematic the dentist would have done an xray just to make sure everything was "normal".
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD didnt get any teeth until she was 17 months old and now at 16 she has very strong teeth and only 2 cavities My dentist says kids who get there teeth later usually have less dental problems in the future. So sit back and do not worry it could be a good sign.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aidan was alittle over 10months when he got his 1st 1, now at just about 16 he has 9 but he seems to get them 2 at a time except for his 1 bottom one.....my frined has a 7yr old that still have his 6yr molars coming in...so I wouldnt worry to much or ask a dentist
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is 19 months and she only has 4 teeth. The two front top ones and the two front bottom ones. There are pretty much no signs of any others even trying to come in. I was a late teether, so I think it must be hereditary. It is nice to know that I am not alone in having a slow teether!

Gretchen
~Mom to Sydney 19 months
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote