Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
aimee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Milk Supply Now..... Maybe TMI for some, LOL.

got some antibitocs yesterday for the mastitis, it was getting worse not better at all. Thank you everyone for your help.

So now my question is my supply. It really seems to have gone down, I usually can ALWAYS pump out 4 oz (2oz each side if not more) each time, no matter when I pump. But now I am lucky if I get 2 oz total. TMI, but my breast a feeling empty all the time, my let down is not strong like it used to be. My left breast which is the side with the infection still hurts BAD, but it is getting better. So what can I do to get my supply back up? I will NOT quit nursing, so I have to get my supply up again. Help me, PLEASE!!!

Thanks ladies you are wonderful!

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk Supply Now..... Maybe TMI for some, LOL.

The best advice is to keep that breast stimuated. Nurse often to build up supply. Are you sure the empty breast feeling is in direct corolation with the mastitis? The longer you nurse the "smarter" the boobs you get. Mine haven't felt full in years. I have never presonally felt let down... so i'm not sure about that aspect (unless I look it up.) (I can later if you want.)
Do you feel you dc is having a hard time getting milk? Children suck much better than any breast pump. In the beggining of my nursing relationship I was able to pump alot as it went on, I couldn't pump but a few drops but I always had milk.
Hope this helps... if you need more info let me know... (I am a (new) LLL leader) you can pm me if you want as I may forget to check this thread.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I have heard flaxseed and oatmeal will help w/ supply issues. there is a nursing cookine recipe that has both in it, but you could just eat either and I think it will help, I have not used either yet as I am pregnant and haven't had a chance to see if it helps supply, but I have heard raves on the cookies. Here is a link to the recipe.

http://community.livejournal.com/bre...g/2288837.html

Like I said though, I have been told the secret ingredients are flaxseed and oatmeal so if nothing else eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday for a while and see if it helps. Good luck. I am sure your supply is down becuase you have been hurting and probably not let DC nurse as much as usual from teh pain.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried Mothers Milk Tea? This always seems to help me when I have supply issues. HTH!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
southerngirl
Registered Users

I got sick not too long ago and my milk supply went WAY down. I started taking Fenugreek 3X's a day for a few days and my supply came back up. You can find Fenugreek at GNC or a local herb store. Good luck.

Monica
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
karen
Registered Users
seller

Don't worry - you are not losing your milk supply.
1. Remember - how much you can pump doesn't really tell you how much milk you have - it just tells you how much you can pump. Your baby can always get more out than you can pump. You may be pumping less because you were hurting so you were nursing less on that side? Do you still feel a good let down when your baby nurses? I always get a better let down for my baby than with the pump.
2. Just keep nursing often - every 2 hours or so if you're worried - and your milk supply will jump back up.
3. Does your baby seem like he/she's not getting enough? If not, don't worry. Even if she still seems hungry just keep swapping sides until she's satisfied
4. Once your body gets used to lactating your breasts won't feel "full" unless you go longer than you're used to without nursing. Ie. the first night she sleeps for a long stretch, or if you skip a feeding because you're out for the afternoon.

Good luck! Just trust your body - it knows what to do
karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
sweetirishCT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I went back to work, my supply dropped a TON...
My LC advised me to try fenugreek and blessed thistle (available at your HFS)... 3 tabs of each, 3 times daily until your supply gets to the volume that you want, then wean yourself back off the tabs (it's a ton of tabs, but they aren't too big and go down easily)... I went to 2 tabs 3times daily then 2 tabs twice daily then 1 tab twice daily. You can stay on that as long as you like, just to keep up your supply... Oh yeah, and it will make your urine smell very maple-ly (nobody told me that and I thought I had a UTI )
These are some of the herbs found in the Mother's Milk tea, just in stronger concentration. And are safe to take in high doses I am told because you pee out what your body doesn't need (hence the smell).
You will notice a huge difference in your milk production!
Oh, and these herbs shouldn't be taken if preggo, as they cause uterine tone...
If you have more questions, PM me!

Last edited by sweetirishCT; 08-28-2006 at 08:33 PM.
sweetirishCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
aschrimp
Registered Users

I had mastitis when ds was about 3 1/2 months old, and my supply dropped WAY down. It took about 3 days of ds nursing constantly for me to see an improvement, and about 5 days for me to not be worried about my supply.
Prior to that bout with mastitis, I always had a TON of milk. I could usually pump 5-8 oz even if he had just nursed, and if he skipped a feeding - look out! It was actually a blessing in disguise, because when my supply did come back, it was perfect for ds - without tons of extra all the time.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
suziraye
Registered Users
seller

I used mothers milk and fenugreek, I just sold my tea but I am going to relist the fenugreek pills. They are Natural Factors 90 count for $6.00ppd.
They are from a health food store and never opened. PM me if interested!
I could tell a HUGE difference when I took these!
suziraye is offline   Reply With Quote