Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

When to worry about a fever? BACK FROM THE DOC

DS is almost 3 (will be 3 Nov 4th). He spiked a fever out of nowhere - I mean he was totally fine this morning & then all the sudden his cheeks are bright red & he came to cuddle w/me on the couch (I'm doing a lot of nothing b/c I had surgery yesterday) & he is ON FIRE. His temp was about 104 (under the tongue) & I gave him motrin (1.5 tsp - I hope that's enough) & it's at 101.8 now.

When do you worry or need to see a doc?

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 08-31-2006 at 11:09 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: When to worry about a fever?

If the fever is reacting to the motrin I would just watch and wait. See if other syptoms show up. The Dr will be able to better assess the situation than if all he has is a temp. Usually they will tell you that the fever has to remain high for 24 hr (I think that long or longer) before bringing them in.

Rebekah is sick too, croupy cough and fever. Poor thing is misserable. Hope he feels better soon.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I just put him in a tepid bath to see if that will help. He's just really fussy & had that fever. He peed all over the kitchen floor too (he's been potty trained a couple weeks now). I dunno if that's b/c he's sick? Weird... usually he makes a mad dash for the bathroom when he "has to go" but he just stood there & stared at me.

I called his ped & the nurse said the same old thing - basically if it's still high tomorrow they can see him if I'm concerned or go to the ER if I'm worried about it tonight... so basically "Do what you want" so

He's acting ok just fussy so hopefully it will blow over & pass the baby too.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

102 is my cut off for giving tylenol - anything below that and I just let it run its course since fever is one of the ways your body fights infection and totally getting rid of it means your immune system won't be working as effeciently.

104 is kinda scary high, though, unless it's the ONLY symptom. 104 is getting into the range of where kids have febrile seizures. It's good that you got it down to 101 - if the motrin hadn't worked, I'd be right off to the doc. Is he acting like he feels bad? Crying? In pain? Not eating? Vomiting? Diarrhea? Rash? I think you gotta put all the symptoms together to warrent a doc trip, unless you are just really worried and then by all means call the doc!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
104 is kinda scary high, though, unless it's the ONLY symptom. 104 is getting into the range of where kids have febrile seizures. It's good that you got it down to 101 - if the motrin hadn't worked, I'd be right off to the doc. Is he acting like he feels bad? Crying? In pain? Not eating? Vomiting? Diarrhea? Rash? I think you gotta put all the symptoms together to warrent a doc trip, unless you are just really worried and then by all means call the doc!
Well when I called the doc it was 104.8 & they said "Oh well we don't need to see a child unless their temp is 105 or above. I was like... ok 104.8 is fine? Anyway... I guess it's his only symptom but I dunno... for the past few days he's been coughing/runny nose & overly fussy. So I dunno if that's related or not. He tells me "my body is cold" & "I feel yucky." He's telling me he hurts but not specific about where. No puking or diahrea. He had a "mystery rash" I posted about a couple days ago... just a tiny bit is still there. No crying... he has eated ok today.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Where was the rash? Some of what you've described sounds like the flu (the fever, unspecific achiness and coughing, and the lethargy--standing and staring at you after peeing on the floor instead of dashing for the potty), but the rash makes me wonder if it's one of the childhood viruses that causes a rash. Are his cheeks still red (fifth disease maybe)? Or has he had strep recently (which can cause scarlet fever)?

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by halyled
Where was the rash? Some of what you've described sounds like the flu (the fever, unspecific achiness and coughing, and the lethargy--standing and staring at you after peeing on the floor instead of dashing for the potty), but the rash makes me wonder if it's one of the childhood viruses that causes a rash. Are his cheeks still red (fifth disease maybe)? Or has he had strep recently (which can cause scarlet fever)?
He's never had strep... or 5th that I know of. The rash was on his butt & lower back. It's pretty much gone now, just a tad still there. His cheeks aren't as red now that he took a cool bath.

He's watching Blues Clues now & eating cereal. His eating is fine so that's good.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Your doc is crazy for saying they don't need to see them until the temp is 105 or higher. My ped would go through the roof! 105 is way to high no matter what age you are!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I am going to take him to the doctor. While his fever is still down from the 104.8 w/the motrin & tylenol, but he woke up off and on all night & this morning is actually asking to go to the doctor b/c his ear hurts. Poor guy.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

Poor little guy-I hope that he feels better. It sounds like the flu to me too. Did they tell you to alternate with the Motrin and Tylenol?
driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote