Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Spitting up

My son is 1/2 breastfed, 1/2 formula due to low supply. He gets a 2 oz bottle of formula after nursing every 2 hours. My problem is that he ALWAYS spits up!! Sometimes I swear he spits up his entire bottle and then some! When he's only getting breastmilk (I have a friend that pumps for me, so every so often he gets to go a few days without formula), he still spits up, but it's not nearly as much, as it's kinda clear instead of the white stuff he spits up when he has formula. We still burb him, and sometimes he burps, sometimes he doesn't, but whether or not he burbs generally doesn't have an effect on how much he spits up.

Is there anything we can do?? He's on soy formula (he used to have to be on Alimentum - thank the Goddess he doesn't need that anymore at $25 a can!). My step-mom thinks that babies just spit up, but it just seems like some days he's not keeping down anything. Any advice??

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spitting up

Tiffani-You may already know this, but keeping him upright for at least 20 minutes after eating really helps. At minimum, don't lay him down right after!! Neither of my kids were big spitters, but if it did happen, it was usually because they either 1)had a cold and the phlegm was making them spit up or 2) I didn't keep them upright. Also, my daughter spit up quite a bit early on because she didn't recognize when she was full, and the first burp would bring it all back up!! When she was about 3 months old, it pretty much went away. Both mine were/are breastfed, so I don't know how the formula might affect it. So perhaps don't "encourage" him to finish a bottle - let him decide when he's finished and if there's some formula left, oh well.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

My son is EBF but he spit up ALL THE TIME, even now at 9 mo old he spits up about half the time when he nurses. When he was little, I thought for sure that he must be starving because there was no way he was getting enough to eat based on how much he spit up, but judging by how many wet diapers he had, things were fine - and he was nevery fussy like he was in pain, just spit up and kept on trucking.

I really think some babies just spit up more than others. Mine, I think, just overeats...he likes to suck and doesn't stop even when he's full. I think if your baby has plenty of wet diapers and is growing, then it's just a laundry problem.

rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of bottles are you using? The only thing that got my second baby to not spit up was switching to Playtex bottles - even when he was only on breastmilk, he spit up. Keeping him as upright as possible should help too. Some babies do "just spit up". Most all but out grow it by 6mo, though some continue much longer (usually those with other issues such as reflux or allergies). It could just be a mild case of reflux. If so, formula (even soy) and dairy products can all aggravate it. So, if your bm supplier is consuming dairy, that means that her milk would still aggravate it.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first daughter spit up all the time. Whenever we had a sitter come over, we told them to make sure you have 2 burp cloths plus a receiving blanket. I'm sure you have heard this before, but it always looks like more than what it really is. I always tried to feed her sitting up as much as possible, even when she was bfing. After her feedings I would sit with her for about 30 minutes. I wouldn't even sit in a rocking chair. It was a pain in the butt, but I could see a difference, especially when we didn't wait 20-30 minutes. She finally out grew it when she learned to sit up on her own. Hang in there it will get better. One more word of advice, always make sure that you have a clean shirt in the diaper bag with you. Burp cloths can only clean up so much!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I posted a similar thread last week and tons of mommas offered awesome advice! I took ds to the drs and they diagnosed him with reflux and put him on soy formula and zantac. It has helped some but not much. I totally agree with pps saying to keep upright and stuff also try to burp more often. If none of that helps maybe call the drs? HTH
Old 08-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
What kind of bottles are you using? The only thing that got my second baby to not spit up was switching to Playtex bottles - .
That was going to be my suggestion too. I know you have said you are using the avent bottle. I have more problems with that bottle than with any other.

I have had a few babies, where it seems almost like the full bottle just rolls back out of the baby's mouth after they eat. There is a muscle that doesn't always close off all the way, and the milk comes back up. It isn't the same as a child who spits up when he burps, it just comes back out.

Sometimes when the milk is in a bottle, it goes down differently, so it tends to come back out more often than a child who is breast feeding. Perhaps the milk is easier to get from the bottle, so they eat a little faster. I am not sure.

If he is also extra fussy, it's possible that the formula isn't agreeing with him.

AND, yes, babies just spit up. There are tricks to make it easier. Some parents swear by feeding the baby, then putting him in a carseat, and letting it all settle before jostling him. You don't want to put any pressure on his tummy, so a carrier (mei tai, wrap) is probably not a good idea.

Your doctor will tell you to thicken the milk with rice. In 20 years of childcare, I have never seen that this makes any difference at all. In fact it seems to make it worse. But, it doesn't hurt to try.

I suggest trying a playtex disposable for a few days and see if that helps a little.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I swear by the Dr Brown's bottles, they make a big difference in not only colic but reflux as well. My little guy has silent reflux, he was switched to Dr Brown's bottles, and soy formula-well, I have a different baby! He is much happier, sleeps longer than the 10 min he was sleeping and no longer screams in the car. I do keep him upright for 30 min after a bottle, but I do that with all the babies anyway. Try one of the bottles and see if that helps.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
suziraye
Registered Users
seller

I used to put 2 or 3 bibs on my baby so I could just take themoff one at a time. I eventually just started putting cereal in her bottle. Holy Cow, it made a huge difference. I started off just putting a couple of teaspoons and now I put 3 tablespoons to 4-5 oz. It makes such a difference. It is noce to be able to put a cute outfit on her and people can actually see it insteadof a a big tacky bib!
My baby is 5 months and I have been doing it since she was 4 months
suziraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use the Avent bottles, but he can't use anything else. I had spent a bunch of money on having a whole stock of playtex, and for some reason he just can't get anything out of them, so I had to sell them. I even tried a walmart knock-off of Avent, thinking the nipple was practically exactly the same, and he can't get anything out of that bottle, either.

I will try sitting him up. Although we have a Bumbo and we've learned absolutely NO sitting in the bumbo after eating! He spits up THE MOST when we put him in it unless we wait at least an hour after he eats.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote