Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
RhondaJane
Registered Users
seller

Re: Share how you got started ECing

I guess you could say we started ECing around 8 months. I could just tell my DD hated pooing in her diaper, so I started sitting her on the potty when I knew she needed to go. I never even considered doing it for pee, never heard about EC until I saw this forum about six weeks ago. So then I started offering her the potty throughout the day and cueing her, and she's gone almost every single time she's on the potty. Now she hasn't wet her diaper during the day for the past two days and I'm really excited, but kind of stunned, she's only 12.5 months. She really loves it and gets so excited when she goes on the potty, it's so cute and amazes all of our family because they can tell she likes it!

Advertisement

Happily expecting #3 in Sept 2012
RhondaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
VelouriaMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Share how you got started ECing

We started around 2 months. I had read a little about EC & got a BBLP when I was pregnant. DD hates to be wet so we were doing like 30 diaper changes a day. I started putting her on the potty at each diaper change and every time she woke up. DD seemed to like it mostly (at least more than she liked a wet dipe ) and we were using way fewer diapers. Then she started waking me up at night to pee & there was not turning back.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
sthullen
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

We started at 2 weeks, although planned to do it from birth (unfortunately had to recover from difficult delivery ). I can't remember how I found out about it, but then read Diaper Free, told my husband about it and he also was up for it!

Currently doing it part-time - usually on timing, once DD wakes, at diaper changes, before and after going out. We had a really successful 2nd & 3rd month, catching loads of pees this way, some poos (DD didn't poo that often, every 4-5 days, so it was hard to know her signals!) but the last couple of weeks there's been lots of misses! It is still difficult to read here signals, especially the pees, but are getting better at the poos recently as she's becoming a bit more regular!

We cue only with psss for both pees and poos. We have a couple of potty bowls, sometimes we use the sink or toilet. At first she would be really fussy on the potty, but now she loves sitting there!
sthullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

We started when my daughter was 5 months. I'd been reading about it and had tried when she was younger but she hated the potty....but when she was 5 months she sit on the potty on her own, she didn't pee every time she nursed anymore...it was just easier with her. We've slacked off quite a bit in recent months though and I'm trying to get her back into it. She's actually got a rash we've been having trouble getting rid of so it seems like the perfect time to get up the nerve to let her go diaper free and hope we get her on the potty quickly! lol
trilla_marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Mommyw/diapers
Registered Users
seller

3 children back, I started later (about a year). Not very effective (wasn't trying too hard either).

2 children back, I did it a little more and from about 2 months she didn't wear a diaper at bedtime and stayed dry most nights shortly thereafter. I think it was easier for me to do with a girl because I figured gravity would pull the wet below her if she was going to have an accident.

With the current baby, 6 months, I started at about 2 weeks. He almost always goes first thing in the morning and right after each nap. I'm not brave enough to keep his diaper off at night because it is a "he" and he sleeps on his back or side and we co-sleep. I don't want to have to wash the mattress pad under him and all the sheets/blankets on top also. So, I guess I'm lazy.

I use the infant b'jorn for him and the next size up for the next one. For the baby, I sit it on the bathroom counter, say pssst and turn on the faucet. If he doesn't go right away, I carefully get the water to body temp. and sprinkle a little down there. I tell the kids I'm getting him washed off To get him off of there I reach for the leg that is the opposite side as my arm and get him off by tilting him toward my arm (otherwise he kicks and squirms and knocks the potty seat off). Also, if it's just potty, I just dump his in the sink and rinse it. BM I dump into the toilet. (Still exclusively BF)

Actually, I use his b'jorn to give him his bath also. Put it on the counter, take off his clothes and sit him on there. I can use the wash cloth and wash under his neck, back, tummy, front diaper area... Then I get him off and wash off his back diaper area. Then I wrap him in the towel and wash his hair. It works very well!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
jubethone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm pregnant now with my first child. I wasn't interested in EC at first, but my husband got excited and got me interested in it when my parents told him that they had EC'd me from birth. They said that they themselves were EC'd from birth and that it was "common knowledge" passed down from my grandmothers. They would make a certain whistle as a cue to pee and a "nn nnnn" sound to poo. I'm interested in some other methods of doing it, but I may get my mom to help me out with this child so I can learn from her.
jubethone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Kotzurk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is a BBLP?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
atomicfrock
Registered Users
seller

began @8 mo w/1st & @BIRTH w/2nd

I will try to keep this as BRIEF as possible but email me if you need help or have questions.

Began EC with 1st child (boy) at 8 months old. We were considered late-starters. Read "Infant Potty Training" by Laurie Bouke. Started out fantastic, used a BBLP. Had lots of strikes/pauses along the way. We started nighttime EC at apx 9 months old and that was awesome, too. Pees were always easier and he was 100% by 18months excluding accidents. Poops weren't really consistent until after 2 yrs old. I was a bit obsessive at first and that hampered the process. I've learned how to be a much more patient person. EC changed our lives forever (for the better) in ways I could have never imagined!

Began EC with 2nd child (girl) from birth. More amazing and natural than you can ever imagine and I HIGHLY recommend it! Held her over a pre-fold (with a lap pad underneath) while nursing because I was afraid to hold her over a potty bowl. But after a week I switched to a plastic mixing bowl with soft rounded edges (we keep several around the house) and that's what we still use (day & night). By 3 wks old she was holding her pee/poop and expected me to be there for her. She is now 2 months old and I will leave her diaperfree at times during the daytime. For peace of mind, I often keep her in FuzziBunz. However, I only use a single layer microterry "doubler" instead of the regular inserts as she only pees 1 or 2 diapers a day (and then she usually only pees a little and holds the rest in until I can get to her). She never poops in her pants/diaper (only skid marks occasionally or little spurts). I can also hold her over a sink or toilet. Now we don't need the potty bowl during nursing sessions either (only at night). Our cue sound is "pssss" then "pee/poop" depending on what comes out. Funny, but I'm starting to feel pretty stupid using a cue. She knows what she's doing and apparently I was the only one who really need any "training"!!!
Occassionally I will speed up the process by dribbling a little distilled water on her girl parts (especially at night when I'm TIRED). That (or maybe a little wipe with a cloth) will also help you know if they are done or if there's more coming out.

If you are starting EC, I don't recommend charting for more than 1 day, if that. Let your instincts take over and NO OBSESSING. R-E-L-A-X & enjoy the ride! Some type of cloth diaper is a MUST (or no diaper at all). Starting from birth is definitely the way to go if you can!

All the Best,
Carrie
atomicfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
atomicfrock
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure someone has already responded??... but, just in case... BBLP is a Baby Bjorn Little Potty. You can find them at Babies R Us online, I think. Or ebay or maybe The EC Store (online). It is the smallest potty "chair" out there for sale. But still too big for small infants (then you can just use a mixing bowl or such).
atomicfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #20
anniefannie
Registered Users
seller

We started at 2 weeks. A friend of our who used to live at a co-op with my husband and I gave me the Diaper Free book when I was pregnant and my husband read it and got really into it. He was the one really pushing for us to do it... I on the other hand was completely overwhelmed with being a new mommy!

After two weeks I decided to try it and it actually worked! I was so excited.

We would use the sitz bath tub next to the bed first thing in the morning, and then the sink the rest of the time. Now we use a little potty or a seat on the big potty.

We make a hissing sound for pee and grunting for poo. And signals have never been to helpful (aside from the obvious "i'm trying to poop face"), so we've used the timing/instinct combo... much to my surprise (I'm not sure why!) our instincts are pretty right on!

We have never been too hard core about it, mostly we just like to keep it casual and fun.

Lately (like the last 6 months!) our DD, who is almost 11 months, has been pretty cranky about sitting on the potty, like screaming every time we put her on, so we haven't been doing it too much. But we've discovered that she likes to read while on the pot (just like her Daddy ), and that has been saving us lately.

Just today I caught three pees! I haven't caught that many in months. Hooray for ECing!!!
anniefannie is offline   Reply With Quote