Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #21
radiosmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

I just came form the Baby Expo here in Seattle, where I purchased a book (Diaper Free Baby), potty chair, and a fleece cover for the potty chair seat all for $25 from the diaperfreebaby.com booth. I had heard of this group and of ec here and there, but had never considered actually trying it until I spoke to the reps at the booth today. When they told me that you must be able to recognize the baby's signs that he is about to pee or poop in order to be able to do this, I was very intrigued, as I realized I already do this.
I have been cd'ing my baby and have purchased some very nice diapers that I really want to keep free of stains. I also still have a little while to go on a gift of three months of a diaper service that was given to me when my son was born, so I have pf's that all I have to do is toss in a bag when they are wet or soiled, and the service picks them up once a week. Generally, he wears the pf's at home during the day, and the nice diapers we save for overnight and excursions out of the house. In an effort to keep the nice cd's poop-free, when I see my son starting to make those faces and sounds indicating that he is about to poop, I rush him out of the nice diaper and into a pf. That way the diaper service can deal with it instead of me.
But anyway, today as soon as we got home from the Expo, instead of putting my baby in a pf I sat him on the potty. To my amazement, he went in it right away. I figured it was a fluke, but he has gone pee and poop three more times this evening in the potty. He smiled when I acted proud of him and praised him afterwards, and even kinda cried when I put his diaper on him when he was finished. So it appears that we are off to a great start, and I think that we have a shot at being successful at this. By the way, my baby is ten weeks old. I would never have believed this was possible if I hadn't done this experiment.

Advertisement

radiosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #22
radiosmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Update to 1st post: It has been one week since we started using EC, and I am just amazed at how easy it has been. My son is 11 weeks old. With just a few exceptions, he only has wet/soiled diapers now if we are out of the house, or overnight. We get 100 pfs a week each Monday from a service. Before this past week, we would always run out of diapers by Friday, and I would have to wash the pfs myself to get through the weekend. Now here it is Saturday and we still have 30 clean pfs left. And most of those in the wet bag were only used as wipes after he got through on the pc. I think I will cancel the service pretty soon.
I have not been brave enough to try any of the advanced level stuff, like not having him wear diapers at all, or keeping something near the bed for him to go in at night like a ziploc bag. Or maybe I am too lazy for that stuff- right now I still consider this an experiment and not a lifestyle. I don't want him to be completely diaper free- I just bought all these great cd's I want him to wear!
It's crazy, though, how fast my baby has learned this. I always talk to him as if he were 10 years old or so, explaining what we are doing as we go about our day. People may think it's silly to do that, but I believe he understands a great deal of what I say to him. So when I think it is time for him to go, I don't have a cueing sound, I just put him on the potty chair and tell him, "Go pee," or, "Go poop," or, "Time to use the potty." And if he has to, he does, every time! He sometimes acts cranky about it, like he doesn't want to sit there, but then he concentrates and gets to peeing.
The only misses we have had at home happened because I wasn't "listening" to him. I was holding him, doing something else, and he was babbling away, but I didn't consider that maybe he was actually trying to tell me he had to go. And then pooped in the diaper. So now besides looking for physical signs that he has to go, if he starts "talking" a lot all of a sudden, I put him on the potty. He always goes in those cases. A couple of these times I was really surprised that he pooped because he had no other displays that he had to do so, just the vocalizations.
I am sure that he understands the words, and that it is not just a matter of me catching when he has to go by his actions. Once, he had just peed (and thus had no diaper on) and I went to dump the contents of the pc into the toilet. After I did so, I held him over the toilet and told him, "When you are bigger, this is where you will poop." And then he pooped in my hand! As grody as that was, I was thrilled that he associated the word with the action- and that it happened over the toilet, too.

If you haven't tried EC yet with your baby, go for it! It is so amazing!
radiosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #23
rkirkeby
Registered Users
seller

Any advice for moms with twins? I think I would like to try EC, but the thought of doing it with two at once seems kinda overwhelming.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Geist
Registered Users

We planned on EC-ing from birth, but after the birth decided it might be better to wait until we got the hang of breastfeeding...or perhaps because we didn't quite believe how easy it would be to get started. So we started today, when he was one week old. We gave him his first bath and instead of putting him in a diaper, just laid him on a towel next to me after feeding him and he took a nap. I noticed him stirring a bit and saw that his penis looked "full" so I figured, why not...carried him to the sink ran some warm water and said "pssss." All of a sudden, another stream of water ran parallel to the tap water and hit me in the arm! I was so surprised I nearly dropped him. I proudly carried him back into the living room to tell his papa...and he started peeing again, all over the living room. Fortunately most of it hit an ad and the rest of it landed on the coffee table--easy to wipe up. We laid him down on the couch to clean up...and he pooped on the towel. That's how we figured out that he needs to be pottied after naps. Despite the urine and poop everywhere, we were both psyched and later on I managed to get a poo and two more pees in the toilet after feeding him! He hasn't been in a diaper since this afternoon.
It's weird because you read about this on the internet and in books and think, "wow, that would be really great if it would work with our kid," but you never really think it will. But it does! We'll see how the rest of this EC-ing goes...
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #25
dkjallbring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi!

DD wouldn't go poo in her diapers. She wouldn't go poo period. We took her to a Cranial Sacrial Therapist. We did tummy massage. We used a thermometer and glycerine suppositories for rectal stimulation. She screamed. We thought she had "colic." Then on Sept 10th, I took dd to another LMT, CST person who said, "your baby is robust in every fashion, except she won't have a BM. You must consider that perhaps she doesn't want to soil herself and you should consider EC." I did that day, in the bathroom with neighbor who said, "Hold her over the sink and say sssssss into her ear." She went. Since Sept 10th, we've only had poo diapers if she's sick or if I'm awfully negligent at catching her cues. She cues us. She's teaching us. I finally read some info on EC this weekend.

Think of all the babies who are labeled as something just b/c they want to practice natural infant hygiene.

Cheers,
Debbi
dkjallbring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #26
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirkeby View Post
Any advice for moms with twins? I think I would like to try EC, but the thought of doing it with two at once seems kinda overwhelming.
i dont have twins but have babysat PL twin girls at 2 yrs of age. U are kinda going to be doing this now or later. might as well get it over with now, KWIM?? From experience trying to EC an older child, PL 2 kids and now EC'ing our 3mo. i would definitely say eariler is better.

you could also always start with just one child. As she catches on, let the other one start, too. Just put them on the potty / or hold them - 20 mins after they eat for a start. They can always be staggered, too. I woudlnt worry about catching the pees as much as just observing them & learning.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, hi,
we just started EC'ing DD out of the blue last week.

I tried it with DS2 when he was 5 mos - we had a lot of pauses and I would get stressed, trying to keep his diapers dry- dont know what that was all about!

She hates to be in a wet diaper. She's been like this from day #1. and needs to be changed constantly!! I moved to hemp inserts because i thought this was the problem but she rarely soaks the diaper. I kept the BBLP and just one day with DD thought - let's just see...

We've been doing it for about 2-3 days - she is doing great! We are having so much fun! I am catching lots of pees but trying to remember it is not about that per-se.

After PL 2 boys traditionally, (still working on my 2yo, really)
I have really learned to be patient and laid-back about it. - or at least appear that way to my DS2. OK probably not as patient with him, but not stressing about DD. She just seems to like it so that is how far we have gotten.I am also hoping it helps with her consitpation. I made some Babylegs out of old socks for a few days. and she wears a fleece jumper over a shirt and the babylegs wtih FB dipes. Its amazing, tho. Having the equipment to just jump in & go - makes it so easy - im really not taking any more time when I change a diaper.

PS - it is 11pm and she has been in the same dry diaper since before 6pm. i dont remember - but she has gone potty like 4x in a row!

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 11-11-2008 at 08:59 PM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
mrsdelaughter
Registered Users

My Mood:

A friend of mine adopted a baby from China. They hold the babies over a hole and whistle for pee and make clucking noises (with your tongue) for poo. The problem I had with saying pee-pee and poo-poo was that if it came up in conversation and the child hears, they think it is time to go.
mrsdelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
AyseGizem
Registered Users
seller

Hi,
I'm fairly new to this board, have been lurking for a long time looking for answers, posting for the first time
I started EC'ing with Iza at 5 days old. I used to cue her between diaper changes. I was night time EC'ing for a long time and as a newborn she would go the entire night totally dry.
Iza is 7 mo on December 18th, doesn't cue me any longer for her pees, but indicates when she needs to have a bm. We use the BBLP and a toilet seat insert (which is loves because we have a special bathroom only toy when she sits there).
We're still mostly CDed, but now that she's mobile and can find her BBLP and crawl over, I might start giving her more diaper free times. I'm crossing my fingers she'll one day crawl over to the potty and bang it to let me know she needs to go
Am I asking for too much ? hehe.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #30
blueyes28
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am hoping that it's not too late to start EC'ing on my almost 1 year old. I'm thinking he'll be able to do it, but -- I also work part-time and am not so sure his father (who gets visitation) will comply with it. That and I don't think they'd really know what to do in daycare.. My dream is to work from home, but that's not happening anytime soon either.
So I will be lurking here from time to time trying to find answers..
blueyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote