Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
Termie
Registered Users
seller

Talk to me about BFing and Pregnancy

So I'm not planning to get pg for at least another 6mo... but we all know how plans sometimes go.

I know lots of you have bf while pg and then tandem nursed. So I know it's possible despite what western medicine says. But I have a question.

Could you talk to me about what you experienced while bf'ing and being pregnant.

Also, I am high risk due to multiple miscarriages in the first trimester and a blood clotting disorder that I take blood thinner injections for daily to avoid damage to the placenta. With one or both of those will nursing while pg be out of the question? Does anyone know if the blood thinners are passed on to the nursing child?

I will DEFINITELY be bringing all this up to my OB when I go back, but I know he'll encourage full weaning before TTC. So I thought I'd get some of your input on things you've already been through first.

THANKS!!
Sara

Advertisement

Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about BFing and Pregnancy

I've had several miscarriages. I've had a preemie and a barely term baby. I have nursed through at least half of each pregnancy (except the first one of course). They ALWAYS said "wean" its WAY easier for them. They gave all their reasons. I didn't wean. I'm not weaning (and am pg) right now. It is sometimes VERY uncomfortable to nurse while pg though. But its also, to me, TOTALLY worth it.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about BFing and Pregnancy

I'm not sure about the drugs aspect... I know myself even if I was at risk for m/c I wouldn't stop. My feeling is that if its going to happen it will and I would hate to give up my bfing just incase. It would be comforting to have that nursling if something happened.

Now for my experience I am almost 20 wks and have been bfing threw this pg. At times it was very painful I have very sore nipples. But it has gotten better. For sanity reasons I weaned at night... he was 2 at the time. Now we only nurse at nap or in teh morning. Somedays he doesn't bf at all... I am sure he is self weaning ... he's almost 2 1/2 now. I plan to bf ds as long as he wants and if hes still bfing in 20 wks I will tandem. I've been very lucky so far as too not have any supply issues which are common in pg.

Hope that helps a little.

If you have a LLL I suggest talking to someone there... I did and it made me feel at ease about getting pg while bfing.