Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Advise on night nursing while pg

So I am pg EDD April 13th. Sierra is 18mo and HIGH needs. We cosleep and she nurses all night. I mean ALL NIGHT! Akkkkk!... I am getting sore and have felt a dip in supply. I have oversupply and who knows if I will loose my milk at all or not. I really feel like I need my space at night and wanna night wean. I am honestly not getting support on this decision at LLL and my dh is questioning it also. Everyone says that is her neediest time and it will probably backfire. How the heck am I gonna nurse a toddler through the night and a nb?! I feel exhuasted everyday. I am mostly sleeping when she sleeps. I need my nights back. Any advise? or thanks for the rant lol.
Sarah

Advertisement

Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advise on night nursing while pg

I don't have any advice for you, but at my LLL group, they suggested nightweaning your toddler if you were pregnant (if you wanted to wean at all, I mean.) Things are hard enough with a nursing newborn, you know? I nightweaned my son when he was 15 months old and I was over 20 weeks pregnant. I was dried up by then and it hurt for him to be latched on all night long (which is what he normally did.)
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
augustgirl69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what was your secret to the night weaning? I am PG too, due in eraly april. Not to hijack BUT... I have the same problem- ds would stay latched on ALL NIGHT if I'd let him and with out getting to nurse he SCREAMS. I have gotten to the point where I can let him latch on for a few minutes and then I tell him the milkies need to go to sleep and so does he- he will roll over and go to sleep BUT he's back wanting to nurse every hour, it really hurts ao I can't sleep through it, I am SOOOO tired, my head hurts from lack of sleep, but I can't let him scream b/c then he's UP for hours!

Any advice/help (that DOES NOT INVOLVE DH) would be SOOO sppreciated!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

When I night weaned my DD, it was the only time she nursed and she didn't nurse the way you are describing, she only woke 1-2 times a night, so I don't know if this will help or not. I kept a bottle of water ready and instead of letting her nurse I gave her the bottle of water. She didn't want the water and finally figured out that was all I had to offer. It took a few nights but once I got her to reallize there was no other option then she gave up. I was PG at the time, but she was only 6 or 7 mo so I don't know it will work as easily w/ an older child but worth a shot I guess.
BTW, I could tell she was nursing for comfort not for food because she would latch on just long enough to fall asleep. I could take her back to her crib and she stayed asleep so I know she wasn't hungry. please don't think I was keeping her from nurishment. This was the only time that she wanted to nurse, she didn't want to nurse during the day, so I was only nursing at night at this point.

HTH
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a high-need, co sleeping toddler too, who does nothing but nurse. While I was pregnant with our second DD, I made the decision to just be there for her rather than nurse her at night.
This did mean that she would cry, however, it's not the same as letting her 'cry it out' because myself or my husband would be there by her side.
More often than not she would settle down very quickly, but on the occasions that she was 'really' upset, I would nurse her.

As your belly begins to grow, you will find that it is physically uncomfortable to nurse several times a night and talking calmly and rubbing her back might do the trick.
I would have my husband lay next to her instead or have a teddy bear between us.

Our second DD was born in April and I feel like my toddler still nurses more than the baby!!

I haven't completely night weened, but night nursing has been reduced

Good luck

Last edited by uk2usa; 09-03-2006 at 04:31 PM.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Thanks all. I really feel I need to reduce or wean. I have not slept well at all these past few nights. I have trouble sleeping well when pg, so getting up to nurse 4/5x per night is really not helping. I may follow dr Gordons night weaning technique. I would never CIO and am ok with continuing cosleeping. I think I ned to wait til all these teeth buds break the surface too. Any more advise is of course greatly appreceated. thanks
Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

similar situation here although i haven't really gotten to the point of needing to night wean her yet. i'm afraid it'll be bloody though - dd does not take well to being denied her tasties. i've been trying to unlatch her pre-emptively so she starts to lose the habit of needing a nipple in her mouth to go to sleep, but it's slow going so far.

i know bethanyjoy posted awhile back about nightweaning her toddler and she really recommended Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See if your library has "The No Cry Sleep Solution: For Toddlers and Preschoolers'.

But waiting for all those teeth maybe the way to go...

You might even find that as your pregnancy continues, your DD will somehow know that it's time to sleep. She may also sense your urgency to rest well...(I hope)
We co-sleep with both of our DD's, and I'm still rolling from side to side some nights. Some nights I want to scream. But it has helped having my husband sleep between us.

Last edited by uk2usa; 09-04-2006 at 09:48 AM.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote