Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Fishstix
Registered Users

What's your FAVORITE and why? Ready..set..GO!

Hi All!

I'm brand spankin (no pun intended) new to this CD thing and I don't know where to start! It's all so overwhelming. There's sooooo many options and to me, they all look the same. A few different colors, flats versus throw away inserts, Softbums versus Grovias? Do I go AIO? Do I go Hybrid?

I used disposable diapers with my first two and I felt so guilty. There was sooo much garbage. So many diapers going to waste, but at the time, it was the easiest option. This time around, I'd like to give cloth diapering a shot. I'm not going through the terror of being a first time mom or wondering how I'm going to figure out that breast feeding thing. So, I feel confident that I can do it this time.

But I need help in deciding what some of the better options are and the tricks of the trade if you will. Would love your input!! Thanks!

Advertisement

Fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Welcome

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Old 05-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
rcord
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's your FAVORITE and why? Ready..set..GO!

I love my bumgenius 4.0 pocket diapers and covers with prefolds. Welcome :-)
rcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
awesome_mama14
Registered Users
seller

Bumgenius 4.0!
awesome_mama14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
awesome_mama14
Registered Users
seller

Pockets! They're so easy
awesome_mama14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

Softbums are by far my favorite. Easy, and they honestly fit from birth to potty without being super bulky on a newborn. O love love love them!!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Flats and covers!
Titus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Tambelina
Registered Users
seller

I like prefolds with covers. For newborns still in the exclusively breastfed stage, it's best to learn how to fold them around the baby to contain the runny poop. Once it's more solid, you can just tri-fold the prefold and lay inside the cover. Here's a video on how to fold prefolds:

I use pocket diapers for my son's preschool one day a week and for when my 18yo babysits. My favorite pockets and covers are Rumparooz. They're kinda pricey, brand new, but they're very well made and are well worth it. I got all mine used off of the "Rumparooz FSOT" Facebook group. You can save quite a bit of money on them that way. Just look for ones that are EUC (excellent used condition) or VGUC (very good used condition). If you do buy brand new, buy from a site that offers free shipping with no minimum orders like diapersafari.com or abbyslane.com. Nickisdiapers.com also offers free shipping on all their pockets and covers.

For prefolds, a lot of people like the Cloth-eez prefolds from www.greenmountaindiapers.com. I use the Diaper Rite prefolds from www.diaperjunction.com. I don't know if one is better than the other. Also, I think prefolds make the best pocket diaper inserts. The microfiber ones that most pockets come with aren't very absorbent, in my opinion. You can get hemp and bamboo inserts that are trimmer and more absorbent. While prefolds make a bulkier insert, they are very absorbent and tend to be cheaper than hemp or bamboo inserts.

For overnight, I like fitteds and covers the best. I use Mother-ease Sandy's fitteds lined with a 100% bamboo or hemp doubler for overnight. There are all kinds of different fitteds out there, so shop around for what you like best. Some people use double-stuffed pockets for overnight, but that doesn't work for everyone. Fitteds tend to be more absorbent for overnight. For "tricks of the trade", check out www.fluffloveuniversity.com.

Last edited by Tambelina; 05-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Tambelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sized pockets here (Fuzzibunz specifically). Daycare friendly, good fit all the time (except between sizes), adjustable absorbency.

Welcome!
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
gypsykitten
Registered Users

Hi! When DD was a newborn, I used a diaper service which was nice because it was one less thing I had to deal with. They delivered 90 clean prefolds a week and took away my dirties. I just had to wash the covers. I used gdiapers, but doing it over, I like thirsties covers better. I'm just starting to experiment with wool so my opinion may change again. Now that she's 5 months, I have 40 pockets. Rumparooz are my favorite also, with bamboo inserts. I like the fit and they're cute. But they're expensive so most of mine are Kawaii, which offers great deals on bundles. I've replaced all my microfiber inserts with hemp and bamboo. I still use thirsties covers with their hemp prefolds (my favorite) and imagine bamboo flats sometimes. I use fitteds with a cover overnight. I like some etsy sellers (little boppers, zoya) and good mama. Just experiment. Some shops offer trials and buying used mixed lots is a cheaper way to try new things. Congrats and good luck!
gypsykitten is offline   Reply With Quote