Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
question about crawling

My 9 month old dd can crawl, but she just doesnt like to!

Sometimes she will crawl short distances to get a toy, but she doesnt crawl alot or very quickly. If she wants me and I am across the room, she wont crawl to me she will just whine until I come to her

Is this standard? I thought babies were supposed to love their newfound freedom!

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: question about crawling

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The daughter of my church's youth pastor and his wife is a year old and doesn't crawl at all (there's nothing wrong developmentally). She barely furniture walks too so it's just up to each child and when they're ready. The more they are carried around the less they seem to like to explore. My 4yo was like that as a baby because all of her older sibs would tote her around and she refused to walk until she was well over a year old.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Does she us any other modes of transportation. I know some kids who roll where they want to go. I think they say that as long as they learn how to get what they want it really doesn't matter if they crawl. My Dd wasn't much for hands and knees crawling for a long time, she belly crawled like a military person. She even started cruising furniture before she crawled on hands and knees.

Maybe she is just not crawling because she has figured out that if she whines and cries you will come get her. Not that there is anything wrong w/ you tending to her needs, but maybe she has it figured out. Why crawl to mommy if I whine and she will come get me. KWIM. I say as long as she can do it I wouldn't worry, the longer she holds out the less trouble she will get into right. LOL
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
bellsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 9 month DD is the same way so I try to put things in front of her to get her to go on her own. I know she is conditioned to whine so I am trying to understand the difference between her "I really need something cry" and her "I am whining to get your attention cry". She only does it around me so I know that she is not in need of something. But in the end, they decide when and how they will learn to do something. We, as parents, are sometimes just along for the ride. She is fine and when she is ready, she will learn.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

Our whole society is so milestone oriented when it comes to babies that it seems like if your child is not doing something on the day of that estimated milestone, they are labeled delayed and doomed for life. I guess I got a bit caught up in that!

She seems to be doing great generally, and usually I dont worry about her. I try to enjoy her for who she is, so thank you mamas for re enforcing that!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Keira didn't even start crawling until she was 9mos old My FIL is a family doc and reminded me that crawling isn't even one of the developmental milestones.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah mines not crawling yet either and just learned to turn from back to front 2 days ago and he's 8 months today. We think he's the smartest baby ever because he enjoys being a baby and is in no rush for things.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle4381
We think he's the smartest baby ever because he enjoys being a baby and is in no rush for things.
Thats great! Too cute

it just goes to show, all babies do things when they are ready! I get so sick of people asking me though... is she crawling yet? Or when she was smaller, is she rolling yet? Is she talking yet?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
mama23boys
Banned
seller

joe is almost 8months old isnt crawling in fact he just learned to roll this month (7mon) now my best friends ds is 9months (almost 10) and he is crusing furniture and taking steps!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

We are going through the whole milestone thing right now too. My Dd is 14 mo and still not walking on her own. She started cruising furniture when she was 8 mo so we thought she would be an early walker, but she would rather crawl to get where she needs to go if it isn't by the furniture. She will get it eventually and so will your daughter.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote