Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Eczema on the tush?

I avoid drs at all costs if possible. That said, my 4yo has eczema, but has never been officially diagnosed. I looked up pictures and symptoms online and I know that's what this is. He previously had it on the bends of his arms, and I put some cream on it, went away for the most part.
Now, he has a SEVERE rash on his bum, made worse by his scratching. It is red, scaly, and now bleeding. His penis and testicles are also scaling. He is potty trained except he wears a diaper for nighttime. Could that be why it's in this area, and what do I do?
I know there is an abundance of info online about eczema but every website tells me to try something different. Tried and true, what do I do mamas?

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Eczema on the tush?

Shoot! Sorry to hear

Keegan had that until he was out of dipes Not one thing helped, prescriptions either. Just keep it hydrated well. Eczema is an allergy of some sort and what I have understood it's something you eat. Is he eating something new? (I wish I had known this back then but I do now) 2 huge culprits are wheat and milk.

Good luck, poor baby
Old 09-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My littlest had eczema on his back for a while that has since calmed down. My ped told me to put hydrocoritzone (sp?) cream on it and then cover that with a good, heavy-duty lotion.

Good luck!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Pure shea butter works great. For something that you can run to the store and get eucerin or aqufur (not sure I spelled either of those right) work pretty good.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have horrible eczema on hands and feet and use Eucarin on it. The one in the tub, it's thicker than the one in the tube. It's the only thing that helps, I tried a bunch of different prescriptions and they sem to help for a few weeks then start to fail. I also get it in the same area as your Ds. There I use a prescription if it gets really bad, cracked, bleeding and painful, or if I can tell it's going to breakdown (you can feel it) I use plain old vasaline, the doc recommended it only a couple of months ago when I was at my wits end. It works! I don't use hardly any prescription ointment anymore.
As a nurse, I did look after kids with Eczema, many respond well to eliminating dairy, one was loosing his sight due to corneal scarring from the eczema, after a month on goats milk, and cheese, and no cows milk at all, he could see better. the scars were less and he was doing really well.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little guy was having, what I thought, was a bad diaper rash but then it started getting scaley and in one distinct area. I realized after it scaled over that it was eczema (which he's had since he was 6wks old due to a dairy allergy) and I eliminated dairy (except a small amount of cheese IN foods) and it went away! Now we are starting to introduce small amounts of dairy but I know he got a hold of one of my older little guys' sippy cups and was going to town and then I realized it might be milk! LOL I checked and sure enough it was. The next week was when we had a horrible diaper rash and it was really eczema! I used the Eucerin Calming Creme or 1/2% Hydrocortizone lotion on it if its really red. Fortunatly he doesn't scratch it unlike my now 4.5yo who also had it in the bends of his elbows and knees. We tried a few different things with him and nothing helped. We went camping about 5000 ft up in the mountains and it was GONE!! He's had 1 or 2 patches since then but nothing like before. It was amazing! I don't know if that's an option for you but its worth a try! LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I got some Cetaphil, but I guess Eucerin would be better. And vaseline, that's cheap enough. I have the feeling I'm going to be trying several different things to get this cleared up, it's just awful.

We haven't given him any new foods. He's been drinking milk for 3 years, and these eczema outbreaks (he's had them a couple times on the bends of his arms) are fairly new. Could it be a brand new allergy? He drinks more juice and water than he does milk, though, he doesn't really have a lot of dairy. As far as wheat, I don't know how to eliminate wheat, except from bread...?

TwinKristi that camping this is so strange, I wonder how that could happen? Funny!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #8
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: Eczema on the tush?

Kiss My Face pure olive oil soap from the health food section works really good. Also, try putting some extra virgin olive oil in his bath water and letting him soak for a while. Olive oil is wonderful for the skin! If you get the soap, make sure it's just plain olive oil and not the ones with lavender etc...added to it.

Here is one link with some info:
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/oliveoildr-skin.htm

Last edited by Summer; 09-02-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just thought I'd throw in my experience. We have several different types of eucerin (the lotion, the cream, etc etc) and of all the things we have..cetaphil works the best. It isn't 'curing' it...it won't make it go away, but it's keeping it tame and not quite so angry looking.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

Good old Aquaphor always worked the best for us..ds(now 11) had it really bad as a little guy....he is free of it now..

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,Luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote