Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
MommyCRat
Registered Users

My Mood:
American Baby article

I just got another copy of American Baby in the mail today. I was pretty surprised (tho I'm not sure why) to see an article called "Don't Wait to Vaccinate" in it. Have you moms seen this? It wasn't really the article that surprised me, but the content.

It opens with an anecdote from a lady who mentioned to her "mommies group" that she was taking her 2 m/o to get her shots. The lady was "stunned" to hear that 17 out of 20 of them hadn't vax'd. It goes on to list all the required vax's and why they're all important, and all the "myths" against them. It says non-vax'ing parents choose to do so "based on misinformation gleaned from the internet or playground gossip."

I'm still gathering info on which (if any) to do, and I do know that I want to wait at *least* a year for baby to grow up a little before I put anything in him/her. Even still, this article really got under my skin. It very much seems to me like an incredible bias (like the incessant formula mailings I get) and used some condescending and unnecessary phrasings.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: American Baby article

Misinformation huh? Then how come I got my from 2 medical docs and my best friend who's a nurse?

What a crock.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by Five Green Beans; 09-01-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recently started getting this mag, wish they wouldnt send it it is litterd with misinformation. I give it to the kids they cut pics out for there collages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyCRat
. It very much seems to me like an incredible bias (like the incessant formula mailings I get) and used some condescending and unnecessary phrasings.
I used to work with Merck (the make a lot of vacs) I was a rep for synagis (which is for preimees to prevent rsv) I know for a fact they give kick backs to magazines & ANYONE that will promote the need for Vaxs im sure thats why this was published in the first place!

ETA: oh they HATED me there because I kept telling customers that they didnt need them LOL, that was so not the right job for me but the $$ was good but I quit after 6wks because I couldnt sleep at night knowing where my paycheck really came from

Last edited by Five Green Beans; 09-01-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ARGH dang pc again it posted enter button stuck LOL
Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

did you see how many drug ads were in the magazine? Why do you think it's offered "free" for parent's??

I think the good thing is that it will make new parents aware that there is a controversy regarding vaccines. And the 17 out of 20 would be shocking to me if I was a first time mom who blindly vaccinated on schedule. That would make me think.

and misinformation from the internet? My ped said something about that when I took my son in. She was like you can't believe everything you read online. well duh lady! And then she proceeded to leave the room and come back with a list of pro-vax websites for me to look into. funny thing is that all of them were already bookmarked on my compy and some of the information provided in them actually pushed me to do more research and feel confident with my decision not to vaccinate.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
Twnmom1203
Registered Users

As a mom who believes in on time vaxing, that article even make ME irritated.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't get the magazine and didn't read the article. However this is one of my pet peeves about the whole vax debate. I have looked and it's nearly impossible to find unbiased information out there. Either it's put out by the drug companies, and is very pro- vax, or it's online whcih I tend to be skeptical of anyway but is very anti- vax. Frustrating.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #9
Kristapista
Registered Users

I read it too...and while I started vaxing our daughter on time.... her Ped is delaying them! Which I am completely ok with - but you won't find many Ped's that make that choice. My DD had a bad reaction to one of the shots so she's getting them very delayed now.
Kristapista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
2beautifulgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read the article either. I WAS going to blindly vax my first born (now 5yo) and then my midwife asked me if I had done any research on it so I was like, uh, no. I just figured "everyone" does it...i was vaxed. now i am so glad that we have chosen not to vax either of our girls (or the baby on the way) because of the ingredients in the vaxes and also people's kids who I know that have had very bad reactions to vaccines. It scares me to put something so strong inside such a tiny body when you really don't know what it's going to do to them. But I also don't judge people who vax...like i said, i was vaxed too and i'm ok.