Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
goofygirl422
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Hand Foot Mouth Disease

Have you heard of this?

Elizabeth, my two year old, has it and I wanna know all about it. What kinds of things can you do to make them for comfortable? How long does it last? Etc....

Advertisement

goofygirl422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Hand Foot Mouth Disease

My 4yo had it a couple of weeks ago. It lasted over a week, she had lots of blisters in her mouth, high fever and she was miserable. She never broke out with the rest of the rash on her hands and feet though.
We rotated tylenol and motrin to keep her fever down and keep her comfy. Lots of ice pops to eat.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
trishmom2five
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we JUST got rid of this. It went thru 4 of my 5 kids. Phoebe getting it the worst.
I got an RX of lidocaine to dab on sores I could reach, and T3 to help them sleep at night. Other than that we made the 1/2 tsp benedryl 1/2 tsp maalox mix (shake it real well though) to cover the rest and administered it every 2 hours. Now it is ok if they spit the mix out or swallow it, it is meant to be topical.
GL. It gets way worse before it gets better. It took Phoebe 10 days to start healing, and I'd say day 3 was the worst.
I took a pic if you are interested to know what it can look like.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS had it last year. They had me give tylenol or ibuprofen for pain. I gave him cold liquids and popsicles also. The fever lasted about a week, and the blisters can last up to 10 days after the fever is gone. Typically they are healing by that point and no longer painful, though. I was told they are contagious for two days before symptoms show up, and as long as the fever lasts. HTH!!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bram had it about 2 months ago... he only had the blisters in and around his mouth though. He seemed mostly fine until about 5 days later he got a really high fever and stayed up all night. The blisters started clearing up a day or two later.

I caught it from him too but I only got the blisters on my tongue and it ITCHED like CRAZY. It didn't hurt at all (for me) but the itching drove me about insane.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
goofygirl422
Registered Users
seller

Trish, I am interested in pics. Either post them here or PM me.

It is just nice to know that someone else has gone through what we are going through.

Did you doctor say how your children got it???? Just curious!

I guess I need to be prepared for my other child to get it, huh?? Did you or your husband get it?
goofygirl422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Doc only said that it was a virus, that she could've picked it up anywhere. I was shocked that the baby didn't end up with it, DH & I didn't either.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

DS used to get this all time befre we switched DCP. They weren't properly washing the children's hands after diaper changes which is why the dr said DS was probably getting it so much then it stopped when his hand washing got better. Like PP it consisted of high fever, lots of mouth blisters and general yuckiness. We used tylenol/motrin for fever and got a presription of oral lidocain mouthwash for the blisters (made his mouth numb for about 30 min) and used liguid oragel inbetween mouth washes (I have heard the mouth wash called "pink lady" and "magic mouth wash"- got the Rx for that from CAREnow) the mouth wash was the best thing inthe world. DS wouldn't even eat a popsicle his mouth hurt so bad, but the mouth wash made everything better. Hope your LO starts feeling better soon.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
trishmom2five
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither my husband or I got it. And yes you should expect your other DC to probably get it. My other kids were big enough to tell me they got a headache beforehte fever started, and then the fever hit, and then a sore throat, and then the blisters started. No one got it as bad as Phoebe though, thankfully. And my nursing 6 month old avoided it. Thanks goodness for mama milk and antibodies!
I'll pm you the pic. It's very sad.

ETA - The Dr said it could come from just about anywhere. Because it is so contagious and even before you have symptoms it is hard to know where you got it. My guess for us is a Walmart cart. I carry lysol in my van now, and will be spraying down all carts before my kids touch it!

Last edited by trishmom2five; 09-02-2006 at 09:03 AM.
trishmom2five is offline   Reply With Quote