Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Sores inside DS's mouth? (PIC)

Ok, this is a really bad pic, but I tried. It's the best one that came out from like 10 different ones. Really hard to get one that up close.

Any idea what these could be? DS has them all inside on inside of his lips. Everything hurts them...

I would have thought Hand Foot & Mouth but he already had that & his Ped said that wouldn't be causing them on his lips (phone call). Anyway, I'm feeling real bad for him.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/da939dce.jpg

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sores inside DS's mouth? (PIC)

Looks like canker sores. Mine are white in the middle, are his? It looks like it. Some people are very prone to them, especially as kids.

Last edited by aimeemarie; 09-04-2006 at 11:57 AM.
aimeemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

Is he nursing? thrush?? I really don't know other than hand foot mouth, but I haven't ever seen sores from it, my kids have been lucky enough not to get it.
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had a cousin that did this once and it was Fever Blisters AKA Herpes Simplex(i believe) She was just a baby and I remember her mom and dad getting MAD when they said that is what it was but it could be that
Old 09-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Nope not nursing for a while now.

The sorers are sort of whitish/yellowish.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, it might be canker sores. I've had them & various other mouth problems all my life. They can range from very small to VERY large & painful. Is it a flat, red (or white) sore or a raised, fluid-filled bump? Couldn't tell from the picture... Canker sores usually don't turn into a "boil" type of thing, so if that's what it is, it's probably something else.

Assuming it's canker sores: The large ones usually won't go away for a LONG time unless you treat them with something. I've tried a number of OTC medicines, and like Kank-A best. How old is your DS? The bottle says it's OK for children over 2. You can also try holding a damp tea bag (regular, black tea) to the sore for temporary relief in the meantime. The tannic acid in tea is actually one of the main ingredients in most mouth sore medications.

Also, sometimes I get bumps in my mouth that I assume are just clogged salivary glands or something. They're mildly painful, but nothing compared to canker sores. For those, I've actually found that popping them gets rid of them fast! Just FYI...
mom2fussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

They are raised & full of fluid. They are whitish/yellowish in the middle & very pink/red/irritated looking around them. He has a couple that seem to have popped or started to go away but they turn flatish & red/rough looking.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has he been exposed to chicken pox lately? That's what Evan's mouth looked like too. He came home from school early one day cause his throat hurt and this is what I found:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Y/000_1310.jpg
Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
trishmom2five
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are 2 different strains of HFM...it could be the second one. With that many, that's what I would expect. plus it does get on the lips. I'll pm you the pic of Phoebe with it just a few weeks ago. The pic shows her at her worse with it on the outside of her mouth. Our pedi said it was classic. The same sores were in her mouth too.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama
Has he been exposed to chicken pox lately? That's what Evan's mouth looked like too. He came home from school early one day cause his throat hurt and this is what I found:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Y/000_1310.jpg
I can't say that he has been for sure but I can't say he hasn't been either. After all, he is in preschool.

How long would it take to see chickenpox on his body though? He hasn't been in school since Monday of last week & that was the only time last week since I couldn't drive him b/c of my surgery.