Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Barnacle baby help

Does this sound like your 18 month old?

1) Nurses to sleep every single time
2) Must be held during naps
3) Mom must sleep next toddler at night
4) Mom can only leave bedroom at night for a few minutes before child freaks out (30min tops)
5) Grandma and Dada cannot put baby to sleep... Not once!
6) Child falls asleep in car and stroller without boob
7) Naps require boob in mouth the entire time
8) Wakes to eat every 1-2 hours after midnight

Sound like your toddler??

If so... Were you able to ever get LO to nap on her own? Or stop nursing to sleep?

Please only folks with barnacle babies ... If your baby isn't one congrats!!

TIA

Advertisement

mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Barnacle baby help

Sounds pretty normal to me, assuming you've ruled out health issues, wet diapers, etc.

Mine grew out of it, after awhile, though my youngest is still high needs but just in a different way.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's how my 15 month old was until I night weaned him. It only took one night. Dh and I went on a date, the in-laws watched the kids, played hard, and then put him to bed. And he slept all night long!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This sounds like DS1 except he was bottle fed (except EP BM x 6 months, FF x 6 months, then cows milk). I didn't take the bottle away until about 16 months (long story). He was waking up a lot at night for the bottle just like your child is to nurse. I did the method of putting him in his crib and sitting next to him then moving further away each night. It was painful but I had to get him out of our bed because DH was sleeping on the couch. Co-sleeping wasn't healthy for our marriage and it was encouraging DS1 to wake up all through the night for the bottle. It seems like DS1 started napping in his bed (big boy bed) around age 2. But I had to lay with him until he went to sleep then I snuck out. Also when we moved him to his big bed I laid with him at night until he went to sleep until the age of 3.5-4 years old. He had to play with my hair to go to sleep.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Barnacle baby help

Thx ladies!

Mostly it's the napping that's killing me. I need to be able to put her down after she falls asleep... So I can do stuff! Any tips on how to start this with my barnacle?

Bed sharing isn't terrible except I miss my husband and there is now talk of making baby #2 this fall... But omg. DD1 needs to sleep on her own at that point. I was so exhausted in my first trimester!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

All 3 of mine were or are that way. Even after weaning. My youngest is now 4 years old. He weaned about 4 months ago. 2 days ago I lay down with him to nap. I was on my husband's side of the bed so of course not on my side. He, our son, typically sleeps in the middle. He woke before me and didn't see me on my side of the bed. He bolted out of bed like he was on fire immediately crying for me

He is getting better though. Now when he goes to sleep I can get up again for an hour and sometimes even 2 hours before he comes looking for me.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Sounds similar to my 18m old! Most naps I stay bc of what you described. But often I TRY to sneak away. Inching away like a crazy woman. But I don't get anything accomplished bc im scared any noise will wake him. I think I've read every sleep book under the sun. I like some parts from: Sage parenting sleep, No Cry Sleep Solution & the No Cry for toddlers as well as the Sweet Sleep and Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I'm taking facts/info from those sources and using what may work for us. What I am currently doing is offering a cup of water as a substitute at night wakings but if he freaks out I nurse. Two times in the last 48 hours he did NOT freak out. PM me if you want to go through this journey together, lol. One thing that really bothers DS is a wet diaper so despite my wool/fitteds- I change very often at night.
DreamInGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
karikos
Registered Users
seller

I have a friend whose DD is like this so you're not alone. DS used to be but has gradually gotten better. There's hope!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
MaRoul
Registered Users

My daughter is almost two now and finally mostly out of our bed. It was a very slow weaning process. I started by just not having my arm around her at night. It was hard at first but then she got used to just being next to me. Then I adjusted to being a little farther away from her after she fell asleep (it helps that we have a king size bed). After that, I moved down to the twin mattress on the floor with her. I just sucked it up and slept down there with her for a few weeks, but not holding her, and staying as much to my "side" as possible. Then once she was used to that I started going back to my bed halfway through the night but coming down to her if she woke up and asked for me. She started waking less frequently and we got to a point where I can now lay down with her till she falls asleep, then get up and leave. She will wake up once or twice during the night and sometimes doesn't even need me to come down to her (this isn't always but maybe 30% of the time). She does tend to wake up in the early morning hours and take longer to fall asleep. If I have to get up for work, I will pull her in bed with us, and daddy has started holding her, together with me, during those times. Once she falls asleep I can leave and she sleeps with him. Otherwise, if its a weekend, I will get her back to sleep in her bed. We aren't 100% there yet, but every week she is a little more independent.
MaRoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is great to hear! I haven been trying to inch away... But now she is teething and wants to nurse nonstop. Argh!