Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #1
cjdetweiler
Registered Users
seller

Boosting milk supply

Has anyone used fenugreek to boost milk supply successfully? Also, I have been trying to boost my supply with oats. It seems to be working a little but I'm curious as to how much i should be eating in a day to see results. I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast the past few weeks but maybe I should be eating more throughout yet day? Any tips or advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance

Advertisement

cjdetweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Re: Boosting milk supply

I'm not sure about the oatmeal, but I do know that the tea people recommend worked for me!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

dp

Last edited by mamaberkhie; 05-09-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: dp
mamaberkhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
my2littlemen
Registered Users

I had good luck with Mother's Milk supplements but I had to double the dose. It wasn't a huge increase (more like 1-2 ounces) but it was something. Also, make sure you're drinking a ton of water.
my2littlemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
my2littlemen
Registered Users

Also, how old is your LO? I found that early on, if I didn't nurse every 3 hours at least, my supply dipped. Most LOs at that age want to nurse more frequently than that so it's usually not an issue, but that isn't always the case.

After three months I went back to work and have been pretty religious about pumping every 3 hours, even if DS doesn't nurse that often at home.
my2littlemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
cjdetweiler
Registered Users
seller

He's is 7 weeks old. He was born 4 weeks 4 days early and had issues with feeding from the beginning. Supplementing was recommended early on to help with high bili levels. He is currently about 12lbs! He eats what he can from me and then takes a 5 oz bottle of formula every 2-2.5 hours. I've tried skipping the formula and just bf on demand but he gets so upset and hungry that I cave and give him a bottle 😞
cjdetweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
bbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It has to be old fashioned oatmeal, not instant. I also used fenugreek and that works pretty well. You will start to smell like maple syrup though. I didnt mind the smell hahaha. Good luck! Could also try doing power pumping. I think thats what it was called. You could google it.
bbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you pumping? If not, you should. I'm no expert but I would BF first then feed formula if he's not satisfied then pump. When you get enough BM pumped then give BM bottle instead of formula.

I've heard this site has good products to increase milk supply but I haven't personally tried it. http://shop.euphoricherbals.com
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure if you meant you were feeding every 2-2.5 hours, or adding supplemental formula every 2-2.5 hours. If it's the first, I'd suggest feeding more often. Even my 11 month old usually is nursing more often than that, and at 7 weeks I was still pretty much chained to the couch (nursing station) all day long. DH would "buy" me 5 minutes per hour to bathroom and eat two-handed items by changing baby's diaper.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've also read about essential oils "Fennel" and "Basil" helping increase supply. I don't know more about it so research it. But I do know that NOT all EO are created equal or even close for that fact. I use Young Living brand but I also would use DoTerra brand.