Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #81
bemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Extended breastfeeding and the benefits

YAY!
Just what I wanted to read right now! I'm just starting to feel the negativity from the outside world toward my breastfeeding my (only 14month old.)

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #82
Hayden555
Registered Users

the number of women who breastfeed their children beyond 12 months is: 99% in Nepal, 98% in Malawi, 97% in Zambia, 96% in Ghana, go to this UNICEF site for more worldwide breastfeeding statistics.
Hayden555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #83
camila's_momma
Registered Users

im glad i found this! i am new to this site & its a little confusing to me...
anyways i just wanted to say i am planning on letting my DD self wean, & SO is very supportive of that. he is from mexico, & there it is normal to breastfeed a toddler. he himself was not breastfed, but his sister was untill she was 5. he is supportive of me breastfeeding, but he wants me to suppliment with formula when we go to the store, or anywhere in public... how can i get him to be more supportive of me not wanting to use any formula?????/
camila's_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #84
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very glad to see this! My oldest daughter nursed till she was over 3 years old- I really didn't get many questions about it after she turned 2, because by then she just nursed before naps/bed. I think everyone thought she had already been weaned ages ago! I nursed my adopted son 20 months and still have a happy, contented nursing 14 mo old! I have experienced many of the benefits listed- and I encourage you moms to nurse your babies as long as you mutually desire it!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #85
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only breastfed until 16 months. I think it is good for emotional attachment reasons after two, rather than physical health. My daughter has not been sick since she stopped nursing and she is two now. It could be that breastfed babies who are nursed for extended times have moms that stay at home with them and the chances of illness is reduced dramatically then babies/toddlers put in day care.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #86
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

La Leche League International has research available to their leaders that talks about the immune benefits to extended breastfeeding. It is interesting that it states that the amount of immune boosters in human milk actually dramatically increases as the number of times a day a baby or toddler nurses decreases... so when a baby nurses say 3 times a day, they get more immune benefits per nursing session than they do when nursing more than that number of times! So, although breastfeeding does have many emotional benefits to the nursing toddler, there are also tremendous health benefits that continue as well. Human milk is a living fluid that gives many benefits to babies and toddlers. It also has health benefits to the mother as well. Her likelihood of developing certain types of cancers decreases proportionately to the length of time she breastfeeds (collectively). Good all around
~Karen, La Leche League Leader in NC
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #87
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD basically weaned herself at 13 months old and I was so sad. I really hope with #2 that we can make it to at least 18 months if not to 2 years old.
nursekatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #88
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camila's_momma View Post
im glad i found this! i am new to this site & its a little confusing to me...
anyways i just wanted to say i am planning on letting my DD self wean, & SO is very supportive of that. he is from mexico, & there it is normal to breastfeed a toddler. he himself was not breastfed, but his sister was untill she was 5. he is supportive of me breastfeeding, but he wants me to suppliment with formula when we go to the store, or anywhere in public... how can i get him to be more supportive of me not wanting to use any formula?????/
maybe he feels embarrassed? you can reassure him that you can take her to a corner, the car, or fitting room when available...i have always found a place to nurse my 16 month old discreetly. all my friends and family are supportive of nursing so long. i want to continue til she is 2...
the part about allergies...i dont get it...dd is allergic to everything despite never being forula fed! anyhow, it has helped me lose a TON of weight and that is reason alone for me to continue! lol.
oh..and one negative, it has reaked havoc on my back! i nurse at night still, and it is affecting my sleep and my back is bad because of it. i think once i wean her, it will get better.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #89
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've proved it. My DS BFing 2x longer than my DD (almost 2 yr). During its growth He rarely sick, more intelligent, more active and emotionally he's closer to me than his sister
zavalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #90
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love this! I had every intention of weaning at my daughter's first birthday until I read 'Mothering your nursing toddler' by Bumgarner (highly recommend). My baby girl is almost 8 months now and I can't imagine weaning her anytime soon. I love nursing her and so does she. I'm semi-concerned about the negative responses I know we will get after she turns 1, but I don't care! The benefits for me and my baby are worth it.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote