Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Monsters under the bed?

Out of nowhere my son has become terrified of "mmmooonsters!!" under his bed. It's getting bad. For nap time we compromised by me sittin gnext to the bed reading whiel he slept-- with all his toy dinosaurs lined up around it to protect him.

Any suggestions to help ease this fear? He'll wake at night and be scared, is afraid to play by himself (as they'er also in the front closet and bedroom closet)-- it's a genuine terror, he'll shake and go white!

No television shows I can think of or movies he might have seen and been scared by (his TV is limited!).

Advertisement

MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
tatertots
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Monsters under the bed?

Soo sorry, I know this can be pretty hard sometimes.
My son went through the same thing. The only thing that really helped him was a night light. Well really I got him a small fishtank that has a light on it and put that on his dresser. That helped him and then I said the fish would scare all the monsters away! Sounds weird and silly but it really did work for him.
Before that I used to get a flash light and put it under his bed when he was going to bed and I said that the light would keep them away. HTH
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your son is two and afraid of monsters? That seems really early. Does he go to daycare/preschool? Did he learn this from big sister?

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ignore the big sister thing - LOL. my mistake.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

NO daycare or sitter but...... he spent an evening with Grandma and Grandpa and I know they watched a movie. I think it was either Lion King or Monsters, Inc. Cute but I could see how the later could aid the fear.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You need to get yourself some monster repellant, monster killer (whatever your confortable calling it). I am not sure it will be a perfect solution for a younger child but it has worked with a 4 year old that I used to be a nanny for.
Monster repelant consist of a spray bottle filled with plain water. Now if you are creative or know somebody that is talented have them draw a picture of a dead monster on the front of the bottle or create your own monster repellant label. Fill the spray bottle up with tap water, package it up like it was coming in the mail and either you or DH stick it in the mailbox all without your child seeing you do this. Casually mention to the child that you heard about this Monster Repelant and it destroys monsters if it touches them and they are afraid to come into a room that has been sprayed with the stuff.
Make a big deal of getting it in the mail and before nap time you and the child spray it around the room paying special attention to under the bed and in the closets. Let him spray a little if you think he is capable. You don't need a lot of course just a little mist should do the trick. The best part is that when you start to run low you can just refill it from the tap. Hopefully, this idea will work for you.

Kimmyann
Old 09-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We had "monster repellent" for my brother when we were little. We also used the broom before going to sleep to "sweep the monsters out".. GL!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'd say he's a little young to just create that idea all by himself. Who knows though, it's possible.

I think the monster spray is a great idea. That is what we used with my little brother as well.

Sounds like he is a sensitive little guy. I'd avoid any more movies that he could deem scary for a little bit.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
orangemnms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS has a window cling thingee of Spiderman that helps keep the monsters away, LOL. He chose it and he decided on his own that that is what Spiderman was there for. He's 5 though, and I'm sure picked up "monsters" from someone at school.
orangemnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think everyone had some great ideas - but I'm loving the monster repellant. I'm not dealing with this problem, but I hope he feels better (safe, relaxed, whatever) soon.