Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ammonia smell?

Okay I have never had this happen before, but this morning when I went to get ds out of bed there was a terrible ammonia smell. I'm talking take-your-breath-away bad! Is this normal with nighttime diapers? Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I used a Sugar Peas fitted with snap-in soaker and a doubler...all with my new wool shorties. Now I feel like I have to wash my shorties because of the smell. Do I? Please help! I haven't had this problem with pockets or any other combo I've tried. Did I do something wrong?

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Ammonia smell?

OH man, this happened to me for the first time a week or so ago. I had never smelled anything like it, it was exactly like ammonia!!! I found that what helps a lot is to do a cold soak with some Dawn. If you wash in hot immediately, it might keep the smell in.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
OH man, this happened to me for the first time a week or so ago. I had never smelled anything like it, it was exactly like ammonia!!! I found that what helps a lot is to do a cold soak with some Dawn. If you wash in hot immediately, it might keep the smell in.
I always do an overnight cold soak with sensi-clean and then run the entire cycle. THen I do the hot wash/cold rinse with an extra rinse. I have used these dipes several times and have never ever had this happen.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get that smell with any night time dipe. A tiny bit of bleach has worked best, but I can't use it for all our colored dipes. You could have build up, or, if you only use Sensi-Clean, it could be your fitteds aren't getting 100% clean. I didn't have very good luck with Sensi Clean. Try do a hot wash, no detergent and just enough water to cover. See if you have any bubbles.

I've heard some say TTO (tea tree oil) works good.

If you air the wool it should be fine.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have some Allen's Naturally too.....maybe I will try that next time. I always use the detergent in the cold soak/wash/rinse and then I just started throwing a couple Dixie Drops in the hot wash/cold rinse/cold rinse. It says it will help with some residue....maybe that will be enough. I have already had to strip my dipes once and we've only been CDing since February! I really don't want to have to do that again because it doesn't take but a day or two for Harley to get a rash from sposies.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
rlharp5375
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your presoak. It neutralizes the acidity levels in your diapers. It is a natural odor and stain fighter and will help keep your diapers nice, white, and fresh smelling. -Hyena article

I use it and it works for me.
Rachel
Old 05-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Clothfan
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice. We went to visit my parents for a week and a half and I got some really bad staining and funky ammonia smell from washing our Happy Heinys at their house.

Does the 1/2 cup of baking soda work for front loading washers?

As for the stains, is sunning them out my only option? I get so sad every time I look at them....
Clothfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dunno if what I'm doing is wrong, but it's working....

I do a cold soak/cold rinse with baking soda and then a hot wash with sportwash (sensi-clean?) and it worked wonderfully...i was amazed.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

We've been battling terrible ammonia smells. So bad that I actually switched to disposables for a couple of weeks. At first it was just the nighttime diaper, then it was all of them. I stripped all our diapers. It took me 3 freakin' days. It's still not 100% fixed, but it's better. I'm going to try Sportwash and then maybe baking soda. Then maybe bleach. I don't know.

Oh, ever since I stripped, I've been adding a squirt of Dawn to each wash. I'm not sure if it's helping, as I still get somewhat of a lingering odor sometimes, but it is better than before.