Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
thirds a charm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Relactating? Anyone succesfully do it?

have a 4month old baby and I stopped nursing her at 5 weeks due to a TERRIBLE yeast infection in my breast tissue. The pain was so unbareable I stopped. I have not pumped/nursed in 3 months. Since then, she developed acid reflux - very badly - has been hospitalized and so they switched her to soy formula. I am not a fan of soy and its either that or BM. I am pumping now, every 2 - 3 hours or 8 x's a day. I started Yesterday morning and only have drops that come out......my sister is bringing me some donperidone tomorrow (she is flying in from outside the states) - is this going to work? Also, I have tried and tried to offer DD since last week - my breast and she is not having it - she cries and cries until she gets a bottle. I even tried with an SNS and she is just not having the breast. Am I wasting my time? Has anyone been able to relactate after 3 months? I am so desperate for her not to be on soy that one of my friends has offered to give me some of her expressed milk until mine comes in - but is it even a possibility????? Any comments or sharing of experiences or any advise as to how to get DD on the breast would be greatly appreciated.....

Advertisement

thirds a charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
noquidion
Registered Users

Re: Relactating? Anyone succesfully do it?

I wonder if she would be more apt to try BFing if you used a nipple shield? I wouldn't recommend using it any longer than you have to, but maybe she will latch with something more similar to a bottle nipple? Good luck!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

keep pumping, a few drops is better than nothing at all! How long do you pump? There is a mama on here that pumped for her daughter that she jut adopted.

Try feeding her until she's not so hungry and then switch her over the breast, esp at night when she's sleepy. Also, call you local LLL, someone can come to your house scuse my typing, I have help
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sblakely on here did it and I know she wouldn't mind you pm'ing her. I think she told me about a two week relactating "boot camp" program.
eta:I would definitely take your friends milk if she offered it!

Last edited by saongiri; 05-01-2008 at 11:52 AM.
saongiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp take the milk!! Also I think lll and kellymom.com have excellent advice when it comes to this. SS this happened to you and your dd!! I think it's awesome you are working so hard at it!!!! You are my hero!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it at 3 mos and got my son back to breast at 3.5mos. I still was making 2-4oz/day when I started trying again. I took the dom, and I increased from 2-4oz to 12oz/d within 10days. I eventually got up to upward of 20oz/d and got my son back to my breast. We are still going strong at 14mos and I'm still pumping and taking domperidone (smaller dose now). You CAN do this!!!!!
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
thirds a charm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the words mama - I am still trying and just getting some drops to form at the bottom of the bottle.....its so hard to keep going - I tried getting her to breast last night and she did not pitch a fit but did not latch on .... I am trying. I am on day 1 of taking don and hope that will help. Thanks Sangirl for letting me know of the other mama that did it.... I definately think I will try.
I also tried with the nipple shield and a SNS so there was milk - but she was not having it....maybe if I can catch her for her 3am bottle. I will try that tonight

Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep going. It only takes once and it's good from there. I just waited until his afternoon naptime, he was not hungry and I swaddled him tightly and we rocked and I offered him the breast. He took it then b/c it was comfort and he used me like the paci, but in the process he got milk. It just clicked after that.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
thirds a charm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I will try tonight - she is resting on my lap right now so I may try in a few then...after I pump

Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saongiri View Post
sblakely on here did it and I know she wouldn't mind you pm'ing her. I think she told me about a two week relactating "boot camp" program.
eta:I would definitely take your friends milk if she offered it!
Thanks Sarah!! I Pm'd you mama