Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Baby not sleeping - DH wants to wean? vent and frustrated... and sleep deprived.

Izzy had 2 glorious months where she mostly slept through the night. But, around the time she turned 1, she regressed to waking up to nurse a few times so we went back to cosleeping. Now - she's waking up every hour SCREAMING and nursing her doesn't always get her back to sleep or to stop screaming. This has been going on for about a month or so. Giving her tylenol/advil, orajel, etc. doesn't seem to matter either.

The past few days, DH has been getting up a few times to help but he's at the end of his rope too. He thinks the cure would be to wean her. I don't get his reasoning AT ALL. Especially since she refuses to drink anything else besides water. But, this is the same guy who also passes her to me anytime she's fussy so that I can nurse her and make her happy again. Mixed messages anyone???

I guess I really just needed to vent and hear from other Mamas that she may eventually sleep for longer than one hour in a row. I'm hoping this is just a horrible (and quick) phase but I really miss the nights where just shoving a boob in her mouth would settle her and get us both back to sleep.

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby not sleeping - DH wants to wean? vent and frustrated... and sleep deprived.

Its a phase, you'd be rocking her or carrying her around for longer if she wasn't nursing. She'd be waking regardless.

Maddie went through this and it took me a couple of minutes to nurse her back down and that was it.

My stepsister's daughter went through this and she was not BFing....at the same age....and it took her forever to get her back down to bed.

As my grandmother always said to me.....this too shall pass.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Sweetpotatoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby not sleeping - DH wants to wean? vent and frustrated... and sleep deprived.

It will pass. Everything does eventually. Just when you can truelly not take another minute it will pass. I know that doesn't make you feel much better now.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's probably just a phase too, and she would be awake, nursing or not....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
aimeejf
Registered Users
seller

We went through something similar around a year - it was teething, I'm pretty sure, but like you said nothing really seemed to help. It did pass. Now my guy is 18 months old and has just started sleeping through the night. He wakes occasionally - maybe once a night once or twice a week - but he's on his way. I can't tell you how much better rested I feel! It will happen - just be patient and feel confident in your decision that weaning won't fix the problem.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I could help! My son at 2 months old started sleeping through the night for about 3 weeks then started getting up again ever 2 hours to eat. I don't get how little one work yet. I think sometimes they just like keeping us on our toes. Like today is my birthday and my son for the first time thinks 4:30 in the morning is a great time to be up for the day!
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think weaning is the answer but night weaning might be. Kellymom has some informationabout night weaning, it might be something worth looking at.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses Ladies. Knowing that others went through this stage makes me feel a little better.

Though knowing when it ends would help too - wouldn't it be great if Izzy just gave me a little card that told me what day this would be over and she'd go back to being a sleep champ? I think having a finish line in sight would ease my stress a little.

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd was not a good sleeper pretty much at all until the past 6 weeks...she's almost 22 months old. Yes, she did start sleeping better once she was weaned (she's been weaned for about 6 weeks too) BUT...she was also done with the majority of her painful teething by then too. Nursing was a LIFESAVER for me...because plenty of times (past age 12 months) it was the ONLY thing that would get her comfy enough to sleep again...but it didn't always work either....Just keep in mind that weaning her is not a guarantee that she will start sleeping better...and it could possibly get worse if you do wean her...because you won't have that as an option any longer. Anyway...sorry that you're not getting sleep...I can totally relate, and it is hard, and stressful and overwhelming at times...especially when it interrupts DH's sleep too. But hang in there! This time will pass, and she will sleep through the night when she is ready...some babies just take longer.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's a phase and it will pass! And then, a new phase will be before you!

Dd2 was EBF and slept through the night at 6 weeks. She is now 2 and has only woken up a handful of times since then. Yep, seriously.

Dd3 is EBF and slept through the night around 4 months for about 3 weeks. She is *almost* 8 months and wakes up about 2-3 times a night.

All babies are different and have different things going on. Unfortuantely communication at this age is hard and they can't tell you what is bothering them. Keep doing what you're doing and being there for her to offer as much love and support as you can.

Obviously dd2 is a sleep champ and should be entered in the world series of sleep!