Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think it's time.......Need some advice about how to wean 34mo old

I think I'm ready to wean DS. I've been pondering with this for a long time at some points beyond so ready but gave it some time since DS was clearly not, and I would get back to a place of being ok with it. Well I'm ready but really need for it to be gentle. He only nurses at nap, night and morning. We've talked about when he is three he wont nurse anymore and he agrees with that and says "yeah I won't when I'm three". Which I think will be great but if I even try to get him to sleep with out it he freaks. So I'm afraid he wont really want to in 2 months. What are some options for me, should I just keep with the 3 thing and see how it goes? How can I as gently as possable get things moving? Do you think if he has such strong feelings it is wrong for me to wean? I had wanted to CLW but really am ready, I could go longer if he really needs it but I'd prefer to start the process. Any advice on this????

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
SophT
Registered Users
seller

Re: I think it's time.......Need some advice about how to wean 34mo old

I weaned my daughter on her third birthday. I had been tandem nursing for a year and couldn't take it any more. I felt like her demanding that of me all the time was deteriorating our relationship. So I told her that I don't nurse a three year old, and I built up to it for a couple of months. We made her third birthday party also a "big girl party" and celebrated her being done nursing. She held on to the end, nursing till the stroke of midnight on the night before her birthday. But she accepted that she was done, although she was a little sad about it, and still wanted to nurse for at least 6 months, she no longer demanded or even asked for it. It was a little sad for me also, because I really wanted her to quit on her own, but I knew it was time and I don't regret doing it. Now I'm still nursing like crazy the 2 and a half year old with no end in sight ...
SophT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Andrew is 25 months and I don't think it's going to be easy to wean him either.. We are down to bedtime only feedings, but he takes full advantage of it and will nurse 2-4 times throughout the night. Last night he only woke ONE TIME.. so I am hopeful this is a sign he is going to self wean soon... I'm ready for my af to return too, no sign in sight..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know how you feel. I've been tandem nursing for 2 years. My 2 year old is nursing strong, but my 3.5 year old nurses sporadically. It's been a 6 month process of redirecting. We got down to just morning only nursing and no longer in bed. If she asked to nurse at midday, I would say 'we only nurse first thing in the morning'. She was usually OK with that but when she got upset I would try to talk to her about it. Starting nursery school helped b/c we were usually too busy in the mornings.
It's been about 3-4 weeks (I can't really remember) when she last nursed. She still asks, but I am able to distract her successfully. She'll let me know if she really needs it one more time. I'm OK with that if nothing else works.
It's tough when she sees her sister nursing when ever she wants. I feel bad about that.

My friend had a weaning party for her DD. They talked about it for a long time beforehand, marked it on the calendar, invited friends over and had a cake. It worked like a charm.

Good luck
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Wow.. you ladies going until 3 yrs old.. I hate this but one of the reasons I'm ready to wean is a catch a lot of flack about it. People treat me as if I'm really disturbed for nursing my 2 yr old, even though it's just at bedtime. I'm sure nursing a 3 yr old, you get your fair share of unwanted remarks... how do you cope with it? Even my drs are being pushy.. my family dr laughed because I'm still nursing and quipped I need to just 'stop'.. as if it's that easy? I love my family dr otherwise, I just feel she's pretty ignorant on the nursing relationship.. not to mention the benefits involved.
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Alabamamom* View Post
Wow.. you ladies going until 3 yrs old.. I hate this but one of the reasons I'm ready to wean is a catch a lot of flack about it. People treat me as if I'm really disturbed for nursing my 2 yr old, even though it's just at bedtime. I'm sure nursing a 3 yr old, you get your fair share of unwanted remarks... how do you cope with it? Even my drs are being pushy.. my family dr laughed because I'm still nursing and quipped I need to just 'stop'.. as if it's that easy? I love my family dr otherwise, I just feel she's pretty ignorant on the nursing relationship.. not to mention the benefits involved.

It can be tough. Mostly everyone I know hasn't given me flack but you can see it in their eyes, like OMG your STILL nursing. I've even found myself telling them that we're weaning and then feeling bad like I shouldn't care what they think, what's most important is DSs emotional state. The funny thing is I'm still nursing because he needs it, it has little to do with me. Not that I don't love holding him and giving him this closeness I do, it's just that people think it's the moms sick attachment and it truly is whats best for the babe kwim. Just remember our babes will have very healthy attachments and realationships thru out their lives because they were given this.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Truthfully I dont know about weaing (nor do I care too) since we Child Led Wean but my DS weaned at 3.5yrs old on his own. To PP, after awhile I found that people stop asking....I always said well the benefits NEVER stop no matter what age they are, after awhile people got it. Plus I could care less what people think because I know what is best

My 2.5yr old still nurses (personally I cant see a child under 2yrs not nursing)...like a newborn so I see her nursing well past 3yrs!

Anyway, Hugs and Good Luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First, good job on nursing so long! Second, I have heard of people having 'bye bye booby' parties (obviously they change the name haha!) But basically they tell their kiddos that if they go X amount of time without nursing then they get a party (like a birthday party with cake etc)
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to start weaning my almost 1 year old....
MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLynn View Post
First, good job on nursing so long! Second, I have heard of people having 'bye bye booby' parties (obviously they change the name haha!) But basically they tell their kiddos that if they go X amount of time without nursing then they get a party (like a birthday party with cake etc)
I think this is a great idea!