Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
xxMommato2xx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What termonology do you use with DS/DD??

I am very open with my kids about telling them what their body parts are called and what they do and really always have been. I refered to my 2 year old DS's penis as "penis" til my DH decided that it was weird for him to say that to his son so he calls it "weenie". So DS of course thinks its funny so now he refers to his penis as a weenie. Which I dont have a problem with really, but it just seems wierd. My 6 year old daughter knows that boys are different and a boy has a penis and girls do not, but she too now calls it a weenie since DH changed over to his improvized termonology.

I was curious as to what you all refer to your childrens "parts" as. and what other EC and potty learning words do you use.

When we ask him it he needs to use the restroom we ask him if he needs to go potty in the toilet or go poop. I dunno. I guess its pretty typical. just curious what you all else say.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
z'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What termonology do you use with DS/DD??

We say "do you have to go potty?" Then say "you need to ssss in the potty" or "go bingo in the potty." Yes, bingo. When he was a baby, we liked the feeling of having our boy go in the toilet that Bingo was just appropriate.

That's what those names are. As for body parts, not there yet. (6 mo. old ds) Will probably do anatomically correct names...till he gets other names at school.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
xxMommato2xx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z'smomma View Post
...As for body parts, not there yet. (6 mo. old ds) Will probably do anatomically correct names...till he gets other names at school.

I tried anotomically correct names. DH wasnt down with it... and I didnt want him feeling odd KWIM so I just went with the flow. I still call it his penis, and will for the most part when washing and such, but for potty time its a weenie apparently. LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
christianethansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've got boys here, so DH is fine with us using "penis". The kids are trilingual (English, Chinese and Taiwanese) and when I speak Chinese to the DS1, I say "Do you have to go pee pee?" "Do you need to go poo poo?" When DH speaks to him in Taiwanese, he also says the same thing and we both refer to his privates the same. And when we're out or at the ILs, we speak english and we say the exact same. We don't use any other words. BUT... DH said when we start teaching them girl parts, he said he doesn't want them to know "vagina". He wants to think of another word for that. I guess DH is a little old school with this one.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Phaedra70
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have always used the anatomically correct words until my son came home from a friends house and wanted to know what a ding-a-ling was. I then explained that lots of people are not as comfortable with the word penis so they make up silly words like weiner, noodle, etc. He laughed and said, "yeah his mom thinks a fart is a fluffy." Gotta love the kiddos!

Mommy to Van (7/1/00) Olivia (3/31/03) and Phoebe (6/13/06) Wife to John-John

Miss my babies and wish I had all 3!
Phaedra70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
xxMommato2xx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra70 View Post
We have always used the anatomically correct words until my son came home from a friends house and wanted to know what a ding-a-ling was. I then explained that lots of people are not as comfortable with the word penis so they make up silly words like weiner, noodle, etc. He laughed and said, "yeah his mom thinks a fart is a fluffy." Gotta love the kiddos!
ding-a-ling.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

Penis, vulva, bottom, anus, pee-pee, poo.

My kids don't know scrotum/testicles yet, or clitoris, but DD#1 knows that the part of the vulva that the baby comes out of is the vagina, but dd#2 doesn't know the word vagina yet at 2.5, despite "vulva" being the 10th word she ever said (the EC'ed child of a doula... whaddaya gonna do?). I'm sure she'll learn that babies come out of the vagina given that I'm 4.5 months pregnant and she'll be present at the birth.

I highly encourage those who are using anatomical terms to use vulva instead of vagina, because really kids don't have a clue where their vagina is, and what they are referring to when they talk about their private parts is the whole thing, which is technically a vulva. (I was a pretty well informed child but I thought my vagina was my urethra my whole childhood... I just only saw one hole so I figured that's where my pee came out and that I'd grow a vagina when I needed to have a baby, just like I'd grow breasts too. )

Speaking of which, IS there a word that includes penis, testicles and scrotum altogether for men? I feel odd making sure I use the word to describe the whole thing for girls, but not for boys, since I'm sure my girls are aware there's more there than just the penis but thinking that the penis is the whole "package". And I am NOT going to call it a "package" to my girls.

Oh, I should say there is ONE word we use in the household that is not proper terminology. Tuchis. My kids' butts are so dang cute, that in addition to the word bottom we also use the word tuchis.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post

I highly encourage those who are using anatomical terms to use vulva instead of vagina, because really kids don't have a clue where their vagina is, and what they are referring to when they talk about their private parts is the whole thing, which is technically a vulva. (I was a pretty well informed child but I thought my vagina was my urethra my whole childhood... I just only saw one hole so I figured that's where my pee came out and that I'd grow a vagina when I needed to have a baby, just like I'd grow breasts too. )
Megan
Thanks Megan ... This is a great help.

My DD is 4 and we use Penis, testicles, vagina, bottom, pee, poo and we will be adding vulva (as we were using girl parts/privet parts)
Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
blacktuesdays
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my ds calls his penis a penis and my dd calls her vagina a vagina they are both 3 and boht know that girls and boys have different parts, they both refer to penis as such and same for vaginas i feel weird calling the weenies and whatnots lol.
blacktuesdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
audreyh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: What termonology do you use with DS/DD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post

My kids don't know scrotum/testicles yet, or clitoris, but DD#1 knows that the part of the vulva that the baby comes out of is the vagina, but dd#2 doesn't know the word vagina yet at 2.5, despite "vulva" being the 10th word she ever said (the EC'ed child of a doula... whaddaya gonna do?). I'm sure she'll learn that babies come out of the vagina given that I'm 4.5 months pregnant and she'll be present at the birth.

Speaking of which, IS there a word that includes penis, testicles and scrotum altogether for men? I feel odd making sure I use the word to describe the whole thing for girls, but not for boys, since I'm sure my girls are aware there's more there than just the penis but thinking that the penis is the whole "package". And I am NOT going to call it a "package" to my girls.

Oh, I should say there is ONE word we use in the household that is not proper terminology. Tuchis. My kids' butts are so dang cute, that in addition to the word bottom we also use the word tuchis.

Megan

I agree, Megan! Thank you for encouraging parents to be clear with their daughters by calling their genitals "vulva" not "vagina"! We wouldn't confuse our boys by calling their penis a "urethra". Why confuse the girls by calling their vulva a "vagina"?
I understand about being old school or uncomfortable with the words, though. With all three of her daughters my mom called the vulva our "crotch"! With our kids though, we are going to use the anatomically correct words.