Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What termonology do you use with DS/DD??

For DS is penis, butt, pee, and poop. And we avent gotten to the point of needing to name DD's girly parts.. so Im not sure there.. most likely vulva tho since I prefer correct terms.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
torio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh View Post

I agree, Megan! Thank you for encouraging parents to be clear with their daughters by calling their genitals "vulva" not "vagina"! We wouldn't confuse our boys by calling their penis a "urethra". Why confuse the girls by calling their vulva a "vagina"?
I understand about being old school or uncomfortable with the words, though. With all three of her daughters my mom called the vulva our "crotch"! With our kids though, we are going to use the anatomically correct words.
yeah that!!! Another vote for remembering that the "vulva" is the outer part of female genitalia. We also use vulva, penis, anus and will add more correct words as needed. We do enjoy belly button though. Growing up my parents always used "front fanny" and "back fanny." Since my father was the only male (and extremely uncomfortable about all body-related subjects) the difference between male and female "fannies" was never discussed.

Not ISO much, but fun 5t/6 girl or boy stuff might interest...

torio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
TLBW31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are so generic. We have 2 girls and we refer to their privates as their "tu-tu monkey" or just "tutu" or "monkey". And they butt is their "buttie-butt". And my oldest knows that boys are diff and we say that males have a "whoop-whoop".
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS knows his penis, but refers to breasts as boobies (he picked that up at daycare). He knows girls don't have a penis, but I got caught off guard when he wanted to know how girls pee. He said "ewe, girls pee out their butt" and I could not have him believing that. So I then explained the urethra and that he had one too, just that his was in his penis. That helped, but I have been struggling with what I will refer to DDs 'parts' as.

I was considering going with Oprah's "Va jay jay," but I love how you explained Vulva! I'm so clueless sometimes.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #15
anniefannie
Registered Users
seller

Wow! I've been thinking a lot about this lately because my DD is just starting to really try and say words (she'd almost 11mo).

When we take her to the bathroom, we ask if she needs to go "tee-tee" (and we make the sign for it) in the potty.

But I've been struggling trying to think of what to call her "va jay jay", if you will , while giving her baths...

I think I'll switch to vulva... it's really a very pretty word.

Thanks gals!
anniefannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
starina_bliss
Registered Users

My Mood:

my dd never asked specifically so she just kinda came up with her own names (pee butt and poop butt at first) and then later picked up some others from friends and family. i've told her the right names and she has a couple of anatomy books, but she has always used her own terms and i plan on doing the same with my 2nd dd. though i will admit we use the term pee pee for nearly everything because dd can say it easier

Last edited by starina_bliss; 07-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.
starina_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
luvin4kidz
Registered Users

My Mood:

My grandma always came up with the most hysterical words for body parts, and it was something different all the time. The pp who used the word "tutu"-I thought grandma was the only one! I about died laughing! For girls it was commenly a "susie" among many others.

As for me. My kids all know the "correct" terms and sometimes use them and sometimes not. I guess it depends on their mood. My 5 year old often uses the term "winkie" (he came up with that one on his own).
Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
AdelaideLucy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't really used any names with dd (2 1/2) intentionally. She once came up with "front booty" which I thought was hilarious! We say bottom... and I often make up silly names... like, let me wash your girly bits.... or something just to make her laugh. I do think it's important for them to know what everything is so that they are capable of explaining what hurts or if something is wrong... you know?
AdelaideLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
lissa2061
Knitting fool

My Mood:

I have boys and we use the proper terms for all the parts. It is rather funny when my four year old tries to pronounce testicles. The proper terms can be quite embarrassing when shouted out in public but I would rather them learn the learn names for their body parts.

Just today when we were leaving to go to church my eldest asked if he could take his penis with him. I about choked laughing and assured him that he would not have to leave it behind.
Mommy to Evan 4 (heart defect and stroke survivor) and Harry 3 (cute as a bug and into everything) knocked up with #3 due in May Adventures of an Awesome (Sometimes) Mother
lissa2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
teenibutterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa2061 View Post
I have boys and we use the proper terms for all the parts. It is rather funny when my four year old tries to pronounce testicles. The proper terms can be quite embarrassing when shouted out in public but I would rather them learn the learn names for their body parts.

Just today when we were leaving to go to church my eldest asked if he could take his penis with him. I about choked laughing and assured him that he would not have to leave it behind.
that is priceless!!! LOL
teenibutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote