Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
januarymama
Registered Users

Mirena and milk supply?

I'd love any feedback on this - I have an appointment to get an IUD Thursday and I'm going back and forth between the mirena and the paragard. I'd love your thoughts and things you like/dislike!

Advertisement

januarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Jeanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mirena and milk supply?

I've had the Mirena for 7 months and LOVE it! No problems w/milk supply at all. The first 2 months sucked cause I bled alomost the entire 2 months, but it was light bleeding. It was annoying, but worth it in the long run. That was my only complaint. Hope this helps.......
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
DaisyGraceBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: AutumnRoseJewelryCo
seller

I may be 1 in a million, but thats too much, I have the mirena (getting it out soon) I have developed cysts since I got it and a terrible pelvic infection. I think the paraguard is great though, I've heard good things about it.

Autumn-Rose: Mama to Houston & Daisy-Grace
Nursing Necklaces . Mama Cloth & Fleece Soakers
ISO/IHA
DaisyGraceBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have it. I don't have any complaints and I've had it for over a year.
It has not negatively affected my supply at all.

The primary reason I chose it was because of how safe it was from a breastfeeding perspective.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
eightdandelions
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have it, and never had any problems with supply. This may seem strange (grass is always greener I guess, lol) but the only thing I DON'T like about it is that I don't have a period. Just seems unnatural, plus if I were to get pg (which would most likely be ectopic) I probably wouldn't know. I've been going back and forth about whether to get it removed... but I DEF don't want another LO right now, and DH and I aren't so good about voluntary methods of bc, lol.

eightdandelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
januarymama
Registered Users

Thanks ladies. I'm soooo nervous about it. I really don't want to mess up my milk supply - we've worked really hard on BFing and it's super important to me. I wish the BC options for BFing moms weren't so crappy. BUT - I am absolutely not ready for DC #2. Wish I knew what to do.
januarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdandelions View Post
I have it, and never had any problems with supply. This may seem strange (grass is always greener I guess, lol) but the only thing I DON'T like about it is that I don't have a period. Just seems unnatural, plus if I were to get pg (which would most likely be ectopic) I probably wouldn't know. I've been going back and forth about whether to get it removed... but I DEF don't want another LO right now, and DH and I aren't so good about voluntary methods of bc, lol.
Does it feel weird walking around with something stuck up there? I've been thinking about it too but not ready to make the jump.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
osmom3kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE my Mirena! I had it put in for the first time in 2005 and then when we were ready to get pg again I had it removed and got pg after the first month. My 3rd son was born 2/12/08 and had the Mirena inserted at my 6 week checkup and once again I am loving it. My milk supply is great
Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
haelyn79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
I've had the Mirena for 7 months and LOVE it! No problems w/milk supply at all. The first 2 months sucked cause I bled alomost the entire 2 months, but it was light bleeding. It was annoying, but worth it in the long run. That was my only complaint. Hope this helps.......
except I've had mine for a little over a year now.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Diapersewingmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the mirena and had no problems with my milk supply. But I will say this, after getting the mirena, we noticed that our dd had enlarged boobies, they stayed like that forever (I had it inserted about 8 weeks pp). Then 2 years later I had it removed and about 1-2 months later my dd's boobs went back to being normal size.

New Innovative One Size Diaper
Diapersewingmama is offline   Reply With Quote