Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Re: Mirena and milk supply?

Mirena does not effect your milk supply. I got my IUD at 12 weeks PP. If you see my siggy, I haven't had a problem at all with my supply lol. ;D My DD has always been a chubby little one, too.

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Does it feel weird walking around with something stuck up there? I've been thinking about it too but not ready to make the jump.
You can't feel it at all unless you stick your finger in your vagina to feel the strings.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I had the Mirena but it fell out within the first month...My doctor says that only happens about 5% of the time. But you should be aware that it is a possibility. They offered me another one but the NP who put mine in...well, she wasn't very gentle and it hurt ALOT so I decided no......Good luck. I've heard lots of good things about the Mirena even though I didn't have such a great experience with it. I have a friend who's husband had a vasectomy after their second was born...she still got another Mirena because she loved it so much the first time...she just loved not having periods. She's still breastfeeding and it hasn't effected her milk supply at all.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I have it. I don't have any complaints and I've had it for over a year.
It has not negatively affected my supply at all.

The primary reason I chose it was because of how safe it was from a breastfeeding perspective.
Same reason I got it, also - I TTC'd for 2 yrs so I wanted something that would not assist w/ further issue - plus, i hate the pill and always forget!

I also still spot - but figure it will work itself out - i have my check-up on 6/4 and will ask if that is normal then.

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
jennekate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have friends with it and no supply issues with them!

proud mom to Ellie, 9/23/06
jennekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
kendra1178
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
I've had the Mirena for 7 months and LOVE it! No problems w/milk supply at all. The first 2 months sucked cause I bled alomost the entire 2 months, but it was light bleeding. It was annoying, but worth it in the long run. That was my only complaint. Hope this helps.......

No problems, and I love it.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I have had my mirena since 12/20/07, i have had no issues with it and my supply is great, i also dont get an af although i do sometimes get cramps..
if you do a search for mirena here on diaperswappers a bunch of posts will come up that you might like to read.
although it doesnt affect the milk supply of everyone it DOES affect the supply of some mama's.
also i dont feel the strings on mine, i have never been able to, i went to the dr a couple months ago because i wasn't sure if it feel out or if it was in place and it is fine, i still don't feel thr strings at all, i am told they curl around the cervix.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #18
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mere D'Anna View Post
You can't feel it at all unless you stick your finger in your vagina to feel the strings.
ew. okay thanks.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #19
januarymama
Registered Users

Thanks for all the feedback ladies - sounds like a lot of people really like it!

I had an appointment yesterday to get it, and I was all geared up, but then my midwife's office had to cancel because of a scheduling conflict.

I was wondering if maybe I should try the minipill for a month to see if it affects my milk supply, and then if it doesn't, I can try the IUD.
januarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #20
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently taking the mini pill and i'm suffice w/ it. I'd prefer not to be on anything - but hubby isn't too fond of other bf safe methods under his control! lol. My OB did not recommend the mirena because she said it was an abortaficient method of birth control - she explained it to me as it makes the uterine cavity a hazardous environment - you still ovulate - and can fertilize an egg with sex - but it cannot implant because of this - it will then starve out and pass w/ your next cycle - - that FREAKED ME OUT! So.... now I'm on jolivette - and it actually seems like ive had an increase in milk supply - which is a possible side effect i found on the web.... go with your gut - the mirena/mini pill are not permanent. GOOD LUCK MAMA!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote