Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many oz does a 9-month old drink at once?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BabyUnit View Post
I've been watching this, because I've been wondering the same thing myself, as formula numbers don't seem to be the same, but my word!!...can this be right...my 15 or so lb. 9 mo dd would be eating over 37 oz. a day!!...the stuff would be coming out her nose! As of now here's what we're doing with her eating 3 "solid" meals a day in addition to nursing/bm bottles:

nurse in a.m.
4 oz. with breakfast
4 oz. with lunch
larger 6 or 7 oz. bottle around 4:00
nurse between dinner and bedtime

She just had her 9 mo. well visit, and though she's always been on the small side, she is developmentally right where she should be and is growing well.
Well, if she's on solids, then obviously she won't be taking in as much bm. That 2.5 x weight formula is better used for babies not on solids, but really it's a reality check for most mamas. And FWIW, my dd wasn't on solids at 9 months (she refused), and based on how often she was nursing (3x per night) she was probaby eating around 40oz of bmilk...

Advertisement

kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Well, if she's on solids, then obviously she won't be taking in as much bm. That 2.5 x weight formula is better used for babies not on solids, but really it's a reality check for most mamas. And FWIW, my dd wasn't on solids at 9 months (she refused), and based on how often she was nursing (3x per night) she was probaby eating around 40oz of bmilk...
Well, I did figure it was for those not eating solids...guess I just think it's strange for them not to have a side note with a similar formula to figure how much bm would be needed for those older babies eating solids (since I would think many many people wanting that information have babies eating solids by 6-9 months), but then again, all the babies I know have been quite anxious to have other foods. I guess it would be virtually impossible to come up with a way to figure an amount considering all the variables with solids....guess they just figure we'll use that formula as a base and then subtract SOME...just makes me wonder though if my dd is getting enough...guessing my dd gets around 25 or so oz. a day and she doesn't eat a huge amount of solids...maybe 10-12 oz. total. Sorry so long ...just thinking "out loud" Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post

Wait a minute, here!!!! Breastmilk is the MAIN source of nutrition the ENTIRE first year. Solids are for fun and experimentation only. Majority of nutrition should be coming from BM, not solids. Solids should not be a part of the calculation at all.

For babies UP to a YEAR OLD, they should be taking in about 25oz in a day. NO, they do not NEED more oz as they get older, that is what is so awesome about BM. The milk changes to better suit their needs as they get older.

To calculate (since no one seems to read links), you take the 25 oz they should have in a 24 hour period and divide the number of times they nurse in a 24 hour period into it. That will give you how many oz. per feeding. SO, if baby nurses 10 times in a 24 hour period, then they are taking in approximately 2.4 oz. If they nurse 8 times in a 24 hour period then they are taking in approximately 3 oz.

ALSO, never judge how much they are taking by how much you can pump. AND, bottles work very differently than the breast, so if you don't give the bottle slowly and burp after every 1/2 oz -1 oz the baby will drink it way too fast and not realize they are full. You will also think the baby is "starving" since they "gulped" the bottle down so fast. Babies have to work at the breast to get milk out, bottles just let it drip out and into the mouth. If you combine the bottle dripping and the babies sucking like they are used to at the breast, they will empty the bottle rather quickly. That is why you are supposed to stop and burp frequently.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

My baby is 9 months and at daycare she takes 4 bottles that are about 2.5-3 oz each. She generally takes about 10-12 oz per daycare day (not counting nursing, of course)

FWIW, she's in the 5th%ile at 15.5 lbs. Her brother, the chunker who was 15 lbs at 2 months (averaged 90th %ile), only took 8-10 oz at daycare. So it can really vary by baby.

(and don't blah blah me about percentiles--I'm just trying to demonstrate the variation in size)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

...I am constantly in awe of how hostile this forum can get...really not much support at all. To original poster, my apologies if I in any way got us off track, and I hope you are having your questions answered.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
alybeth
Registered Users

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how little most of your babies do seem to eat from a bottle. I have an almost 4 month old who very rarely drinks from a bottle. Because of this I've never known exactly how much to gice him at a time. We used to do a 3-4 oz bottle (sometimes we take a bottle to church with us), but the past two times he's had a 3-4 oz, he is still very hungry afterward and drinks another 2-3 oz for a total of 5-7 oz at a feeding. I guess each baby really is different. =)
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybeth View Post
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how little most of your babies do seem to eat from a bottle. I have an almost 4 month old who very rarely drinks from a bottle. Because of this I've never known exactly how much to gice him at a time. We used to do a 3-4 oz bottle (sometimes we take a bottle to church with us), but the past two times he's had a 3-4 oz, he is still very hungry afterward and drinks another 2-3 oz for a total of 5-7 oz at a feeding. I guess each baby really is different. =)
It is a possibility that he is taking in too much, especially since he doesn't have a bottle very often. Bottles work very differently from the breast. If you don't give the baby a bottle slowly enough and burp after every 1 oz, the baby will drink it way too fast and not realize they are full. You will also think the baby is "starving" since they "gulped" the bottle down so fast. Babies have to work at the breast to get milk out, bottles just let it drip out and into the mouth. If you combine the bottle dripping and the babies sucking like they are used to at the breast, they will empty the bottle rather quickly. That is why you are supposed to stop and burp frequently.

Here is a link with some great info on Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
lnitti
Registered Users
seller

My co worker's 4-5 month old takes 3 8 ounce bottles of breastmilk a day at day care. I think my sisters baby does fewer larger bottles like that too.

i think it varies alot overall.
lnitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little man is pretty crazy. I work 4am-1pm. He drinks 6 ounces when he gets to my moms at 7:30 and then 6 ounces at 9am. (This is his routine, established by him....) Then he takes about 6 ounces when he wakes up from his mid-day nap. (Usually between 12:30 and 1:30pm, they used to try and make him wait for me, but he demands his milk.) Anyway, he eats again when I get home, whether he just finished a bottle or not. He is very particular and I have to be careful to try and convince him not to overeat. He snacks several more times throughout the evening. I would guess he eats about 25-30 ounces per day.

I agree about the bottle, he def eats more from the bottle than than the b**b. I sometimes feel like crying over how much milk he eats compared to what I pump, but since you are starting to pump now for that time period, you should be ok.

I always freeze 6 ounces per bag. If you are worried about not wasting bags, you could always fill them as full as the bags you use allow, thaw them in the fridge and then pour them into bottles to the amount you want her to eat at one time. (Although as I am writing this, I am thinking you probably don't have too many bottles, being as how you usually give straight from the tap and that you probably won't have too much notice as to when you need to put the ebm in the fridge since most babies generally don't give a couple days notice that they are on their way out. )
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babies need to nurse frequently for 2 reasons. First, BM is so quickly and easily digested. Second, their tummy's are tiny and you don't want to stretch them out. They are meant to nurse frequently during the day. From 6 months up to a year should still be nursing no less than 6 times a day and really should still be nursing atleast 6-8 times. I really don't see why so many people want to give them a big bottle or always expect a big meal so they can start spacing out the feedings to every 4 hours. They are not meant to go that long between feedings. They should still be nursing every 2-3 hours.