Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:
My supply is GONE, help!

I have been nursing DS around the clock every 60 minutes, taking fenugreek 3 times a day *have the maple syrup smell*, and he's still having plenty of wet dipes and gaining weight but my milk supply has really dropped. He is constantly hungry. he'll latch on, suck vigorously for a few minutes, unlatch and scream. It's like my supply is GONE I don't understand what's happened. I'm drinking almost 3 liters of water a day so I'm not dehydrated. I don't know what to do. I nursed him last night for almost an hour and he came off the breast and SCREAMED and rooted around like he never ate and I couldn't get him to latch back on so DH tried a pacifier and he wouldn't take it so he tried a bottle of EBM and he took 7 oz! after nursing off of both sides.. I don't know what to do. If he isn't getting full I can't keep this up.. I am in tears.. I REALLY want to make it to at least 6 months

Advertisement

Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My supply is GONE, help!

he is likely groing through a growth spurt and the best way to meet his demands is feed him like crazy--your supply will pick up just stick it out don't give up!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i agree with sarah
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Chrijodo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And a growth spurt was my initial thought too 4 days ago but now he's just down right refusing to nurse after about 10-15 minutes on each side because he's not getting anything/enough out of the breast. And then proceedes do take 5-7 oz by bottle. I'm not sure how to get him to stay latched on when he gets mad/frustrated because he isn't getting anything. Doesn't he need to nurse even if there isn't anything in order for my supply to know to pick up?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverDrakesMomma View Post
And a growth spurt was my initial thought too 4 days ago but now he's just down right refusing to nurse after about 10-15 minutes on each side because he's not getting anything/enough out of the breast. And then proceedes do take 5-7 oz by bottle. I'm not sure how to get him to stay latched on when he gets mad/frustrated because he isn't getting anything. Doesn't he need to nurse even if there isn't anything in order for my supply to know to pick up?
Bingo! I think that may be the issue. All of my kiddos got super lazy about nursing when they found out how easily milk flows out of the bottle.

With my younger two, I had to supplement at times because of supply issues and I used an ABS (at the breast supplementer.) It takes practice but it helps keep a baby interested in the breast while giving them the supplement and stimulating your breast to make more. PM me, if you want more info.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep like pp said-the bottle is super easy for lo to get the milk out--that is the whole problem with bottles(1 problem) --if you don't want to let him work or at least reverse the cycle you are in try hand expressing until you get to let down then pop your babe on. please don;t give up--there is really very little reason that your suply would just disappear--if I was you I'd put the bottle away and take a nursing reak for the next 24 hours--stay home abd nurse as often as he seems hungry-nu bottles and no other interventions--just nurse
gl hang in there-your body is amazing-it can and will feed your baby!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Chrijodo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I won't give up Sarah. I want this way too badly. I gave up too easily with my older son. He had a milk protein allergy and acid reflux and after 2 months of listening to him scream constantly the pedi suggested that I try formula for a weekend.. I did.. and that was the end of breast feeding.. he never latched back on after that and I didn't fight hard enough. I felt horribly guilty for MONTHS afterward and was deteremined to do better with DS 2 which I have.. he's 3 1/2 months old now and until recently was going well. DS 1 goes to daycare tomorrow and I will be camping on the couch with movies and baby and nurisng as much as he's willing. I'll continue to take the fenugreek and drink my water as well. I won't give up easily this time. And having you wonderful ladies as a cheering section is very helpful I appreciate the responses
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

one other thing I do when I want to help get a bit more milk (if I need to pump when I know I'll be away) is eat oatmeal-lots of it- you could try that- it certainly can't hurt and might help-feel free to pm me if you need moral support! My 2 los are sick so I'll be homw tomorrow and more than likely on here off and on--
I'll keep you in my thoughts - just remember you are more stubborn then your baby (a lactation consultant told me this when I was worried that Jack-a nicu you babe-was little-he's now a chubby almost one year old and still nursing happily)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just went through this a month ago with DD. She is a bit over 4 months now. Growth spurt! I nursed her every hour or so, even at night! She woke up for a week every hour or more, to nurse, nurse, nurse! I felt like I had no milk every time I fed her. I thought the same thing you are thinking. "What happened to my milk supply?" My boobs were tiny and limp, and had no milk! I did cave into a bottle about 2-3 times total. She gulped 6 ounces right after nursing! I just did not give up, though and drank alot of water as well as eating my oatmeal bagels (oatmeal helps milk production).

Now, I have plenty of milk! She gradually spaced out her feeding frenzy, and is back to waking up once during the night and eating every 3-4 hours during the day. It took a full week or so until it bounced back.

When I go to work (only once a week) I pump one time within a 9 hour period, so it works out to 4-5 hours inbetween nursing at home, and pumping at work, then pumping at home right away. I will get about 8-9 ounces when I pump.

Just keep on nursing mama! If you are nursing every hour, your babe is probably getting 1-2 ounces of milk each time he is nursing. So he is snacking alot, and still getting nutrition. He just needs to get through this growth spurt, and then he will let your boobs fill up again!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Chrijodo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Colleeny, thanks so much for your reply. The fact that you were just here a month ago and that it all worked out for you makes me feel so much better. He has only had one bottle in the last 4 days and that was the 7 oz bottle last night and today was "better" not the constant screaming all day but did start to fuss and get more crying etc in the evening when I know milk supply is low anyway at night.. so I'm going to ATTEMPT not to stress and take everyone's advice and NURSE NURSE NURSE because he got his stubborness from me and I'M older so I will win LOL. Again thanks everyone.