Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My supply is GONE, help!

Good luck mama, I agree with the oatmeal, I really see a boost in my supply if I eat it for a few days in a row! I make a triple batch and just heat it up for lunch and late night snack Less trouble to make a big batch and yummy!

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We went through this too for a few days. I somehow didn't give him a bottle...not sure how I didn't cave! I started the fenugreek along with mother's milk tea (4 tea bags a day) and oatmeal- so much oatmeal that it sounds disgusting to me now! Also- EAT A STEAK! Protein can REALLY help. Just keep at it. Ds isn't a pacifier sucker either, so it didn't work for me to try and keep him latched on because he'd just get pissed and refuse when he couldn't get anything. I'd just try to get him to stay somewhat calm for at least 45-60 mins and the nurse again that way there was something (though not much) there for him. You can do it mama!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

*sigh* I feel ya mama, I'm going thru this right now with my son..
I never had supply issues with DD, but for some reason, I've had issues with DS since he was a few weeks old- It's very discouraging, especially when you feel so helpless, wanting to feed them so badly and seeing them fuss and SCREAM.

I'm gonna make a bowl of oatmeal now

Good luck, hoping you both get thru this quickly!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama!

Dd2 and dd3 went through really LONG growth spurts at 3 months. I honestly think they lasted a month.

Just keep nursing when he wants to, it may seem like all day/night marathon's, but it will pass.

Also, a bf baby *usually* should never have more than 4 oz of bm in a bottle. It definitely sounds like he gulped the bottle down so quickly not necessarily b/c he needed that much, but the bottle works so differently from the breast. The bottle continually drips milk which forces baby to swallow when they do that they suck a little bit and that causes more milk to pool in their mouth which forces them to swallow again. It seems that they are hungrily gulping the bottle down when they are only trying to get a handle on all the milk. AND, since the milk comes out of the bottle so easily, he will prefer that over the breast b/c it is so easy. Instant gratification.

If he is being really fussy waiting for letdown, you can always pump until letdown occurs then latch him on. It is making it easy for him, but atleast he is getting the milk.

Oh, and sometimes too much water isn't good. Just drink to quench your thirst.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the oatmeal thing and I never really saw a boost until I started making steel cut oats. Supposedly the less processed the oats are, the more effective they are for increasing supply.

Here is an article on lactogenic foods.

I also noticed a boost when I was drinking Caffix (barley coffee substitute.) I hated MM tea and fenugreek never seemed effective for me. So, I would make a cup of Caffix double strength and drink that several times a day (if I was pumping, I would drink it at pumping times to help with letdown also.)

Good luck ladies. Keep up the great work!
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Try pumping before he's ready to nurse so that your milk has let down and your hind milk is already there. I'd do away with the bottle all together because he's getting used to that and it's much easier than your breast-he doesn't have o work for it at all. Unless you're away from him and can't nurse, don't give him a bottle.

ETA: Here is some info. I gave to a mama yesterday. Maybe it will help you, too.

Increasing your water intake. Try to get at least 80oz. in each day. I know that sounds like a lot! But it will help.

Eating oatmeal. Not instant-old fashioned rolled oats. You can add some honey and some brown sugar for taste. Looks for some cookie recipes that use rolled oats as a way to get these in to your diet. Oatmeal does wonders for your supply!

You can take alfalfa as a supplement. It's actually good for uterine muscle building, but also will help increase your supply. Just take the recommended dose on the bottle.

There are also a lot of foods you can eat to help. Anything rich in B Vitamins is great. Usually your green leafy veggies. Spinach is the best. Collard greens are great, too.

Also increase your protein intake. Lean proteins are best. Turkey, chicken and eggs. Cottage cheese is really high in protein. Peanut Butter is too. PB on whole grain toast is a really good snack. Cheese, beans (black, pinto and kidney beans are best).

Then, you can also get some Emrgen-C. People usually take it when they're sick to get some mega doses of Vitamin C. But, they make some that's for energy boosting, it's higher in Vitamin B than in C (but still has vitamin C) You can do 2-3 packets of that every day. Emergen-C comes in little packets that you stir in to water and drink. It tastes pretty good.

Last edited by tararaboomdeea; 05-26-2008 at 09:26 PM.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #17
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I say ditch the bottle and keep baby at the breast as often as possible. As long as there are plenty of wet dipes it's not a huge cause for concern. You won't get your supply up if you are giving the bottle, and the baby will start to prefer it over the breast. Also, many babies will take a bottle happily after nursing even if they are FULL.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Def sounds like a growth spurt momma. I second ditching the bottle!!!!!!!!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quaker makes oatmeal to go bars now in a variety of flavors and they are so yummy! I keep them by my nursing station with a glass of water. Its like eating a bowl of oatmeal, but you can do it one-handed!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I say ditch the bottle and keep baby at the breast as often as possible. As long as there are plenty of wet dipes it's not a huge cause for concern. You won't get your supply up if you are giving the bottle, and the baby will start to prefer it over the breast. Also, many babies will take a bottle happily after nursing even if they are FULL.
I've read that BF babies don't know how to regulate their eating from a bottle and all babies will drink 2-3 ounces even if they aren't hungery before the age of like 3 months.