Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, I'm about to stp CD-ing......

I've literally tried it all over the diaper periods of my 4 kiddos. If it's not buildup, and you want the easiest solution, try hanging your wet diapers and inserts to dry out in the sun. It really does work wonders on stink as well as stains
If hanging to dry outside is not possible, then add a very small amount of bleach (like 1/8 cup for a top loader, less than 1 tbsp for a FL), along w/your detergent, make sure it's well mixed in before adding your diapers, then double rinse. You'd be amazed how well this works. You only need to do it once in a while.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #22
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

We just had the stink issue when Rachel wet and we stripped all our dipes today:
We did our pre-wash in cold
Hot wash with 2 Tbsp dishsoap and 1/2 cup of Washing Soda
Keep rinsing on hot til the bubbles are gone
I'm really hoping it works - they don't smell now, we'll see if they do when she wets one tomorrow!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
cam&kat's_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok so this is a silly question bu tmy machine only has cold for rinse options.... So what do i do. I'm having the smae stink issues adn DD caries every time she pees if teh diaper sit son her wet for more than 5-10 minutes. Seriously. I'm changing her liek every hour adn she barely pees in them adn she's crying adn they smel awful! (Sorry to Butt in on teh thread but better than starting anoher of the same thing!! )
cam&kat's_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
rlharp5375
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say stop using the ALL free and clear. Several diaper manufactors have said that All free and clear should not be used on their diapers because it causes build up. By some Sun or something really cheap. The cheap stuff usually doesn't have the extra stuff in it that causes build up.

Try boiling the inserts for 5 or 10 minutes. I know mommas that swear that works when the vinegar hasn't. Go to diaperhyena.com. She has an awesome section about washing and getting the stink out. I do my diapers just like she recommends using Baking soda, cheap Sun detergent, and vinegar. I have never had a stinking problem.

Good Luck and don't give up.
Rachel
Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #25
Ginamcf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you need more hot water in your routine too. I have ultra hard water and I do:

1 cold pre wash
2 hot long wash with Allens
3 two hot extra rinses

When it gets bad I dump a huge pot of boiling water in with the long hot wash with detergent

I can't use any hemp or microfiber without stink so sometimes I add a tiny bit of bleach to a load with those items only and then rinse rinse rinse. Then let the diapers dry in the sun. The sun dry is optional but it helps too.

Adding tto, vinegar, water softeners or baking soda never worked for us.
Mommy to Ian (10), Gavin (3) and #3 due 3/09.
Ginamcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #26
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had stink problems from both Allen's Naturally powder and Bi-O-Kleen liquid. I've tried more and less detergent, vinegar, stripping, etc. What finally has worked for me is switching to tide (just a little bit) and I put TTO in .
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #27
ktoone
Registered Users
seller

I've got stink problems too, and I'm wondering if it's bc my water isn't hot enough? I keep the water heater set at 120, and I HATE to change it, bc my DD is just learning to turn the water on and wash her hands herself. I may turn it up for a day to strip them, but should this really make a difference in the daily washing routine??

I'm about to get some Allen's, and I hope that helps our problems. We've got a HE washer, and I just wonder if maybe there's not enough water? I do tons of rinses.

Can this post be made a FAQ or sticky?? I need all the laundry help I can get!!
ktoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #28
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybabies
The only time I ever had stink issues was when I was using All Free and Clear on my dipes.
AND they repelled, too!!! Anything w/ "optical brighteners" will potentially result in buildup (although they will "look" clean, lol!)
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote