Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
NathanNGabriel
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Let Down Too Fast

I've been struggling with this for a while now and the elevating him to be above my boob isn't working. He'll still start choking. Anybody have any suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by NathanNGabriel; 05-28-2008 at 04:57 AM.
NathanNGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let Down Too Fast

Have you ever tried the Australian hold?

Quote:
5. Australian Hold
This hold is sometimes recommended when a mother has too much milk or the flow of milk is too fast. There are two ways to do the Australian Hold

* Australian holdReclined position: Lie in a reclined position or lie flat on your back and place baby on top of you facing towards you. Position Baby so that his head is level with your breast and start breastfeeding.

* Sitting up: Your baby sits on your lap, facing you, and straddling on one of your legs. You hold the back of the baby's neck to support his head while he latches-on and drinks. Use pillows if Baby is not tall enough to reach your breasts. Because Baby is sitting up, gravity helps the milk find its way down Baby's throat. Also because Baby's mouth is level with your breast, the milk does not come gushing down as quickly.

Because you are reclined backwards or lying down, gravity will help your milk come out slower and there will be less chances of Baby gagging on excess milk.
Or, if it is just the initial letdown, can you manually express or pump off a little milk before you nurse him?
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just keep an extra prefold on hand to catch the flow when she popped off and most of let down would happen in that because nothing I did worked. Eventually they do get used to it! I think it took us 3 or 4 months. Now the only time she pulls off is if something interesting is happening, lol
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
NaturalUrbanMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD still chokes and she's almost 7 months.

Some things that helped me:
- Pump until the let down then feed
- Lie down at least at a 45 degree angle and then feed
- Lie down on the side and feed

Time helps.. with DS he stopped choking somewhere around 5 months so it seems we've got longer to go with DD, but they do get used to it.
NaturalUrbanMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
christianethansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Katherine* View Post
I would just keep an extra prefold on hand to catch the flow when she popped off and most of let down would happen in that because nothing I did worked. Eventually they do get used to it! I think it took us 3 or 4 months. Now the only time she pulls off is if something interesting is happening, lol
I agree. This is what I did with ds2. I have immediate letdowns as well. And the first ones are very strong. At first, ds2 would pop off but now that my supply s under control, he's fine with it. He still pops off once in a while if the flow is too strong for him. I used to pump until the first letdown and then I started getting lazy so I opted for the pf instead.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
xkellyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too have this problem. I swear I can shoot BM a good 3 feet! My LO, now 3 months, has started to get used to it, but still chokes occasionally. Sometimes she just pulls away and gets a milk facial and we both laugh.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd just got used to it--if she chokes, she pops off and then goes right back on (even when I'd swear she's still choking, but she apparently can still drink!). Lying on my side helps a lot--she has only choked at night w/side lying once. (At more than 8 months, I still spray like nothing, lol--dh says I hit his leg yesterday )
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
bethaniemiller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds's pediatrician gave me loads of handouts on overactive letdown reflex that had tons and tons of suggestions, most of which did not work at all. Something I did find that helped was to press down on my boob above the areola while I was letting down and it stopped it from spraying in a million directions at mach speed. Once I started doing that, the choking cut back tremendously.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
empress_embellishments
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I am feeling your pain. This was SOOO hard for us. DS would let go and scream in anger (as a newborn) and then get sprayed in the face which just made him more angry! At times he got so upset he refused to nurse. It was so traumatic for me. Plus he had reflux and gulping the milk made it worse because he was getting so much air that way.

DS is 16mo old now and only nursing 2-3 times a day, but if we miss a session and I have lots of milk, I can still spray him good, of course he couldn't care less now - he just leans back and watches the milk go everywhere and when he sees it stop spraying he leans in and starts nursing again. It is funny to watch him do that!

There are a couple of things that really worked for us, pinching my nipple between my index finger and middle finger to slow the flow until the initial let down was over or taking him off and holding a burp rag over me until the initial let down slowed. I also found that lying on my back with him face down on my chest combined with the pinch on my nipple was very helpful, that way the milk had to work against gravity. I didn't figure this out until DS was at least 2 months old, so I don't know how that would work with a newborn....but it was a great help for us. Side lying was helpful too, but not as effective as lying on my back.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odentonmom View Post
Have you ever tried the Australian hold?

Or, if it is just the initial letdown, can you manually express or pump off a little milk before you nurse him?
I actually started doing this on my own! It was the only way to prevent Evie from choking. Or I'd just hold a pf to my breast when my milk would let down.