Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: does your dc clothing match their gender?

When my dd was little she was always in pinks or purple or girly things. Now she is almost 14 and could care less about anything those colors She's more into the goth look so no pink for her.
For my boys I have always dressed them like boys, the blues and reds and greens. They all have a variety of colors and patterns but there is no mistaking they are boys, even when my oldest ds had long hair
If I was more of a girly girl I probably would be more elaborate on what my boys wear but I'm not a pinkie person so I just don't buy it any more since dd picks her own things out now.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
karlatta
Registered Users

My DD is 8 and definitely wears girly stuff, and it's all her choice. She loves skirts and tights, and pretty much every day she wears something pink.

My DS is 4 months old, and I usually gravitate to boyish clothes for him. He looks really good in navy blue, red, and yellow, so I tend to choose things in those colors. He doesn't look good in pastels (his skin is very dark - he's AA). I also love to dress him as a little man. Khakis, a polo shirt, etc.
karlatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #23
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

When I was still pg with DD, we were out shopping for some sleepers. DH found the cutest blue puppy sleepers in the "boy" section. He asked me "we can dress her in blue, right?" and I was so darned happy. We bought them.

I do put her in dresses and the occasional pink thing, but if I saw something that I wanted to dress her in even though it looked boyish, I'd still get it. Who cares if someone thinks she's a boy for the ten seconds they see her? How will that affect her?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #24
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
I don't believe in gender-typing, so no. I think it's really sad that girls can wear blue (hey, it's my favorite color!) but boys aren't extended the same courtesy. My son will be allowed to wear pink, play with dolls, ect. if he wants to. He has a ton of diapers that most people would say are "girly". That's fine with me, because my son is an individual, and I'm not going to let society dictate what is okay and what isn't okay for him to wear.
It isn't fair. You can dress a girl in old ratty overalls and a boys shirt, and she looks adorable. But, if you put a boy is something that looks even a LITTLE girly, people assume you dress him in his older sister's clothes.

I remember a kid in school, who will forever be known as "pink bike boy". He rode his sister's hand me down bike all through fifth grade. I thought he was nuts. But, I absolutley loved riding my brother's hot green stingray with a banana seat. So, it's a double standard.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #25
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I dress both of my girls girly. My oldest, who is 5, prefers dresses for now. I hope that continues.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey
Aww, I want a curly haired baby.
I have a curly haired girl! She has jet black curls and I think they are absolutely beautiful. They are wild an crazy, and suit her personality perfectly Older dd has waves on top, ringlet curls on the bottom. usually we dry her hair straight.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #27
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

What do we consider girly or boyish.

Sophie is very much a tomboy and loves jeans and tees(covering boxer briefs )

Ian is totally into all things boys and dresses the part.

Poor Taci. I put her in whatever I grab first in the morning
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #28
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

There are some boy clothes that look adorable on girls, but put a dress or something pink on a boy and it's weird.

That said... I'm not a Gymboree shopper but a friend sent me a link to their "preview" for the holidays. I'm in love with the boys things..... I'd put the puppy clothes on my daughter.

(This is the link, admit it, the puppy dog outfits are adorable-- the hat is what I love! http://junkjungle.com/holidaym.html)

I am looking forawrd to DD having eough hair to do something with. It's showing signs of being curly so I'm crossing my fingers.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #29
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes - he's all snakes and snails and puppy dog tails boy. I tried putting him in some cute boutique type outfits when he was a baby and he looked silly in them. Now it's overalls and tshirts.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #30
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My son has always dressed like a boy to some extent. No sports or truck/car items tough more like reds and such. His favorite color for 3 years was purple so he had a ton of purple tops, a jacket and boots. No one ever questioned him being a girl though.

My older dd is girlie girl all the way ~ pink and purple are her fave colors. we do lots of skirts and dresses, frilly too!! i love it.

Lilly has been wearing mainly pink although I did buy a girlie baby blue and mint green outfit the other day for a little variety.