Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #21
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A lady in my church says I am going to KILL my baby!!!

There are no required vax for the Dominican Republic. We are a non-vaxing family anyway... but i did look into it just to make sure that I wasn't putting him in harms way by not getting him vaxxed for something in particular. It is a low malaria risk area and they have VERY low numbers as far as pertussis & Hep A & B go, the island is also not one of the places affescted by the recent yellow fever epidimic... the only slight concern was that they had once though that polio was eradicated from there, but they had 10 or 11 cases in the late 1990's, but there has been no reported case of polio there since 2001.
He will be around the kids in the orphanage, but will be in his sling, so there will be minimal contact... and doesn't eat any solids yet. only EBF... so i won't have to worry about him getting a food borne illness (just me on that one!) I plan on taking salt tablets with me to help with keeping myself hydrated enough to feed him.
I have already got very light colored, thin cotton clothing set aside to take for him and a floppy big brimmed sun hat to keep the sun off his head.

We will also be inside a hotel/motel at night away from the nighttime bugs. (It is a $15 per night place, so it won't be much, but at least it'll be enclosed indoors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericak95 View Post
WTG for you

IMO, you're not risking his life. I assume he will have to be fully vaccinated to enter D.R.? (for give me if I'm ignorant on the "requirements" of traveling abroad) About the only things that I would be concerned with are the contagious diseases that he might be exposed to -- so I think that is where my focus would be, not the heat/humidity.

Hopefully, someone else has experience in keeping a LO cool in the heat/humidity.

Erica

Advertisement

JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #22
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz_Doll View Post
I know there is a HUGE difference in a 4 month old and a 1 year old, but 2 of my cousins were in the Dominican last summer and are planning a return trip next summer with their two babies who will both be around a year old. (I was invited, but I am not even comfortable taking my baby on a week long camping trip in the mountains here in Alberta)
Their biggest concern is Malaria, they didn't mention the climate at all while I was talking to them....
It's a personal choice.
Were they in a rural remote area? Or in a resort?

I wouldn't lecture you about what you are planning, but I, personally, would not take a baby to a third world country into a rural remote area.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #23
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

*Rolls eyes* your church lady needs to get off the meds. I took DD to Jamaica a month ago and she's very much alive. And, no, she's not acclimatized to hot weather - we're Canadian for crying out loud. It was snowing both when we left and when we got back. That I think was the first time she'd seen the outdoors without snow. She was 5.5 months when we were down there.

Make sure you drink lots of water, let your baby nurse on demand, dress him appropriately and wear him in a lightweight sling. Do make sure that he's protected from the sun, and he'll be fine. That lady is so far out of line....
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #24
Sammy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a strange way for this lady to approach you about this subject... DEATH SENTENCE... specially from the mouth of a christian person... maybe she's not very articulate...

Well let me tell you my opinion, I don't think you will kill your son, I was raised in Angola/Africa, in the middle of a war that has lasted for the last 40 years if not longer. It will be very very hot, and you'll have to drink alot of water, wich I don't know if it will be ok for you to drink where you are going, will you have bottled water? if not you might get the runs , which is not so fun if you are BF...
Also food will be different, will that affect your LO digestive system?
I saw on your siggy you don't vax, and that is not good at all for places like that, heat +humidity= mosquitos, and those =malaria, I had it, and 15 years after I left Africa I still have attacks once in awhile. I'm very sure you won't even be able to leave the country to 3rd world places without vax to tell you the truth.
I would take some formula in case something happens to your milk, just to be safe.
Also of some concern for me would be how far the hospital is, not paranoid here, just caucious, afterall you'll be with a baby.
Ok, to tell you the truth living what I lived I wouldn't go with such a little baby, yes those kids "survive" there, but there is no reason your son has to go thru it, it wouldn't even be an experience for him, he will not remember when he is older anyway...
If you wait a little longer you'll still be doing a good thing for the kingdom and the missions will still be able to use you.
I hope this helps.

We stock at:http://hyenacart.com/CreativeMamas/
Sammy'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 AM   #25
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

I personally wouldn't do it, but you will do what you feel is best.

Here is a website with info about traveling to the DR:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinati...c.aspx#notices
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:

i don't think you are endangering his life by any means. i probably wouldn't do it. but then agian, i probably wouldn't be going with or without a baby but i wouldn't tell you not to either. keep him dressed apropriate, hydrated, you stay hydrated.. cover him up and put on sun block and you'll survive. it's not like you are going from 10 below zero to 120 or something...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #27
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

My DH wants to know if you planned on CDing while you were there?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #28
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Unlike most posters, I would totally go and take a four month old with me! Of course, DH and I would like to do career missions in the future... I have never been to DR, but I don't see the big deal. Malaria would probably be the biggest concern, and you addressed that in another post.

I think as long as you drink to thirst and continue feeding baby on demand, you'll be fine. I don't think the heat will be a big deal. Keep him in the shade. It's not like he'll be laying tile. Working in the heat is probably what made the men the lady knew pass out. And the fact that men are stubborn and probably weren't drinking enough water.

I think four months old is really a pretty good age to take a baby. He's not eating solids so no risk there. He's not old enough to crawl so he won't be wanting down on nasty floors. He's not going to be walking around sticking everything in his mouth. I just don't really see anything that can happen with him riding around in a sling breastfeeding.

Have a good time. Mission trips are life changing experiences!

Last edited by paintedbison; 05-29-2008 at 05:50 PM.
paintedbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #29
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow... there are a bunch of us up late Thanks for all the quick replies!
I realize this trip is in no way risk free, but neither is driving to Wal-Mart, or even sitting here in my own home with all the crazies that are out there.
I thank you all for your honesty... I also forgot to add that I have already spent $200 on mine and Aiden's passports, and $500 on the airline tickets... so this trip is already paid for!!!
Some people from church who have already been have already warned me about the "runs!" We will have some bottled water with us, but probably not enough for everybody for the whole trip, so we will be drinking some of the water there.
we will be eating fresh fruit from the curbside markets for breakfast, we will be having lunch at the orphanage each day (whatever is normally served there) and we will be walking into the city at night to eat at a restaurant each night after we walk thru the villages handing out food and clothes to all who come out to hear the streetside preaching.
The women who are going will be doing the following: bagging rice into small bags to give away in the village, painting walls in the new construction, washing laundry, and helping to keep the orphans out of the new constuction area, and assisting with lunch cooking and clean-up.

Someone mentioned the social saftey aspect such as war etc... there is no current war there, however it is a pretty lawless area/country in general and we will be Americans in an extremely poor area, so we could of course be somewhat of a target... but we will be in a large group. So there will be saftey in numbers.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #30
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YEP I am taking old ratty PF's though, nothing fancy. I know that they CD at the orphanage there, so it would be kind of unfair if I come in with sposies anyway
In my mind cloth woul be the easier option anyway, taking enough sposies to last a week would be a whole other luggage bag in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicasso View Post
My DH wants to know if you planned on CDing while you were there?