Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
argecash
Registered Users

Limit Feeding Time?

Today I told our pediatrician that my 8 week old DS eats for around 50 minutes at a feeding and she suggested I only let him eat for 20 minutes per breast at the most. She said after I cut him off a couple of times he will learn to eat more quickly and efficiently. My concern is that he won't get the hindmilk. I tried it a little while ago and he went crazy and cried his eyes out. Has anyone else successfully limited feeding time? I don't want to deprive DS and I wouldn't mind feeding him for so long but I feel like all I do is feed him.

Advertisement

argecash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Limit Feeding Time?

That is silly! There is no need to limit your LO's feeding. That sounds really silly to me. He'll learn on his own time and soon feedings will be fast... well that is what happened with us. Isabelle always took 20 minutes to eat, but ate everyone 1 1/2 when she was that small, but now at 10 months, she chugs through it in 10 and goes every 3 hours and only gets one solid feeding a day.
IMO if you feel comfortable feeding him 50 minutes or more than don't let the ped stop you.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do but I started when DS was born. He's 6 weeks and cuts himself off at 30 mins now. its really nice to not have to sit there for 1 hr. I always let him eat off one side till there's no more then the next time start on the other side to make sure he's getting the hind milk. this works really well for me and my DS is thriving but might be different for others. use your judgment not peoples opinions and I'm sure you'll do great
mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
fuzzycakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

do what you feel is right, but if it were me, I wouldn't listen to the ped. Besides getting enough to eat, they go through a bunch of growth spurts, where they need to nurse more before the growth spurt(even though you're empty) to get your supply higher for when they are IN the growth spurt.
~Rebecca~ mamma to DS#1 Emmett (10/26/06) , DS#2 Henry (6/2/08) , and DS#3 Calvin (9/17/09)
fuzzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
immamom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I second that- I dont believe in limiting feeding. We also have to bear in mind what just because baby is at the breast sucking it does not necessarily mean that baby is eating. Breast feeding is also a source of comfort.

If you are concerned about whether or not baby is getting enough milk, what I would suggest, is to watch the way your baby is sucking and swallowing to make sure that your little one is getting enough milk. This will help you know when to switch breast. Jack Newman (someone correct me if I have the name wrong) has some on line videos on this.

But if the baby wants to suck and its OK with you then let your little one suck. Im always amazed by some of these doctors and their breast feeding advice. i Hope this helps

Love protects www.love146.org
immamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

If the length of his feedings isn't causing problems for you, then I wouldn't change anything. I've breastfed all 4 of my children and they are all different, some eat slowly, some are fast and efficient. Besides pediatricians know very little about breastfeeding, if you are concerned contact a LC or LLL.

ETA: I just went back and reread that your LO is only 8 weeks old, he will likely become more efficient as he gets a little older. Once a baby becomes active they are less likely to nurse for extended periods of time because they are too busy. Let him do what he needs to do and when your pedi gives bad advice just nod and then do what you know is best.

Last edited by Jillybean; 05-30-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told that the most children needed to nurse was 15 on each side every 3-4 hours. That went flying out the window since both my boys are/were boobaholics. I have let them feed on one side per feeding time to ensure that they got all the hindmilk they needed. If you don't mind being with your LO that long, don't try to limit feedings since it could impair his growth. And relax, he'll go longer between feedings and eat quicker soon enough. You'll be wanting to get this time back when he's doing drive by nursings.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

He'll definitely learn to be a faster eater soon enough, no need to "teach" him by cutting him off. Bf'd babies limit themselves so he's not going to eat more than he needs, if he's nursing that long it's because he needs to IMO.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I heard the same thing on House of Babies yesterday. 20 minutes on one side, then 20 on the other, etc. If the baby doesn't like that though, I wouldn't force it on him.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHAT A MORON!!!!! Does that person want someone to tell him/her how much they should eat? I think not.

The baby is still figuring it all out and hasn't become "efficient" yet, AND 8 weeks is a huge growth spurt.

NEVER, limit feeding time. The baby knows what he/she needs, so let them take care of it. Some babies really enjoy the snuggling and cuddling of mama and will take their time and nurse. Other babies want to nurse quickly and move on to something that is attracting their attention. Whatever the baby does is fine, they know what they need and how best they want it.

Next time you should tell that ped how about if someone tells you that you have 10 minutes to eat your lunch and then you are done.