Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Went to the peds, I'm so irritated!!

DD had her 4 month Well Child visit and although I really our pediatrician I'm so irritated, not really at her but just the whole plain system.

I had to sign a form about refusing/declining to vaccinate. I had heard about these forms from posts so I wasn't too shocked. I didn't read the words and basically spaced over what the ped said about it other than we don't need to sign another one until we get to the later vacs- like the MMR. This was after I had the whole...babies and kids die from these disases...and it's really a shame when a vaccine is available. I had counterpoints such as not very many children die, etc which she couldn't deny.

She's aware that we just need more time to make an informed choice and that I wasn't saying that we won't or will vaccinate. She is open and friendly about it and says that we can selectively choose, etc.

My gripe is that why should I (pp) sign (I know I already did) a form saying that we are refusing medical advice just to protect the medical doctors? I mean it's not like the child HAS the disease, illness, etc and you aren't getting treatment so a vaccine is just a protection for something you HAVEN'T gotten. They don't have you sign a form when you have an ear infection and choose not to use antibiotics? How is that different? And in that case you've been confirmed with the infection? AGHH...just so irritating because it's almost like you feel bullied into getting the vacs and they make it so hard to refuse. Why should the gov't be SO involved in vacs in the first place? They don't provide complete care if you get sick( how many pp have access to affordable healthcare?). Is it right for our gov't to be involved in your own health decisions?

I'm mad at myself for not reading the form I signed, not that it really matters but it's the principle for me. I like to read everything I sign. I did it because I didn't want the hassle and the back and forth when I haven't even made up my mind about delaying, giving, selective or not giving in the first place. Besides, I figured that any gov't agency (such as CPS) wouldn't have a case against us for not getting medical care for our child. Since she's been born we've visited the peds about 18 times now (has GERD) and have been active in getting her medical care. Besides, it's not like I'd sue the peds for not giving her the vacs, I'm a responsible adult realizing I'm making decisions and understand that there's a risk involved in EVERY decision in life, not just whether to vac or not.

Thanks for listening. Poor DH heard it repeated about 5 times last night...and we're not completely on the same page about it. He thinks it's okay to sign forms because he understands why they have you do it...well so do I but I don't think it's right.

okay, I'm off my

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
gamecaco4
Registered Users

Re: Went to the peds, I'm so irritated!!

Quote:
Besides, it's not like I'd sue the peds for not giving her the vacs
Some people would try to if their child did get sick (with one of the illnesses vac's help to "prevent").

I think being asked to sign the form is for the same sort of reason they ask you to sign a form when you go in for surgery. Its to save everyone elses butt in case something tragic happens. In the gov'ts eyes, apparently there is risk in not vaccing.

Does that makes sense?

Last edited by gamecaco4; 09-22-2006 at 07:29 AM.
gamecaco4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Would your DH be open to you writing a typed, signed and dated note for DD's chart? You're right, you're not refusing, you are just still trying to make your decision.

Do not be too quick to assign blame to the ped. She is just doing what her boss and/or insurance company told her to do.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I know it's the policies of the ped's office and insurance, etc. and I understand why they have you do it. I just don't agree that they should have you sign a form saying that you are going against medical advise JUST to protect themselves. It just seems to be a double standard, b/c like I said if you don't take your antibotic RX when you've been confirmed with an ear infection, etc and it's medical advise to take the RX, they don't have you sign a form saying your going against medical advise. There's risk with taking and not taking the antibiotic, no? And with a surgery, you are signing a form indicating you understand the risk(s) of the surgery, but you are actually getting the medical care. With vaccines, it's to protect you from something you DON'T have. Of course there are risks both ways, but when else you do have to sign a form for not taking medical advise for something you don't have? When you go sky diving- your signing because you are doing something, when you do some activity...you are doing, when you get surgery...etc. Do they have you sign a form when you refuse to not do chemo if you have cancer? (I honesty don't know the answer to that but I would imagine they don't)

I dislike that our society is so into suing and not taking responsibility for making decisions and accepting the consquesnces.

If I was really competely against it, I wouldn't have signed the form. It's just a rant and find it really frustrating b/c I feel so much pressure to get vacs from the public, ped, gov't, fam & friends. It feels like your not respected or your a terrible parent if you just want to ask questions, like how likely is it for you or DC to get this illness? What are the side effects, etc. and are their medication interventions, treatment if the condition does surface. I feel it's healthy to question what you've been told b/c utimiately your responsible for your actions. It seems to me that many pp just stand in line getting vacs without researching/questioning and if you do, there's something wrong with you for not believing what the drs and peds are telling you.

Also, I don't feel that it's the gov't right to be so involved our medical decisons unless they are willing to give pp the proper follow up care.

I really DO understand their point of view on why they have you sign the forms, I don't think it's right to sign a form to protect their interests when it would already be noted in the person's health chart.

My

Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Having people sign those forms is like putting the "Caution:Contents are Hot" sign on coffee and tea cups at fast food places. People think "why the H@@@ do I have to do this" but just think someone had to have tried it for them to be making you sign the paper. You have to remember that there are people in this world who don't have a bit of conscience about things like this. There are people in this world who would refuse treatment and then sue when their child (or adult) would die because THEY refused medical treatment.
BTW, people who do vax have to sign a similar form, too!! It's just a sign of the times.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Too funny, I agree with the McDonalds coffee- caution contents may be hot! It sure better be or I'm gonna ask for a fresh one! LOL!

Wow, I didn't know they made you sign a form when you give vacs. You're right it is a sign of the times.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
8blessings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan
It feels like your not respected or your a terrible parent if you just want to ask questions, like how likely is it for you or DC to get this illness? What are the side effects, etc. and are their medication interventions, treatment if the condition does surface. I feel it's healthy to question what you've been told b/c utimiately your responsible for your actions. It seems to me that many pp just stand in line getting vacs without researching/questioning and if you do, there's something wrong with you for not believing what the drs and peds are telling you.
my thoughts exactly!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Thats funny because like a PP said, I have to sign a form when DS gets his vaxes incase he has a bad reaction so that I can't sue the doctor.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep! We aren't vaxing anymore, but when we were, you have to put your initials next to each and every vax that's listed on the chart.

But yeah, it is pretty sad that it has to be that way. And I *also* think there is too much pressure to vax. I see pro-vax stuff everywhere (Dr.'s offices, magizines, TV even) but I never see anything that says "hey, you should really educate yourself before you vax". Otherwise, I would have never vaxed Bram at all. But until I got the internet back and started talking to other mamas, I didn't think I had a choice!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm pretty frustrated trying to find non-biased information. It seems to be completely one sided which makes the decision making that much harder for me. I respect pp decision either way and understand but I need some just plain facts and not biased info/facts that are thrown out there.

I don't want to not vax because I can't find info either... so I'm on the quest to find out what I need to know to make an informed decision.