Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often does your ebf baby wake?

my son sleeps 7pm to 7am and then eats every 2 hours during the day. He is 8 months old. He'll have spurts where this changes but not for long and he goes back to this routine.

Advertisement

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
christianethansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds2 is 10 months old and usually wakes 2-3 times to feed at night. But when he wakes, it could be just a couple sucks and then back to la la land or he could nurse for a little while. Co-sleeping really helps because he can self latch and unlatch when he's done. And as the other mamas mentioned, the night feedings vary at different times. He's been STTN 12 hours + lately but just last month was waking numerous times to nurse at night.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
bama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys! He's just work up for the second time since 7:30, (its 11:15 here) I am going to keep him in his room and see if I can slowly change his pattern. He is a big boy, and doesn't nurse a lot during the day (I don't know why) so I am going to try to encourage more daytime nursing and see if that helps!
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
hobbsandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Thanks guys! He's just work up for the second time since 7:30, (its 11:15 here) I am going to keep him in his room and see if I can slowly change his pattern. He is a big boy, and doesn't nurse a lot during the day (I don't know why) so I am going to try to encourage more daytime nursing and see if that helps!
Hang in there! Totally push the feedings during the day. My son was tough at night as well (after having the dream-sleeping-baby as his older sister it was a rough wake-up call for me...literally) and he finally started sleeping consistently through at around 4 or 5 months, but I had to nurse him every two hours during the day to make that happen. Cal also had to be in his own room very, very early on because he is just SO noisy and restless...and he would wake up at the slightest motion or sound from anyone else.

I know there are mamas here who are up for YEARS multiple times a night, and I have the utmost respect for and awe of them - I think I would die. I'm with you - I need sleep too, or everything is a mess.
baby keelah . 3 months, finalizing adoption now!
hobbsandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Good luck, mama!

Although for you and for lurkers, I just wanted to say that babies need approximately 25 oz of bm in a 24 hour period. If they are not getting all of that during the day then they will and need to get it at night. I would REALLY CAUTION those who think the baby is just waking up out of "habit" to nurse. It may be that they are hungry and really need the milk to help their daily "quota." So, the best thing is to do what you mentioned and nurse baby as often as you can during the day and try cluster feeding at night before bed.

I do NOT recommend the baby whisperer book and especially babywise. They do not take into account that babies are going through developmental milestones, daily distractions, etc. They just think babies should be little machines that go down at exactly the same time and wake up at exactly the same time every night.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #16
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah--it's not the feeding, it's the baby...

Here's my experiences:

Both of my babies were/are EBF. Asa was up 3-6 times a night well past a year. He did not sleep through the night until he was 22 months old (a month after my daughter was born!).

Ellis is up ONCE a night and has been since birth. I feel her at 11, then I go to bed. She gets up at 4 or 5 and wants to eat--then goes back to sleep until about 10:00 AM.

Maybe next time you'll get a sleeper, mama! Sorry you are so sleep deprived. I totally relate. I was really worried Ellis would be the same as Asa and I wouldn't get any good sleep for four years at least! Thank God that didn't happen!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to say. I don't co-sleep. I have 5 kids and none of them have been in our room past 3 months, I just can't sleeep with them in there and I need sleep, I have 5 kids, lol!

I say, let him learn to sleep in his crib and also don't rush in at the first sounds of fussing, I would nurse him before he goes down around maybe 8:30-9, then "Dream Nurse" again before you go to be say...11pm or when ever, you said you are a night owl.Dream nursing is going in and nursing him, basically in his sleep, keep the room dark, no diaper change or talking or anything.

Then let him sleep and see how he does. If he wakes up, listen to him, I would let him fuss about 3-5 minutes, if he really needs you by all means go feed him but if he falls back alseep, then well WOOHOO!

Catherine got up once a night between the dream nursing and 7 am until she was 8 months old, now she is steeping from 11 ( still wake ehr and feed her, sh ewas having weight issues) until about 6:45 am , not to bad. Oh and she goes to bed at 8:15 ish.

Also, you are right to feed more often in the day, like every 2-3 hours, so he can get all his calories in during the sunny times!

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #18
ALLISOKOBX
Registered Users
Formerly: soon2bmom
seller

My Mood:

I think boys tend to more needing. my two sons seemed to nurse all night and day! it really wore me out. they were about 6 months old when they started sleeping threw the night. but my two girl would sleep 4-5 hour stretches at night from day 1. some kids are just that way. is he hungry every time? my DH can hang out w\him while u sleep. when 3 yo takes nap try to have baby nap and u can try 2 rest. there is no trick to get babies to sleep longer and just remember its only a phase and you will miss it when they are grown. good luck 2u
Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well my son is 17 months and still wakes at night.

He usually will sleep from 7:30pm-12am...then it seems he wakes every 2 hours! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! He is fairly restless. We co-sleep...I guess you can call it that...I think it's the "Mommy is tooooooooooooo tired to get up and put you in your crib method"

I'm trying to limit his feeds at night, but that's the only time we really have to nurse since I work full-time. KWIM?

Oh, he cries up a storm when I say...."milk is sleeping"...it's like someone took his breast friend away!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

People hate me when I say this, but only 1x a night. DS will sleep from 10-4 nearly every night, but even when he doesn't, I usually get at least 4 hours of straight sleep out of him. He's been doing this for a few weeks already.